Ibook G4 and G3 question

Grazehell

2[H]4U
Can you password the bios(like a conventional pc) and is so how do I removed the password if forgotten?

1) Mac's don't have a BIOS, they have an OpenFirmware.
2) AFAIK, you can't password like the OF.
3) It doesn't matter anyways, since unless you know exacty what you're doing, it's next to impossible to change system settings in the OF compared to the BIOS. So if you're worried about somebody f*cking up your machine, don't.

You can password protect open firmware but even apple says don't. If you fuck up something in open firmware you really don't have anyway to undo it if the machine doesn't boot up after that. Pretty much the best advise it to leave it alone.

swatbat said:
You can password protect open firmware but even apple says don't. If you fuck up something in open firmware you really don't have anyway to undo it if the machine doesn't boot up after that. Pretty much the best advise it to leave it alone.

oh shit so that is no way to remove that password if I forgot it? I am asking because there is this ibook on ebay up for grabs and the seller says it is passworded so he cant do anything with the system, guess I will need to e-mail him and find out if this is an OS password or not.

There are some ways around open firmware passwords. You just have to search around online. If I remember on the old ibooks you could bypass the password with an external usb keyboard. I think apple also will reset a board for you but it will cost you.

Bypassing the Open Firmware password is a piece of cake. Change the memory configuration and reset all NVRAM and PRAM (boot holding alt-cmd-r-p until you've heard it reboot two times) and the password will be reset.

(Disclaimer: I have never actually tried this, since I've never been stupid enough to password the OF and forget the password.)

Grazehell said:
oh shit so that is no way to remove that password if I forgot it? I am asking because there is this ibook on ebay up for grabs and the seller says it is passworded so he cant do anything with the system, guess I will need to e-mail him and find out if this is an OS password or not.

out of curiosity, does the seller have a good reason why the system is password protected and he doesn't have the password?

bahula03 said:
out of curiosity, does the seller have a good reason why the system is password protected and he doesn't have the password?

he says he got it in a trade. The keyboard is ripped out too(sounds suspicious) but he does have an external apple keyboard.

Back