IBM ThinkPad T43 > Ethernet not recognized in XP

skOOb33

n00b
I recently did a refresh install of Windows XP Pro on my IBM ThinkPad T43. Like all the other refreshes I have done, I had all the drivers ready. I downloaded all the drivers from IBM and all seemed to work fine. The wireless drivers worked and is detecting my network at home. But, when I installed the network driver, everything seemed to install correctly, but when I goto the Device Manager it still says the driver hasn't been installed. I looked for an EXE where the driver install was installed to the hdd. I didnt find one. The Network Connections only shows my wireless (which doesn't actually connect to the internet, but connects to my wireless). Am I missing something basic? Is there something within windows that I have to set up? Like I said, I downloaded the latest network drivers from IBM, and I am sure they are right, but the Ethernet still isn't recognized within Windows.

This is the first refresh I have done on this laptop though, my other refreshes were seamless.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Recheck in IBM and try a different one. Sometime, for certain laptops models, there are more than 1 driver depending on the network chip.

I saw this very very very often with ThinkPad laptops (We have a fleet of A22m, A31 and R40 at work).

alright, thanks. I will look for a different driver for a similar ibm laptop.

Open up device manager, do a properties on the non-working device, click the details tab. You should be on Device Instance ID for the dropdown. Look in the text box and you will see PCI\VEN_XXX&DEV_YYYY

Google for:
XXX YYYY driver
and you should find the exact device name you need drivers for.

excellent. I will try this when I can get my hands on the machine later tonight. thanks.

When I got home I noticed that the "Ethernet Controller" was completely gone from the device manager. Also, Network Adapters had the wireless there and nothing would detect my LAN card. Since I came from a fresh install, I decided to just reinstall windows xp. After doing this the Ethernet Controller was visible again and I used different drivers found on IBM...and it worked. Thanks for the info.

Back