Id legacy pack - Q2 and Q3 are no go with W7-64

BlindedByScience

More Human than Human
Hey guys - greetings. I scored the Id legacy game pack when Steam had it on sale, and I can't seem to get Q2 and Q3 to run. Q2 crashes before it even loads, and Q3 loads up but has so many screen artifacts that it's completely unplayable.

Browsing the Steam forums, I found a patch that makes Q1 run very well, lots better than I expected, but I can't seem to find the hook up for these two other games.

If one of you guys has the answer, I'd sure appreciate it.....:cool:

System in sig....glad to provide any other details you need.

Source ports, dude.

Quake: DarkPlaces
Quake II: KMQuake2's alright
Quake III: ioquake3

Source ports, dude.

Thanks for the recommendation for Quake 2 and 3.

I was actually just playing some Darkplaces. I love Quake one.

I don't remember how to fix it, but they both work perfectly fine in Win7 x64. I'll try and figure out how it's done.

Ok, in order of game:

Quake 2: You have an AMD videocard. You need to get this file and place it in the games directory. Also, if you want to play GlQuake, I think you will also need to use that file. I know from personal experience that you will need it with Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Quake 3: Disable the overlay. Quake 3 hates the Steam overlay, but you can disable it for that game specifically if it is a Steam copy (which, according to you, it is). Also necessary for Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Note: If you are interested in source ports, you may as well download MenaceInc's patch for Quake 1 and Quake 2, which will also update Quake 1's controls to be more modern and enable both games to play their music without requiring the original game CD in the drive.

Note: If you are interested in source ports, you may as well download MenaceInc's patch for Quake 1 and Quake 2, which will also update Quake 1's controls to be more modern and enable both games to play their music without requiring the original game CD in the drive.

Darkplaces, supports OGG files and it's not hard to find the Quake soundtrack. Darkplaces also has a pretty nice interface so remapping your controls is pretty easy.

Quake 3: Disable the overlay. Quake 3 hates the Steam overlay, but you can disable it for that game specifically if it is a Steam copy (which, according to you, it is). Also necessary for Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

I play RTCW using the non-Steam game feature and have had no problems with the overlay.

Source ports, dude.

Thanks for the heads up. Downloaded ioquake3 and installed it. It put the files on my C drive and didn't seem to work with the Steam install. I just copied the full install into the Steam folder and run it by executing ioquake directly from that directory. Seems to work great.....on to Quake2 next

(snip)
.....disable the overlay? As in, don't run the game from within the Steam shell? Can you explain..??

Thanks again, guys - this has all been very helpful.

Darkplaces, supports OGG files and it's not hard to find the Quake soundtrack. Darkplaces also has a pretty nice interface so remapping your controls is pretty easy.

The patch for Quake 1 that I posted is Darkplaces with the soundtrack files already in.

I play RTCW using the non-Steam game feature and have had no problems with the overlay.

My Steam copy is not happy if I enable the overlay. I get the same weird graphical glitches I get with Quake 3 and the overlay.

.....disable the overlay? As in, don't run the game from within the Steam shell? Can you explain..??

Right click on the game in your Steam window, and in the "General" tab there will be an option checked that will be labeled "Enable Steam Community In-Game." Uncheck it in the Quake 3 window, and it will only be disabled for Quake 3. This option isn't available for non-Steam games on a game by game basis.

The patch for Quake 1 that I posted is Darkplaces with the soundtrack files already in.

Thats my point. This guy is just rereleacing Lord Havoks work with a couple of easy tweaks, not really even tweaks. Did he even get his permission?

The sound files as well as some nice texture packs are readily available at Quakeone.com

Thanks for the heads up. Downloaded ioquake3 and installed it. It put the files on my C drive and didn't seem to work with the Steam install. I just copied the full install into the Steam folder and run it by executing ioquake directly from that directory. Seems to work great.....on to Quake2 next
You only needed to manually move over pak0.pak.

Thats my point. This guy is just rereleacing Lord Havoks work with a couple of easy tweaks, not really even tweaks. Did he even get his permission?

The sound files as well as some nice texture packs are readily available at Quakeone.com

No idea, although I would hope so. Either way, while the patch is out, it is still quicker to just use it than to download darkplaces and the sound files seperately, even if it is only marginally so.

Back