I'd just like to say, I hate Push-PIN LGA775

thatbiggbadwolfy

Limp Gawd
This is my first time using an Intel solution, moving from Super Socket 7, to A, 462... my fingers are bleeding, covered in Arctic Silver 5, and I've been trying to put a heatsink on my Q6600 for the past 2 hours. I had a Thermaltake Big Typhoon for my 6000+ that had a 775 clip. Really, can we just put screws in here?

I destroyed the Big Typhoon heatsink push pin clip. The plastic tabs just snapped off. Now I'm using the Intel stock cooler. And now I can't secure the last 2 tabs... twisting or not twisting, the locks don't even matter now.

So what should I do now? Does the Zalman 9700 have pushpins too? Because I've never had such a frustrating experience in 7 years of system building. I just threw the thermaltake out the window, literally. Ugh.

This is my first time using an Intel solution, moving from Super Socket 7, to A, 462... my fingers are bleeding, covered in Arctic Silver 5, and I've been trying to put a heatsink on my Q6600 for the past 2 hours. I had a Thermaltake Big Typhoon for my 6000+ that had a 775 clip. Really, can we just put screws in here?

I destroyed the Big Typhoon heatsink push pin clip. The plastic tabs just snapped off. Now I'm using the Intel stock cooler. And now I can't secure the last 2 tabs... twisting or not twisting, the locks don't even matter now.

So what should I do now? Does the Zalman 9700 have pushpins too? Because I've never had such a frustrating experience in 7 years of system building. I just threw the thermaltake out the window, literally. Ugh.

It's not that hard, I find it to be the easiest solution actually. Don't bother turning them, just position the heatsink and push down 1 clip at a time, it may be a little difficult but just push it in till you hear a click, do this with all 4 sides, it may be easier to do it diagonally.

Because I don't like to hear and see the motherboards flex when putting my weight (lots of it) on a pushpin... I normally attach the heatsinks while the board is out of the case, thus having access to both sides of it. This allows me to provide counter-force around the pushpin I'm currently push-pinning (??).

Best solution is those nice backplates+screws IMO.

Preach on Brother!

and a big AMEN to that.

One of the first things I look for in a heatsink now is push-pins or not, I'm glad to say the TRUE120 doesn't have this deficiency.

I re-used push pins from extra, unused, Intel HSF's lying around;

over a few months, I had broke 2 on 2 freezer pros; it can be done, if you are careful. If you're a pureist, you can by and install new push pins. Honestly, I hate-em too.

The technique that I have found to work best for me is to have the mobo on a 2 or three inch thick sheet of super density, non static foam (like the kind that Seagate packs their HD's in). This gives the mobo the support it needs -and keeps it from flexing so much.

Personally, I've built 5 q-core systems this week with different and stock cooling solutions and have not had a moments trouble-push/snap, push/snap, push/snap ,push/snap- It's done...

Back