IC7-G 2Gig of Ram Stability

laban

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone run an IC7-G with 2 Gigs of RAM? I recently happened upon another Gig of RAM that matches the Gig I already have in my system. When I installed it, I started getting odd problems while playing games and encrypting DVD's.

FarCry started having odd graphical glitches (kind of like the video mem was overclocked too much) So, what I did was, set my CPU and video card at default speeds. I still got the same problems. After taking out the new memory, everything works perfectly again.

Mostly I was just wondering how many people are running 2 Gigs in a IC7-G and if they have any stability problems.

BTW, the new mem is identical to the original mem.

Download memtest86 Ver.1.11 and test each ram...make sure to select ALL test not the standard.....1 module might be faulty.....

Laban.......

I am having the same problem.. :(

I have 2GB of ram. I have installed 1GB of Corsair XMS3200XLPro & 1 GB of Mushkin 3500 Level II Memory.

If I install, either the 1 GB of Corsair or the 1GB of Mushkin memory into the system it will boot ok, using the Graphic Accelerator at "Street Performance & Enhanced mode", with PAT Enabled.

But as soon as I install both sets of memory, the computer will not go pasted the final screen on the initial boot screen. The only way I can get it to boot and load up into Windows XP Pro is to set Game Accelerator to Auto, and then, PAT is disable.

Wonder if this is a BIOS Issue??? :confused:

System:
Intel 3.2Ghz
ABIT IC7-MAX3 v1.0
1GB Corsair XMS3200XLPRO / 1GB Mushkin 3500 Level II
ATI AIW 9800Pro
2-74GB WD Raptors / 4-36GB WD Raptors
Creative 2ZS Sound Card
1-DVD / 1- CDRW / 1-DVDRW
500watts Aspire power supply
Windows XP Pro

have either of you contacted abit with your problem? looks like your using quality ram, so SARS can be ruled out (suck-ass ram syndrome). what do your timings look like? try to scale them back and use more conservative settings. if you need help with that, you might want to venture over to the memory forum

Anyone here ever heard of NOT mixing ram???
It's a nono, parity errors, etc. Especially in non ECC ram....if you get ram, you want the EXACT same stuff, that's why you buy dual channel kits to run dual channel......otherwise they would just sell single sticks.

Hey! Thanks guys for the information & support.

I do appreciate it. I don't what to start a fight..... beacuse I'm always learning new stuff from this forum. However, I think it's a problem with the Bios setup on this Abit board. I have tried to set timing from the lowest to the highest setting, and still have the problem with the 2GB of memory issue. Mixing and matched the memory should not be a problem...as per reading the review that HardOCP had done on this board.

I also have a ASUS PC800E-Deluxe board, and theres no problem with this memory on it. I too would like to have the same type of memory but unfortunetly you can't buy Mushkin 3500 Level II memory with timing at 2-2-2-5 anymore. So I thought the Corsair would be the next best thing.

Just my two cents... :rolleyes:
System:
Intel 3.2Ghz
ABIT IC7-MAX3 v1.0
ATI AIW 9800Pro
Creative 2ZS Sound Card
1-DVD / 1- CDRW / 1-DVDRW
Windows XP Pro

You know this is pretty good. When you need assistant for a product they don't mind selling, weather it work like it's state on there site. This is the customer satifaction you get. Thanks for the support ABIT!. "YOU CAN"T GET HELP"

****************"This is there help"**********************
Dear Maury Kimbrough,

Please do not reply to this email, this is an automated response to
your email.

Due to the large number of emails everyday and for the time needed for
problem reproduction,
we may not reply to every single incoming email. Please understand that
we sell through distribution channels and don't have sufficient
resourses to serve every end-user.
We would recommend you to ask for help from the point of purchase,
and check the ABIT newsgroup first, alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit.

You might also want to check out the following websites for information
before calling us:
- Mirror site at http://fae.abit.com.tw/
- BIOS update guide: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bioshelp.htm
- Questions about Highpoint support: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/
- Questions about VIA chipset updates: http://www.via.com.tw/

If you are unable to find the information you need you can contact us
at
our technical support line at: 510-492-0968, Mon to Fri 9am to 6pm PST.
The max wait time is about 20 to 45 minutes.

Thank you again and we look forward to serving you.

Sincerely,
ABIT Computer (USA) Corporation

I dunno man, every book i've read (and that's dozens) have always stated to never mix ram or you will get hard parity errors. Alot of boards have problems supporting more than 1GB of ram, that's just fact. Although they say they can support up to 4gb;s, I wouldn't even try to put more than 1 GB unless they were the same type/speed/ratings.

Make sure in your bios that the timings are fairly conservative, like 3-3-3-6 or something like that for safetey.

What's the +12v rating on your powersupply. The Amps..

O'kay guys.......

This is one response, I received from ABIT support...

Dear customer,

It sounds to me that these two RAMs are not compatible with each other. It is recommended to use identical RAMs.

Thank you for choosing ABIT.

Regards

Abit FAE
www.abit-usa.com

Please include all previous conversation text in your reply. This will assist us greatly in solving your problem. If you do not include your previous conversation text we may not be able to help you.

Please keep in mind that you can always get help from the following
websites:

ABIT parts/accessories: http://www.excaliberpc.com/default.php?cPath=156
Drivers, Bios, FAQ, and Manual: http://fae.abit.com.tw
Bios Update Instruction: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bioshelp.htm
CPU Support List: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/generic/checkcpu.htm
ABIT Forum: http://forum.abit-usa.com

Ok,, so I just ordered 2 more sticks of Corsair XMS3200XLPro 1GB of memory. Should be here 7/8/04
"OUCH" another $365.00 bucks.......................

My questions is, whats my recorse with ABIT, or what should I do if this doesn't work.... Advise please.
:rolleyes:

P.S. The only thing that bothers me is this memory works perfectly in a ASUS motherboard, i.e. P4P800, P4C800E-Deluxe. :D

If it doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe your power supply can't give the necessary amps to the memory bus....

Other than that, the new memory could have different chips..... I doubt though.

If it doesn't work, then the mobo just doesn't feel like supporting that much.

Are you filling ALL 4 slots??? That's been known NEVER to work...hehehe

Set the timings manually and the voltages to anything acceptable.....then turn off all memory enhancement you got....it might work.....

Thanks for the response, I do appreciate any assistants, I can get. Hope you don’t mind reading a long story here......

I did try, to up the memory voltage, didn’t seem to make a difference. I did set memory to SPD and Game Acc. to auto, didn’t seem to make a difference. “Now the story “

I have a ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe system with an Intel 3.2Ghz system as well. This memory will run “beautifully in it”- 1GB Mushkin 3500 Level II & 1 GB Corsair 3200XLPro. I even have some Mushkin 3200 memory that coincide all together with the ASUS board. Now you ask, why don’t you just use the ASUS board then??.

Well you now how we Geeks are :D ................always wanting the latest and greatest...

What I like about this ABIT, is it has the 6 - SATA connections on it. Not to mention it does handle hardware a little better than ASUS boards do. Not only that, according to “ABIT” this will handle at lest 3.64GB of Ram. To me then this should not be a problem, How about you??

I know there are not a lot of thing that use this amount of memory. However I do use some graphic programs, i.e. Photoshop 7.0, Paintshop 8.0, Office 2003, WordPerfect 12, & so on. When you use that much memory your application do seem to respond more quicky. And now I have to say just one more thing. “When you pay for a product and it says certain things. Then you expect those thing to work.”

I am working in a retail store, and our customers expect our products to work, or they bring them back. Of corse I'm not looking for my money back, just that it works like they say. I can't believe I'm the only one out here trying this :confused: :confused:

I have orderd another set of 1GB Corsair memory 3200XLPro. The only thing is, what if it doen't work :rolleyes:

This is just my 5 cents worth of thought

So am I the only one? :rolleyes: Trying to install 2GB of Memory in this type of system setup :eek:

System;
Intel 3.2Ghz
ABIT IC7-MAX3 v1.0
ATI AIW 9800Pro
2-74GB WD Raptors SATA-1,2 & 4-36GB WD Raptors SATA-3,4,5,6
Creative 2ZS Sound Card
US Robotics 56K Modem
1-DVD, 1- CDRW, 1-DVDRW
Windows XP Pro sp1

No, but at work I've got 34 systems running i875P chipsets with 2GB of DDR400 memory in Dual Channel mode.

But haven't you heard that you can't run PAT and use more than two chips? A couple weeks or so ago there was a thread on the [H]ardForum about that.

Hi ....Guys,

Not that anyone probably cares, but I got the 2nd 1GB of 3200XLPro of Corsair memory today.

And guess what...............?? "It still doen't work" When you install 4 - 512MB of Ram, PAT is Disabled. When I try to set Game Accl, to either Turbo or any other setting, other than Auto, no matter what combination, on each setting, it will "not boot"........................

This apperently is only a ABIT motherboard issue.

Need help or ABIT tech support. I will be writting to them as well because they said I needed the same type of ram. Well I guess not............................

Now what

P.S. "I am not overclocking or want to", just want the highest settings at basic setup." Also I would believe, that PAT is disable with more than 2 sticks of memory, however I know it works with ASUS P4?800? motherboards. Not to mention, ABIT said it should work....

Well…. :(

There still is no answer from ABIT Tech Support,…. about why my memory isn’t working to it’s full potential???? :mad: This is the 4th support help submission.

Same Corsair memory XMS3200XLPro, I’m still having a “PAT” issue…………………it’s disabled on this motherboard.

System;
Intel 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition
ABIT IC7-MAX3 v1.0 / BIOS 16
4-512MB Corsair XMS3200XLPRO
ATI AIW 9800Pro
Creative 2ZS Sound Card
US Robotics 56K Modem
1-DVD, 1- CDRW, 1-DVDRW
Windows XP Pro sp1

On my regular (recreational?) system I'm running 2GB (Corsair TwinX) on an IC7-Max3 with no problems whatsoever.

Foenix,

Thanks for the response, I do appreciate this, :D

However…. the $64 million dollar question is?? :cool:,,,,,, Are you running your system with “PAT” enable or disable?? :confused: ...and if so….

Can you run Game Accel., at Turbo mode, or better, as well??

System;
ABIT IC7-MAX3 v1.0 / BIOS 16
4-512MB Corsair XMS3200XLPRO
ATI AIW 9800Pro
Creative 2ZS Sound Card
US Robotics 56K Modem
1-DVD, 1- CDRW, 1-DVDRW
Windows XP Pro sp1

I'm almost positive I have it set to Turbo right now, but give me a min to restart it and I'll check.

Yeah, just checked, it is set to Turbo and I haven't really noticed any instability. I'm running 1GB of Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPT and 1GB of Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO.

This is the disappointing part……………….. :(

I switched the IC7-MAX3 back to the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, and everything is working great.

Memory running at 2-2-2-5, PAT enable, and Turbo on.

I am hoping in the future that ABIT will fix this problem in the Bios. I am thinking it’s either that, or I have a bad motherboard.

Just out of curiosity? what version of ABIT IC7-MAX3 do you have? I have version 1.0

System;
ASUS P4C800-e Deluxe / Bios 1017.02
was ABIT IC7-MAX3 v1.0 / BIOS 16
4- 12MB Corsair XMS3200XLPRO
ATI AIW 9800Pro
Creative 2ZS Sound Card
US Robotics 56K Modem
1-DVD, 1- CDRW, 1-DVDRW
Windows XP Pro sp1

Foenix,

I hadn’t heard from you…….

What version of the ABIT IC7-MAX3 board do you have???

The reason I ask, is I have written 4 times to ABIT about this issue, with no response from them.

I went back to this board, because it does seem to operate much better than the ASUS P4C800-E DX.

I just wish ABIT would fix the PAT issue if there is one? Unless my board is bad??? :(

Help please…………….

Sorry, haven't been on for a couple of days. I just checked and it's a v1.0 (got it right after they first came out).

Well I have written, for the 6th time to ABIT and still no response about my 2GB memory problem.

Isn't this wonderful, tech support at it's finest.:(

Did you try different memory timings?
2-3-3-6
2.5-3-3-6

That's the only thing I can think of right now, except maybe your MB doesn't like this in combination with your Extreme processor. Once the price of the Corsair TWINX1024-PC3200C2 gets down to $210, I going to try this with my Asus MB. From what I heard, I may have to bump the 2 down to 2.5 to get it to work or it might work with 2-3-3-6 settings. Did that Abit thread link earlier in this thread help at all?

SkaarjMaster,

Thanks for the response…

I have tried all sorts of settings. To relax timing, to default. Raise voltage, reversed the memory slots, also used a Intel 3.2cGhz cpu. Seems to make no difference with 2GB of memory, 1GB it’s works good. I just think it’s a Bios problem that needs to be fixed.

I have installed the same equipment on a ASUS P4C800E-Dlx board and it works great…………. PAT works and Turbo mode.

It seems that ASUS has fix the problem or has found a work around for the I875 chipsets, I just don’t believe that ABIT is going to engorge this, considering their bragging, you can install 3.5GB of memory. :rolleyes:

Back