IBM Helps Track Down Movie and TV Show Pirates

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Federation Against Copyright Theft has teamed up with IBM to identify individuals and groups distributing pirated content online.

The UK’s Federation Against Copyright Theft is working with computing giant IBM to continue their crackdown on Internet piracy. By utilizing IBM technology the anti-piracy group says it is able to better manage intelligence in order to identify individuals and organizations who share its members’ content online without permission. Furthermore, FACT adds that it has virtually eliminated UK-based camcorder piracy.

I don't think they are losing much money to people who watch Cam movies. Anyone who is willing to watch a cam version of a movie isn't going to be willing to spend money on that movie in the theater.

I am against copyright theft--I think you should pay for what you want to watch/consume, and you shouldn't be watching/consuming things illegally for free. However, I'm also against any entity that extorts large sums of money from people for damages, when those damages cannot be validated in any rational way beyond the raw retail price of the items.

Do the investigating, take down the content, whatever. But don't for a second think it's acceptable to enforce hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of dollars in penalties if someone shared 26 songs (for example), without proving that the entities actually LOST That amount of money because of the sharing (which I don't believe it was ever proven).

The focus of this is incorrectly labeled.
They arent after pirates generally, they are after only pirates who upload.

I havent heard of one person downloading from Newsgroups being pursued.
Is this due to a max penalty of 2x the damage done? I read this somewhere a long time ago.
ie 2x the cost of buying the video

I am against copyright theft--I think you should pay for what you want to watch/consume, and you shouldn't be watching/consuming things illegally for free. However, I'm also against any entity that extorts large sums of money from people for damages, when those damages cannot be validated in any rational way beyond the raw retail price of the items.

Do the investigating, take down the content, whatever. But don't for a second think it's acceptable to enforce hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of dollars in penalties if someone shared 26 songs (for example), without proving that the entities actually LOST That amount of money because of the sharing (which I don't believe it was ever proven).

I totally agree with this, maybe the RIAA should get paid in damages what the recording artist gets from an album sale, what like 10-10 cents per album?

I don't think they are losing much money to people who watch Cam movies. Anyone who is willing to watch a cam version of a movie isn't going to be willing to spend money on that movie in the theater.

Actually it's different for me. It depends how much I liked the movie. If the movie was horrible, well no big deal cause I didn't pay for the movie. If the movie was good, like Back to the Future good, I'll go to the theater to watch a clear quality version.

If the movie was Lord of the Rings good, then I'll go out and even buy the Blu-Ray. Again, depends on the audiences reception. How often have you walked into a theater and watched a movie like Twilight, and hated it so much that you thought about asking for your money back? That's why cam uploads exist. Try before you buy sorta thing.

Who downloads a CAM version of a movie anyway... At the price of FREE it's still not worth it.

I think someone would have a few screws loose in the head to even consider downloading a cam movie when there are plenty of sites you can download 1080p versions! muahahaha

People download cam versions because HD ones are not out yet, these are people who want to brag they saw the movie while it is in theaters.

but an FYI with HD cam's and direct audio input (TS) can actually look pretty good, not like cams 15 years ago.

but either way, i hate paying $20 to see a movie and then have 15 minutes of commercials shoved down my throat.

but either way, i hate paying $20 to see a movie and then have 15 minutes of commercials shoved down my throat.

For those few times that I find it worthwhile to go to the theater, I always show up 10 minutes "late". For some strange reason, I never seem to run into 15 minutes of commercials. Strange.

I know the copyright industry has for years been trying to change the definition of theft so that it doesn't include "with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it", but copyright infringement is not theft.

"Piracy" isn't always immoral / wrong.

I have a friend that subscribes to cable TV. He downloads stuff that's on newsgroups that he gets via his CATV subscription. Then he transcodes it so he can watch it on his tablet on the go/at the gym. It's the same damn content he pays for on his cable TV, but watches on his tablet instead.

Is it illegal in the strictest sense? yeah. Is it immoral or should he feel bad about it? Not in my opinion. He's paying for the content, it's not his fault the broadcasters are stuck in 1980s.

I have a friend that subscribes to cable TV. He downloads stuff that's on newsgroups that he gets via his CATV subscription. Then he transcodes it so he can watch it on his tablet on the go/at the gym. It's the same damn content he pays for on his cable TV, but watches on his tablet instead.

Is it illegal in the strictest sense? yeah. Is it immoral or should he feel bad about it? Not in my opinion. He's paying for the content, it's not his fault the broadcasters are stuck in 1980s.

Content providers refuse to give us consumers what we want and then they roll out draconian responses to our using things the way we want to. First of all, the content is nowhere near as valuable as the providers would like it to be. Learn to price your content appropriately because we're all getting sick of paying too much for movies, cable TV, etc. Second, there needs to be a lot more flexibility. Let us watch what we want, when we want and get rid of all the artificial controls that are in place for no other reason but corporate greed. If your business model needs to change, change it. Trying to keep the old business model in place is a really stupid way to go.

Don't even get me started on IBM...:rolleyes:

I know the copyright industry has for years been trying to change the definition of theft so that it doesn't include "with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it", but copyright infringement is not theft.
Absolutely right; I agree, not "theft" in the proper sense of the word. Infringement is the better term.

Actually it's different for me. It depends how much I liked the movie. If the movie was horrible, well no big deal cause I didn't pay for the movie. If the movie was good, like Back to the Future good, I'll go to the theater to watch a clear quality version.

If the movie was Lord of the Rings good, then I'll go out and even buy the Blu-Ray. Again, depends on the audiences reception. How often have you walked into a theater and watched a movie like Twilight, and hated it so much that you thought about asking for your money back? That's why cam uploads exist. Try before you buy sorta thing.

I'll never understand a try (a low quality version) before you buy (a decent quality version) of movies. Games, yeah, I can understand that, play a few levels and if you like it, buy it. But for a movie, the greatest enjoyment is when you watch it the first time, why make the first time a shitty low quality cam video?

I watched one cam movie that a friend gave me and decided it was an arse about way to watch a movie and I don't think I've watched another one since.

I'll never understand a try (a low quality version) before you buy (a decent quality version) of movies. Games, yeah, I can understand that, play a few levels and if you like it, buy it. But for a movie, the greatest enjoyment is when you watch it the first time, why make the first time a shitty low quality cam video?

I watched one cam movie that a friend gave me and decided it was an arse about way to watch a movie and I don't think I've watched another one since.

These day's I just use redbox. It's too bad that all streaming services cost about 4$ when redbox only cost 1.20$ for a single day rental.

As for buying movies I never usually buy movies cause I dislike watching them over and over. However I spend a decent amount on games and subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime so it's not like I'm totally screwing the video market but I'm not really their target audience either.

I do the same thing, more or less. I pay for Showtime for a short while to get Dexter, although I've never watched it on my TV at all. I always download it via Usenet. I don't feel one shred of guilt for it either b/c I'm paying for Showtime anyhow. I do the same thing with Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones and broadcast station shows. I could partly see me cutting out commercials being an issue for broadcast shows, but it's not like I'm going to watch or pay attention to them anyhow. I never understood why the big stations got so worked up over the Hopper not recording commercials. Seriously, who watches commercials from their DVR shows??

Yup. I stopped going to the movies like 2 years ago. I want to pay for the content but they are showing ads which is unacceptable.

As for TV shows, I just cant imagine myself listening to crappy dubbing.

Either way, when it comes to movies/tv shows/music, pirating stuff IS the best service you can get. Sad but true.

Well I guess if you are a pirate, it gets lonely on the high seas so they need all the movies and television they can get.

Although I don't see how they get the internet access on their ships to download all of the stuff. Satellite internet is slow, after all.

If the movie is good, then even in shit quality you'll figure it out. I mean seriously, there were movies you've had in VHS tapes that must have sat next to a giant magnet and washed out the picture. You still watched it, and you still thought it was the greatest thing ever.

The only reason you need crystal clear quality is because the movie sucks so much that it had better be in "Crystal Sharp 0 Vision". Cause nothing makes me more frustrated to watch a shit movie, then to also watch it in shit quality.

Some people will skim the cam first before deciding to watch it in the theater.

Since the majority of movies are overhyped shit that people wouldn't have bought had they known in advance, this could hurt them a bit.

Back