id and Epic Multiplatform Because of Piracy

why is this a piracy pissing contest all of a sudden? Here's the breakdown... engadget has a way to play copied 360 games... Linkie ...

PS3 backup methods were well underway back in november... Linkie

Now each of the above COULD be used for piracy... they aren't hard either, granted they're more involved than PC game piracy, but that's all thanks to the underground.

Will the average console gamer want to start backing up games? No, they bought a console so they don't have to fiddle around with screws, hardware, and software.

Will the same people who get pirated PC games pirate console games? Yes. Most PC gamers aren't afraid to get their hands dirty.

Shifting platforms combined with the growing prices of games will just encourage piracy on consoles and then Console game piracy will become more popular.

So, I'll just sit back and relax as the game publishers just keep in their state of denial... joining the ranks of the MPAA and RIAA on the piracy issue.

If people want to pirate, they will pirate... the solution is entice users not to pirate by keeping game costs low.

If you want to go to extremes and talk about people setting up their own pirated online networks for online gaming, then you can easily say that people have and will find ways to pirate console games (ala Xbox and PS2). We're talking mainstream here, which PCs clearly have mainstream pirating problems but in the mainstream online FPS do not, as people wish to compete in the competitive online arena, not in some niche pirate community.

Very true, Xlink Kai.....

Greetings!

Beginning every single post with that is getting a bit old.

Im not sure about 1 PC per 12 consoles, but very few of my friends that I can think of, play games on the PC. Almost everyone I know has a Wii, PS3, or Xbox along with a low-end computer that can barely play games.

I've owned PC games since the first desktop PCs. The folks who pirate the games wouldn't have purchased them anyway. So the real anwer is: id and Epic have gone multiplatform to increase their revenue.

This BS of having to make up an excuse to their hardcore PC fans is crap. Just call it like it is. There isn't enough money in PC sales alone for their game engines and they need to branch out. There's nothing wrong with that, it's call GOOD BUSINESS.

They don't have to apologize for making a business decision, and it makes they both look petty and weak to do so.

In the past three years I have spent about 800 dollars on PC video games, I do not own a console. I have been playing three or four games over the past year and a half. BF2, Day of Defeat, CS, and now Supreme commander.

I consider the bigger days of pirating to be gone with the adoption of faster broadband and expanded use of online authentication systems.

I bought doom3 the night it came out, I played it mostly through, then found a cheat for god mode and did a walk through of the last few levels. Great engine, great graphics, monotonous game. Half life 2 walked all over it.

I am not a developer, but it makes sense to me for id to develop engines for the consoles. Getting a PS3 will be on my priority list when I can afford the 4,000 plasma bigscreen for playing race and sport games.

been PC gamer since grade school :D.

console games have never interested me. it's not that i don't play them, it's just too "arcade-like". even if keyboard+mice were available on the console and they released true 1080p games it'll be difficult for me to switch. i'm just so entrenched in the PC games i luv =D.

oh yeah, i buy all my games, even if they are a bit older now (from ebay). and depending on what title, i'll buy it new.

The dynamic of making money on consoles is to sell the games at a far greater expense than is typical, this allows them to artificially lower the price of the hardware.

You don't think you get all that hardware in a PS3 for 400$ when the optical drive alone is worth more than that, because Sony are super clever at making hardware cheap?

In the UK brand new titles for PC's tend to have a RRP of 29.99 or 34.99, where as console games tend to be 44.99 or 49.99 (might be more when PS3 arrives)

Funny. As any company should know in Economics 101 is that you don't put all your eggs in one basket, so using piracy as an excuse to diversify your sources of revenue is kinda lame.

Also, piracy is a big issue on consoles just as it is on PCs.

I think that it's not really the fact of piracy, it's the the fact that these developers are starting to turn out mediocore games and are getting lazy in terms of keeping up with the evolving pc market... so instead of staying with the PC market, they go for the easier and more profitable approach... consoles.

Back