I'd love to be a console gamer...but

Status
Not open for further replies.

mt_100

Limp Gawd
I just can't get used to the controls on those darn controllers. I really wish the 360 would give true keyboard and mouse controls on games as a lot of the games for it are sweet.
Does anyone think the console makers will give us true keyboard and mouse controls like the PC in the next iteration of their hardware?

Ya, I just bought an Elite and have a hell of a time trying to aim with COD4 and Halo.
I can kick ass on the PC, but can't get the hang of quick and precise aiming with the thumbsticks.

I love the racing games on the 360 and I do have the steering wheel and pedals which makes the game feel very realistic.

Buy a Phantom

HAR HAR HAR

Yeah, sooner or later a KB/M will be bundled.
Internet: Check
Streaming Media: Check
Built in browser: Check?

Yeah, its time for a keyboard and mouse.

Dumb question, but what is a Phantom?

A video game system that never came out, and never will.

As far as the original topic is concerned... practice, practice, practice... It was a little weird getting use to FPS, on the console, when I first started, but eventually you get much much better. I wouldn't be surprised if we see m/kb support completely, next generation, but I'm also hoping (and optimistic) that it won't happen. I'm one of those people who thinks consoles should leave the mouse and keyboard to the PC, and have no problem gaming on both.

Yea I doubt I will ever get into a FPS on console because of this. Other types of games I generally don't have a problem though.

Yeah, I struggled for a long while with it... but I'm at least competent now. :)

Yeah, I struggled for a long while with it... but I'm at least competent now. :)

+1

I was PC only for years, now I've been console only for just over a year, even FPS.
I don't miss installing games or fiddling with drivers, or buying a new video card for every new AAA title.

+1

I was PC only for years, now I've been console only for just over a year, even FPS.
I don't miss installing games or fiddling with drivers, or buying a new video card for every new AAA title.

OMG PC GAMING IS SO MUCH BETTAR!:mad:

/grabs popcorn

Umm... practice? What else needs to be said? It took me years of being an Ctrl and arrow-key FPS gamer before I would take up a mouse. And even longer before I got good at it. It was the same for picking up a console.

I enjoy playing Unreal Tournament 3 more on my PS3 than I did on my 3.0ghz C2D / 3870x2 PC... and that's with the PS3's shitty Suxasses gamepad.

Blasphemy?

I'm not sure why anyone would want a mouse and keyboard on their 360, but there is an adaptor out there to let you use that setup. A lot of the sites that sell mod chips have them.

Will be the death of halo if you can use Keyboard and Mouse.
Would completely ruin most online multiplayer shooters.
Having to aim with the controller is kinda the whole point.

I feel you friend, i'm so terrible with analog sticks, but i still manage to have fun.

I just can't get used to the controls on those darn controllers. I really wish the 360 would give true keyboard and mouse controls on games as a lot of the games for it are sweet.
Does anyone think the console makers will give us true keyboard and mouse controls like the PC in the next iteration of their hardware?

which is why when i gave up PC gaming i gave up first person shooters....they got pretty old to be honest anyways....there's more than enough other great games on the 360 to satisfy anyone and i was always into racing games more than anything anyways, and the 360 controllers are perfect for that...so it was a perfect fit for me

While I'm 100% better with a mouse, I'd actually be shocked if we didn't see the opposite happen. I actually think you'll see the mouse go away.
Say what you want about better control, but PC shooters aren't selling even 1/2 what their console counterparts are selling now. There's a whole generation coming up that doesn't care about the mouse.
With items like touch screens and wii-mote type controls gaining momentum, I actually think the mouse is on it's way out in the next 10 years.
The keyboard's a necessary item for typing, but as a gaming device it's antiquated and just a bunch of random buttons organized for typing that gamers just accepted as a neccesity when there was nothing else back in the 80's and 90's. It adds nothing to the consoles except for typing.

The thing that really annoys me with console is the lack of ad hoc saves.
I hate to start again (and again) the same mission.
It is boring and a waste of time. :mad:

I want to be able to perform a save whenever I want!

thats purely a software developer issue, not a console issue, many console games allow you to save ad-hoc, it's up to the developer to choose how to implement saves in their game

That annoyed me greatly at first, but I've come to appreciate checkpoint saves. I used to get a constant saver in games. Every time I cleared a room I saved, every time I progress 10' I saved, or every time I took down a mob. But, on consoles, when you have to progress through five rooms all over again, I started appreciating how well I have to play to keep going. You can't just reload over and over again to get the perfect headshot, you have to get it right the first time and every time. I think the checkpoints force you to be a better player.

True, that's not their reason, but it's turned into such, IMO.

While I'm 100% better with a mouse, I'd actually be shocked if we didn't see the opposite happen. I actually think you'll see the mouse go away.
Say what you want about better control, but PC shooters aren't selling even 1/2 what their console counterparts are selling now. There's a whole generation coming up that doesn't care about the mouse.
With items like touch screens and wii-mote type controls gaining momentum, I actually think the mouse is on it's way out in the next 10 years.
The keyboard's a necessary item for typing, but as a gaming device it's antiquated and just a bunch of random buttons organized for typing that gamers just accepted as a neccesity when there was nothing else back in the 80's and 90's. It adds nothing to the consoles except for typing.

alone? yes its antiquated. but COMBINED with a mouse, makes it very precise with movement and aim.

Ah, a PC gamer took the bait :)
So...tell me one thing about a keyboard that's precise? It's just a set of single input buttons. There's no analog features, so there's nothing gradual, a la an analog stick would have. Every button has only 2 settings - on and off. There's absolutely nothing about a keyboard that was designed for gaming either. Do you REALLY think someone had FPS movement in mind when they put WASD close to one another? Nope. It's just something PC gamers had to make do with and still do. It's why they're still not aligned straight on most keyboards. They're for typing. Movement with one is like owning a car that can only slam the gas, slam the brake and jerk to the left and right. An analog movement source would be precise. Right now PC gamers are left with TONS of keymaps and toggles for this very reason. Either that or they have to "tap" for anything precise.
A keyboard could be VERY easily replaced by a device that handles analog movement...but because PC gamers pooh pooh anything that isn't KB/M nobody has bothered. It's why all of those command pads are still just slightly re-aligned keypads that are flat instead of something with a grip.
It's why the Wii is what it is. Someone decided to have something that controlled naturally instead of just going with the same thing everyone else has been doing.
In 10 years, you won't see people gaming with keyboards any longer, and the mouse will meet it's demise the same way.
We'll always need to type...but there's no need to move around with a typewriter.

I wish consoles still came with joysticks. But I may have played the Atari 2600 and commodore 64 far too often as a kid.

Consoles seem to be the way to go for gaming now though. A bit less depth perhaps but often fewer headaches compared to PC.

But what do I know, the last console I owned was a ps1.

The xbox 360 is tempting to me, similar PC type games and the DRM doesn't seem as irritating as it has become on PC's. I just wonder if you can buy something like the old jet fighter joysticks for it. I just don't do very well with game pads.

Nope. Most people dont't want to use kb/m while sitting on a couch and would rather not be handicapped to people that do.

Ah, a PC gamer took the bait :)
So...tell me one thing about a keyboard that's precise? It's just a set of single input buttons. There's no analog features, so there's nothing gradual, a la an analog stick would have. Every button has only 2 settings - on and off. There's absolutely nothing about a keyboard that was designed for gaming either. Do you REALLY think someone had FPS movement in mind when they put WASD close to one another? Nope. It's just something PC gamers had to make do with and still do. It's why they're still not aligned straight on most keyboards. They're for typing. Movement with one is like owning a car that can only slam the gas, slam the brake and jerk to the left and right. An analog movement source would be precise. Right now PC gamers are left with TONS of keymaps and toggles for this very reason. Either that or they have to "tap" for anything precise.
A keyboard could be VERY easily replaced by a device that handles analog movement...but because PC gamers pooh pooh anything that isn't KB/M nobody has bothered. It's why all of those command pads are still just slightly re-aligned keypads that are flat instead of something with a grip.
It's why the Wii is what it is. Someone decided to have something that controlled naturally instead of just going with the same thing everyone else has been doing.
In 10 years, you won't see people gaming with keyboards any longer, and the mouse will meet it's demise the same way.
We'll always need to type...but there's no need to move around with a typewriter.

I said combined, everything you said about the keyboard is true. but the movement is VERY precise COMBINED with the mouse for turning and aiming.

Don't play fps games on the console, I sure don't, that's what the pc is for :)

Unless you guys like playing ghalo heheh

Buy a Phantom

HAR HAR HAR

Yeah, sooner or later a KB/M will be bundled.
Internet: Check
Streaming Media: Check
Built in browser: Check?

Yeah, its time for a keyboard and mouse.

All of those things you checked are intuitive and easy to use. Keyboard and mouse? not so much. while it is more accurate people need to realize the downsides of the k/b mouse setup which is keeping it from being a mainstream console control scheme.

For one a controller is very comfortable. Two, you don't need a desk or platform for a keyboard and mouse. Three, a controller is just easier to use. Not saying its easier to aim and kill people with, but its easier to pick up and start playing. That's an important attribute. Because many of you might have forgotten how much time it took to get good with a mouse and keyboard setup. I started in duke nukem 3d and it took me a while. By the time quake rolled around, I was still falling in the lava in servers playing dm4 online.

There are only 2 reasons why people prefer mouse and keyboard for everything. 1 is because they are used to it and somehow think people who have never gamed with it will just pick it up and be good right away. 2 is because they know they can aim faster than a controller, and by giving up the k/b and mouse they somehow are compromising some misplaced sense of superiority.

god it feels good to be unbiased and completely logical...

While it may be less intuitive than some think, I honestly don't see a downside to allowing for the use of a Kb+M in consoles. There isn't really any new development costs associated with it, as the tech has been around for ages. Also, MS and Sony could charge for 'special' Kb+M combos and make more cash.

It's not like adding Kb+M support would detract from those that like using controllers, and it would make people like me much more likely to get FPS games for my consoles. If anyone is concerned about the one control scheme dominating the other in online play, simple server rules could be adopted that only allow a certain controller to join that server. Besides, if they opened this up and let the two control schemes compete, we could see if there is any merit to the people that say the Kb+M is a better control scheme. ;)

What games would you want to play with a keyboard and mouse that arent out on PC?

Right Now: Halo 3, Resistance: Fall of Man
Coming Soon(ish): Killzone 2, Resistance 2

Not much but a decent list of games at any rate.

The real kicker is having to have a computer able to play these new FPS's coming out. PS360 can take on Mercenaries 2 without having to update drivers, tweak settings, or fiddlestick around in options menu's. Something tells me if I pop in a fresh install on Windows Vista I'll have to do -SOMETHING- in the way of configuration and tweaking to get it running acceptably.

The ability to Kb/M on consoles means you can cut the computer out of the picture and stop playing "who's video card is more leet" (for running this nVidia tech demo). I thought Unreal Tournament III worked really well on the PS3 by keeping the Controller and Kb/M players separate but equal.

Not to mention the community based tools of PSN/XBL that are all but non-existant on PC. (PS: X-fire sucks)

I wanted to add in a little tidbit. Microsoft doesn't let developers include the option to use a Kb/M, but Sony on the otherhand apparently doesn't have this restriction. Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 has Kb/M support. Unfortunately no other developer gives the option to do this. Combined with the fact that most console games are multiplatform, you're adding costs to an already more difficult to program for platform in the PS3 so I understand from a financial standpoint why it's not included. However, for the PS3 exclusive shooters like Resistane and Killzone, I don't see what the harm would be.

I'm confused... are there people that actually believe a controller is more accurate than a mouse?

I'm going to respond to this kb/m console thread the same way I responded many times before. Except the part about responding the same way. And sentence explaining. And this one explaining that sentence as well:

1) Open your web browser (hey...you are part way there already!)
2) Type in http://www.google.com
3) In the search bar type one of the following:

XFPS
XFPS 2
XFPS 3.0 Sniper
XIM
XIM2
XIM360 (same thing as XIM 2)

This products go in order in this list from worst to best for keyboard/mouse support.
The XIM 360 took an initial batch or orders and that's the number of product that was made. There will be another order in the near future. Watch the message boards at http://xim360.com for when the next preorder is announced.

Also, in order to use the XIM, you need to have an XFPS. The XIM simply takes what the XFPS can do with it's keyboard/mouse translation and makes it tweakable via software that runs on your computer. Makes it TONS better than an XFPS standalone.

The XIM 2 (XIM 360) does not require an XFPS. The XIM360 looks like a standard 360 controller with two USB cables coming out of it. One goes to your computer. The other goes to your 360. Again, software runs on the computer to tweak the XIM 360 for each game. You can adjust many many things to include sensitivity, deadzone (deadzone is done automatically for each game by the software), diagonal dampen (reduces acceleration in diagonal movement), and some other things.

For XIM 1, you may be able to find one on ebay from time to time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XIM-mouse-keybo...yZ139969QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Something worth adding to Ub3rn00b's post is the PS2 device called a SmartJoy Frag. It can be substituted for the XIM when combined with the XFPS device for some control over the settings the XIM acomplishes on the 360, however you won't need to hook into into a computer. The SmartJoy Frag can also be used stand-alone on a PS2 to acomplish the same.

It's a cheaper and somewhat less effective solution that I've been using with relative success in Call of Duty 4 on 360. Halo 3 has funny controller sensitivity that makes using even the XIM somewhat difficult.

I tried gamepad+mouse long ago for PC FPS, and soon became aware of it's shortcomings. I have since then switched to KB+M for my PC, but I have heard that some console FPS games are specially designed for more casual (less critical) play (larger hitboxes, slower speed, etc.) Has any one tried any of these gamepad +mouse combos for their console(s)? googlesearchexample
If so, which game(s), which system(s), how did you like it, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back