iBUYPOWER P4 Custom @ [H] Consumer

Chris_Morley said:
Thanks for your thoughts, they are noted.

Cool, thanks. And don't get me wrong, I'm only focusing on what I thought needed mentioning. The article was well written and certainly informative; I have really appreciated the new review process. I honestly think it is the best that I have seen.

Chris_Morley said:
Actually, our categories have ALWAYS been weighted.

should this not be noted on reviews perahaps you should explain in review how each catagory is eighted so this is known openly i mean its kinda figured when u see the end result but i dont believe u state anywhere some things dont count for as much.

I mean lets say u get a system that performs like shit but the company talks nice to you and does everything you ask the machine still sucked but do u give that company a good score becasue they were nice and did everything u asked correctly even if product sucked?

dajet24 said:
I mean lets say u get a system that performs like shit but the company talks nice to you and does everything you ask the machine still sucked but do u give that company a good score becasue they were nice and did everything u asked correctly even if product sucked?
Nope.

dajet24 said:
should this not be noted on reviews perahaps you should explain in review how each catagory is eighted so this is known openly i mean its kinda figured when u see the end result but i dont believe u state anywhere some things dont count for as much.
IIRC, in the first review they published, they did mention that the final score was weighted.

This was the most entertaining review I have read in a long time. Great job guys.

Interesting to see all the replies about how the pc actually operated fine. Think of it this way: it doesn't matter how hot that chick is when she opens her mouth and reveals a complete bitch--the attraction is gone. I can't imagine ever being glad of buying this system after the experience had, even after months of great use.

I have to commend Chris on his replies to the posts here. Awesome stuff.

It is sad to see that most people are going to let a company get away with the irritating little things that this company does. While it seems that the machine does run good, its always the little things that makes customers come back, ok well usually....i feel bad for the people who put up with this sort of nonsense.

great review!

DoomRulz said:
Always keep in mind, they were evaluating a mid-range system. With the kind of components [H] was using, they didn't need a beefier PSU.
Uh... I believe that's what I said....

CannonFodder-jm said:
Think of it this way: it doesn't matter how hot that chick is when she opens her mouth and reveals a complete bitch--the attraction is gone.

Wouldn't it be more like dating a not so hot chick that performs great but has nagging friends? :D :D :D

I just wanted to say that i bought a computer from these guys about 4 years ago, and i didn't really have any problems. The stock PSU was kinda weak, but it was completely fine for the system, and lasted me until about 6 months ago when i upgraded to an X2 + new video card.

I did have a motherboard (ASUS) problem where the voltage would always be too high, and IBP cross-shipped me a new motherboard which resolved the problem, no issues. For someone who knows nothing about computers this may not be the best place to order from, but are [H]ard readers computer illiterate?

Of course, the best thing is still just building your own :)

dajet24 said:

I have a feeling they always give the NEGATIVE aspects more weight, regardless of what they are... :rolleyes:

I too am a former owner of a POS ibuypower computer.

About 4 years ago I had saved enough money to get a decent midrange Alienware machine. At the time, I knew a bit about computers and what I wanted but I was basically a novice who read a lot of computer magazines.

I saw ibuypower's ads in PCGamer and I thought, what the heck, I could get a pretty high end system for about $1700.

I had the same problem in that they did not ship me an AC power cord. I called tech support the same day and after a short wait on hold I spoke with a tech. I gave them my order number and they said they would ship out an AC cord to my shipping address the next business day. It's now 2006 and I'm still waiting on that power cord. :)

About a week later, my stock PSU died and I had to wait a week without a working computer while I waited for the PSU. When it did I called tech support and it took several frustrating hours for them to walk me through installing the PSU. Keep in mind, I was still a novice at this time and I didn't understand things like 4pin connectors and whatnot.

It was very loud too. The computer was in my bedroom and turned it into an oven as there was so much heat and noise I had to leave a window open at all times.

My ibuypower finally pooped out for the last time a month ago with another dead PSU and by this time I was much more knowledgable about computers, complete with A+ certification. I promptly salvaged the old piece of junk for parts and built me a new dual-core machine. :D

Shivetya said:
Also, oral agreements are no legally obligating in most circumstances.
Sorry, but you're wrong about that. Oral contracts are fully binding under the law. All that is required for a contract is 1) two or more legally eligible parties between whom it is made, 2) an agreement that involves performance of something by one or both parties, and 3) exchange of something of value in return for that perfomance. No pieces of paper, signatures, notarizations, credit checks, etc. required. Item number 3 is more important than some folks realize, though--it's why you read news stories about a dollar being paid symbolically for something that's worth a lot more but essentially being donated--without payment of SOMETHING, there's no binding contract.

The only way in which oral contracts are inherently weaker than written ones under the law is the available evidence--were there witnesses to the agreement, or is it your word against his? There again, the paper trail of payment helps protect you. If he didn't agree to wash your windows, why did he cash a check from you?

shadowjin said:
About 4 years ago ......

I had the same problem in that they did not ship me an AC power cord. I called tech support the same day and after a short wait on hold I spoke with a tech. I gave them my order number and they said they would ship out an AC cord to my shipping address the next business day. It's now 2006 and I'm still waiting on that power cord. :)

I think you should call them and ask where it is :D

brent_anderson said:
Wow, just wow. I must say I was surprised at the review. We use their systems here at our Cyber cafe and they have been rock solid gaming rigs for two years now.

Maybe because we order in bulk we received better service from them? We have had only one hardware failure (video card, 6800gt) that was quickly corrected via a cross shipment. All our computers arrived with ibuypower branded boxes via a shipping company, all at the same time, all in perfect condition.

Because we are gamers we know where to upgrade from the defaults, ie. power, video, memory, and do not go into the selection process "blind". We did not order ours without an OS and are surprised you guys missed that selection.

Maybe Dell and the like would be a much better choice for the "consumer" level type of reviews you are doing now at the [H]?. Or possible split them up into two categories, One where you are playing "dumb" and base it on support and the ability of the company to protect you from yourself, and one where you use your knowledge to order correctly and base the review on the gaming value (where ibuypowered shined), just a thought.

And considering they build them for a VERY small amount more than we could do it ourselves by purchasing the parts online they will continue to get our business.

iBuypower has done a great job for us and we are about to order another 12 machines from
them.

My 2 cents......

Brent

www.langamezone.com/main

Tell me, super genius, if you're so brainy, why would you waste money on service when you can order the parts from newegg, mwave, or zipzoomfly and build your own? Dell, at least can offer good value because of the volume of business they do.

These guys are supposed to be system builders...you know...they build systems for people who cant? I know lots of folks like to pretend "Joe Sixpack" doesn't exist but thats far from the truth and what IBP did borders on dishonesty. At the very least they are guilty of incompetence.

Would you send a novice buyer to this pack of ninnys? I wouldn't.

By the way Chris, I take back every thing I said about Dell. This review really put things in perspective. :mad:

this question goes the editors on that review
has iBUYPOWER responded to it yet at all?

Commander Suzdal said:
Sorry, but you're wrong about that. Oral contracts are fully binding under the law. All that is required for a contract is 1) two or more legally eligible parties between whom it is made, 2) an agreement that involves performance of something by one or both parties, and 3) exchange of something of value in return for that perfomance. No pieces of paper, signatures, notarizations, credit checks, etc. required. Item number 3 is more important than some folks realize, though--it's why you read news stories about a dollar being paid symbolically for something that's worth a lot more but essentially being donated--without payment of SOMETHING, there's no binding contract.

The only way in which oral contracts are inherently weaker than written ones under the law is the available evidence--were there witnesses to the agreement, or is it your word against his? There again, the paper trail of payment helps protect you. If he didn't agree to wash your windows, why did he cash a check from you?

commander suzdal - are you a lawyer? would be cool to have one available on the forum (I'm sure you'd love all the unsolicited questions and requests for advice). Since every state's laws differ, I'd be wary of giving advice like this - just in case. I know this is off topic, but people do read these forums for advice...

Chris_Morley said:

wow thats kinda scarry you would think thay would atlest try to defend them selves if it was just a one time goof o_O that dosnt bode well

I think Ibuypower is really a 3rd-4th tier unit that sells alof of machines and uses pretty good parts (depending on how you configure it) - the real catch comes with customer service apparently, and that's where they get thier 3rd tier rating IMO, and apparently it really bore itself out on this review for all to see. Time for Ibuy to get a PR rep to get their CS up in a tizzy over this. To me this level of customer service is appaling.

lovemyPC said:
commander suzdal - are you a lawyer? would be cool to have one available on the forum (I'm sure you'd love all the unsolicited questions and requests for advice). Since every state's laws differ, I'd be wary of giving advice like this - just in case. I know this is off topic, but people do read these forums for advice...

Contract law is largely based on common law principles, which do not vary from state to state. Contract law is largely uniform through the US, so the info he gave is accurate no matter where you live.

seanbear said:
Tell me, super genius, if you're so brainy, why would you waste money on service when you can order the parts from newegg, mwave, or zipzoomfly and build your own? Dell, at least can offer good value because of the volume of business they do.

These guys are supposed to be system builders...you know...they build systems for people who cant? I know lots of folks like to pretend "Joe Sixpack" doesn't exist but thats far from the truth and what IBP did borders on dishonesty. At the very least they are guilty of incompetence.

Would you send a novice buyer to this pack of ninnys? I wouldn't.

By the way Chris, I take back every thing I said about Dell. This review really put things in perspective. :mad:

Super genius eh? I don't know if that was a compliment but let me attempt to answer your super questions with some super answers........

Your super question #1:

why would you waste money on service when you can order the parts from newegg, mwave, or zipzoomfly and build your own?

My super answer from the post:

.... build them for a VERY small amount more than we could do it ourselves by purchasing the parts online they will continue to get our business.....

and, uhmmm, I am trying to run a business and every penny counts, and time is important, and you try and order components for 18 identical systems from newegg......

Your super question#2:

....Would you send a novice buyer to this pack of ninnys? I wouldn't....

My super answer (from a later super post in this thread by super genius me):

....I solved that one years ago, "Mom, just buy a Dell and get the on site service warranty" ....

And as I'm sure your super self knows since you read the entire thread, We never had any of the problems mentioned in the review. Nothing but great service and super fast gaming rigs that take abuse in our center month after month.....

Any more super questions super seanbear? Just feel free to ask...... ;)

Brent Anderson

brent_anderson said:
Super genius eh? I don't know if that was a compliment but let me attempt to answer your super questions with some super answers........

Your super question #1:

why would you waste money on service when you can order the parts from newegg, mwave, or zipzoomfly and build your own?

My super answer from the post:

.... build them for a VERY small amount more than we could do it ourselves by purchasing the parts online they will continue to get our business.....

and, uhmmm, I am trying to run a business and every penny counts, and time is important, and you try and order components for 18 identical systems from newegg......

Your super question#2:

....Would you send a novice buyer to this pack of ninnys? I wouldn't....

My super answer (from a later super post in this thread by super genius me):

....I solved that one years ago, "Mom, just buy a Dell and get the on site service warranty" ....

And as I'm sure your super self knows since you read the entire thread, We never had any of the problems mentioned in the review. Nothing but great service and super fast gaming rigs that take abuse in our center month after month.....

Any more super questions super seanbear? Just feel free to ask...... ;)

Brent Anderson
When I opened a LAN center about three years ago I built the 32 machines by hand...took an afternoon on the weekend to do it...

But I guess if you're opening a LAN center and want to save time without spending a lot of money, you could play Russian roulette with iBUYPOWER if you felt like it. But I'm certainly not going to recommend iBUYPOWER to anyone else.

Chris_Morley said:
When I opened a LAN center about three years ago I built the 32 machines by hand...took an afternoon on the weekend to do it...

But I guess if you're opening a LAN center and want to save time without spending a lot of money, you could play Russian roulette with iBUYPOWER if you felt like it. But I'm certainly not going to recommend iBUYPOWER to anyone else.

I hear you Chris, I work full time at my day job and was willing to let them build the PC's for me and I am telling you they did a great job.

That not withstanding, it looks like the build quality you guys received from them is FAR below what we got a year and a half ago.

Back to one of my original comments about it being an anomaly, odds are they have grown and now the customer service is suffering, but maybe not? Just suggested a revisit in the future to verify, that’s all.

Brent Anderson

Technoob said:
Contract law is largely based on common law principles, which do not vary from state to state. Contract law is largely uniform through the US, so the info he gave is accurate no matter where you live.
Exactly what I was going to reply until I read your post, and well said!

As to my being a lawyer, I'm afraid I'm not. I had to take a business law class as part of finally finishing my BA degree a couple of years ago, and it fascinated me enough that I actually paid close attention and absorbed a lot of what we were studying. The textbook still sits on my shelf, if there are more questions... :)

Back