IC7 Max2 not recognizing RAID volume in Windows install

hardwired

[H]ard|Gawd
My IC7 Max2 recently lost whatever defined my striped pair of raptors as a single volume. I had to rebuild the volume, and now when I try to install windows, and I load the on-chip RAID drivers off the floppy, it subsequently shows that it detects no volumes. Nothing's changed in my BIOS. Is it possible my board is on the outs?

Can't install windows to each drive when they're paired as an array.

That makes no sense, either.

You misunderstand.

Don't run them as an array. Delete the volume, and run them in IDE mode on the ICH SATA ports. Try to install Windows to each individual drive, or at least get as far into the installation as the selecting hard drive screen. I've played with RAID, and it sounds like you've got a bad disk.

Download a HDD diagnostic program from the manufacturer of your drives. You can see if your disks are bad or not quickly (half hour).

can't run diagnostics as i have no other system with SATA connections.

Is is possible I'm loading the wrong driver? I got the Silicon Image driver off Abit's site. Is this the correct one for the ICH5R southbridge on-chip RAID?

nevermind, i got the wrong driver... but it now locks up at formatting at 43%. maybe it is a bad drive after all. thank goodness 36 gig raptors are cheap now.

hardwired said:
can't run diagnostics as i have no other system with SATA connections.

Is is possible I'm loading the wrong driver? I got the Silicon Image driver off Abit's site. Is this the correct one for the ICH5R southbridge on-chip RAID?

The diagnostic program should pick up SATA drives. They are usually CD .iso images which should have a driver for standard SATA controllers.

Back