IBM Reveals Next-Generation IBM POWER10 Processor

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Infusing AI into the Enterprise Hybrid Cloud to Drive Deeper Insights
As AI continues to be more and more embedded into business applications in transactional and analytical workflows, AI inferencing is becoming central to enterprise applications. The IBM POWER10 processor is designed to enhance in-core AI inferencing capability without requiring additional specialized hardware.

With an embedded Matrix Math Accelerator, the IBM POWER10 processor is expected to achieve 10x, 15x, and 20x faster AI inference for FP32, BFloat16 and INT8 calculations respectively to improve performance for enterprise AI inference workloads as compared to IBM POWER9,2 helping enterprises take the AI models they trained and put them to work in the field. With IBM's broad portfolio of AI software, IBM POWER10 is expected to help infuse AI workloads into typical enterprise applications to glean more impactful insights from data.

Building the Enterprise Hybrid Cloud of the Future
With hardware co-optimized for Red Hat OpenShift, IBM POWER10-based servers will deliver the future of the hybrid cloud when they become available in the second half of 2021. Samsung Electronics will manufacture the IBM POWER10 processor, combining Samsung's industry-leading semiconductor manufacturing technology with IBM's CPU designs.

Read more about how IBM POWER10 is expected to impact the enterprise hybrid cloud market, here: https://newsroom.ibm.com/Stephen-Leonard-POWER10."

https://www.techpowerup.com/271065/ibm-reveals-next-generation-ibm-power10-processor

nothing about less power requirements ?

oh you picked only 1 of the features. not the 3x more efficient per socket

SIMD was one area where POWER9's had a disadvantage relative to x86_64 - I'll be quite interested in seeing how POWER10 fares. I'm also curious what "up to 3x efficiency" amounts to - will low core count POWER10 chips have low power draw, and high TDP parts come bristling with cores in the same ~180W TDP as current POWER9 CPUs? IBM is aiming for the big leagues with this, and I wanna see where it goes. Also, if anybody happens to just have a Raptor Computing box this will obsoletize, mail it to me. :)

edit: Now that I've actually looked at the footnotes...
* 3X performance is based upon pre-silicon engineering analysis of Integer, Enterprise and Floating Point environments on a POWER10 dual socket server offering with 2x30-core modules vs POWER9 dual socket server offering with 2x12-core modules; both modules have the same energy level.

Sweet Jesus.

Last edited:
SIMD was one area where POWER9's had a disadvantage relative to x86_64 - I'll be quite interested in seeing how POWER10 fares. I'm also curious what "up to 3x efficiency" amounts to - will low core count POWER10 chips have low power draw, and high TDP parts come bristling with cores in the same ~180W TDP as current POWER9 CPUs? IBM is aiming for the big leagues with this, and I wanna see where it goes. Also, if anybody happens to just have a Raptor Computing box this will obsoletize, mail it to me. :)

edit: Now that I've actually looked at the footnotes...
* 3X performance is based upon pre-silicon engineering analysis of Integer, Enterprise and Floating Point environments on a POWER10 dual socket server offering with 2x30-core modules vs POWER9 dual socket server offering with 2x12-core modules; both modules have the same energy level.

Sweet Jesus.
hmm. 60 cores at the same power envelope as 24? Not bad, not bad at all. Still trying to figure out a good use case for these in a workstation outside of very niche markets. For big servers, sure, for workstations, not sure.

hmm. 60 cores at the same power envelope as 24? Not bad, not bad at all. Still trying to figure out a good use case for these in a workstation outside of very niche markets. For big servers, sure, for workstations, not sure.

It's definitely more server-targeted than workstation, but I can imagine some use cases. Setting up a cross-compile environment on one of these would probably pay off if you were targeting multiple architectures. 60 cores with 4- or 8-way SMT is a ton of compute to throw at big jobs. I don't have the budget to invest in something like this, but I'd love to play with an Ubuntu install on POWER10 (or POWER9) for an afternoon.

Last edited:
i would *** highly *** suggest rhel or sles
I like Ubuntu/Xubuntu because I know it, but RHEL's established on POWER for a reason. I'll second the recommendation for anybody reading this thread.

i would *** highly *** suggest rhel or sles
REHL all the way and since you are dropping mad cash on the system I would recommend also grabbing the support package too, new architecture and all there’s bound to be weird things that it may be handy to have somebody on hand for.

Reactions: Halon
like this

If I were doing this at a relatively cost-effective level, the sweet spot would be a Talos II Lite mainboard with an 8-core POWER9 chip, stuffed into an EATX case with a beefy power supply, an NVMe drive, and maybe a discrete Radeon so you can squeeze in some ZDoom gaming after a long day didn't have to burn CPU cycles on the BMC video, and could run ROCm for some TensorFlow/scientific computing pursuits. The Blackbird is cute but doesn't cost much less than the Talos II Lite, and its RAM, CPU support, and expansion are much more constrained. But if you're dropping real cash on it, there's not much reason to hold back. Maybe just buy the RAM yourself, though.

but that mb only goes up to 2tb of ram
i know you can go way past 2tb...like...oh 64

Look at all that matrix math.... now we need a IBM power 10 gaming PC with ray tracing support. /s

Still a fun dream. lol

Reactions: erek
like this
Back