Icewind Dale. Is it still playable?

x_MaGiuS_x

Gawd
I've been reading the Drizzt series of books by R.A Salvatore and am itching to see the world brought to life in a game. I never played Icewind Dale when it came out originally.

How have the graphics aged? Is the game playable in Windows 7. Basically is it worth me tracking down this game or should I stick to reading the books.

I've been reading the Drizzt series of books by R.A Salvatore and am itching to see the world brought to life in a game. I never played Icewind Dale when it came out originally.

How have the graphics aged? Is the game playable in Windows 7. Basically is it worth me tracking down this game or should I stick to reading the books.

I think it still looks good, the artistry is what shines. Amazon has a really good D&D pack with Baldurs Gate 1-2, IWD 1-2 etc for pretty cheap.

The G3 Widescreen Mod makes all of the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II and Planescape Torment) playable at resolutions that didn't exist when they were released. I played Planescape Torment on Windows 7 64-bit with no problems - didn't even need to turn on Windows XP compatibility mode.

I enjoyed Baldur's Gate II and Planescape Torment, but I just couldn't get into Icewind Dale and gave up on it about a quarter the way through.

Even with BG/IWD games launched the graphics were not that great but you don't play this type of games for the graphics. As for the gameplay, yes it still stands up and both IWD I and II are great games.

Yes, they play on Vista x64 so I'm guessing that means 7 also. You can pick up IWD I & II combo packs on DVD on eBay.

here is the Icewind Dale set at amazon, and if purchased with Baldurs gate the total is $37.28

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I keep eyeing planescape, but haven't brought myself to get it. Seems like anyone who has played that game also thinks that all "modern" games suck for story line.

Is icewind dale less about story and more about party adventuring?

Icewind Dale 1 and 2 both have good stories that are interesting enough to make you conitnue playing them. The games are more about adventuring though.

Even though IWD1 is less advanced, I'd say to play it first since the setting between the two games is is very similar and you will visit some places from IWD1 in IWD2; it's cool to see how those places evolved.

I keep eyeing planescape, but haven't brought myself to get it. Seems like anyone who has played that game also thinks that all "modern" games suck for story line.

That is because Planescape Torment has arguably the best story out of any RPG ever made for any system. It's not your typical story where you save the world. The character background and development through the game is amazing.

That is because Planescape Torment has arguably the best story out of any RPG ever made for any system. It's not your typical story where you save the world. The character background and development through the game is amazing.

+1000

The game is a must play even though the graphics haven't aged well at all.

Icewind Dale series is pretty fun, it is to Baldur's Gate what Fallout Tactics is to Fallout. Less story, more combat.

Planescape Torment probably does have the best story ever told in a computer game.

All these infinity engine games talk is making me nostalgic, black isle studios RIP. :(

Back