ICANN Reveals Plan For Ending America's Control Of The Internet

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess it's time to see how ICANN plans to do things now that the US Commerce Department isn't running things anymore.

ICANN unveiled the much anticipated report yesterday, and has given the public until September 8th to comment on it. The gist of the 100-page document? Internet control functions will be given to ICANN and an oversight body made up of "interested parties" that has no connection to any world governments.

Internet control functions will be given to ICANN and an oversight body made up of "interested parties" that has no connection to any world governments.

Don't think that is possible.

Any organization that develops a plan that puts themselves in charge has to be a solid plan with no possible issues.

Perfect way to create a crisis probably a cluster with DNS which will be solved by using official government DNS servers based in the basement of the NSA.

Hmmm, this sounds like privatization of the Internet because the term, "interested parties", has been brought up.

Who are the "interested parties" and who chooses said parties?

db.jpg

Honestly, with assholes like the french, spanish, and russians trying to impose their will on the internet, I quite frankly dont trust anyone but the USA to manage this.

Honestly, with assholes like the french, spanish, and russians trying to impose their will on the internet, I quite frankly dont trust anyone but the USA to manage this.

Only thing worse than a US federal bureaucracy, is an international, new world order bureaucracy.

Our only hope is that the people running this are so corrupt, they never manage to actually get anything done.

So at this point the only appropriate question is will this be as big or worse a debacle as giving up the Panama Canal? Why we agreed to do this will forever boggle my mind.

Some people never learn from history I guess.

You fucking proponents of this were warned. Enjoy the decline. The internet is a US creation and it belongs under US control. Period. There is and was no compelling reason to cede control of it to any other foreign body.

So at this point the only appropriate question is will this be as big or worse a debacle as giving up the Panama Canal? Why we agreed to do this will forever boggle my mind.

It will be worse. You know who has taken over the Canal at this point? The Chinese. The internet is now basically going to become a gang rape victim. I hope the fools who were for it think it was worth it.

Time for the U.S. to start planning on disconnecting from the ICANN internet and start a new internet. Those countries interested in a free internet (that is free as in liberty and not free as in no money) can connect.

There already is Internet 2.0. It's used by research universities, operating at terabits/s.

One thing that is for sure is that the status quo can't remain. Every hostile or unfriendly country is more or less creating their own private internet while they sit back and hack the shit out of ours. Is there anyone in the US that hasn't had their private info hacked at least 3 times at this point?

And what is the point of living in a Democratic country when more and more of the things we rely on are subject to, if not under the direct control of, countries with authoritarian governments? Do we want countries like China being put in a position where they are able to extend their censorship globally? Will they have veto power over any "The Interview" type movies that might be offensive to China? In China literally all information about the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre has been wiped from existence, as if it never happened. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the not so distant future, it ends up wiped from history here in the US also.

No, they're the same ones who are trying to rewrite history to "prove" they were right all along.

People on the left must be so conflicted about this. On one side it weakens US "imperialism". On the other, omg internet has been privatized.

This was such an obviously bad idea, you just knew it would happen.

Back