IBM Granted Patent for AI-managed Traffic Lights

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
IBM seems to have struck first with the patent office and has been granted a patent for an AI-controlled traffic management system. The AI reviews live footage of the intersection and determines the optimal traffic pattern. If it works correctly there shouldn't be long waits at a red light when nothing is coming from the other direction. What took them so long? I think this is an excellent use of AI and once implemented should really help with traffic flow in many cities. Of course this could also be used by SkyNet to jam up traffic once it begins the robot insurrection.

According to the patent, IBM wants to develop a system for controlling traffic lights that relies on cameras. A computer views real-time footage of traffic in each direction and then calculates the optimum traffic pattern.

ALL GREEN ALL THE TIME BABY. (Can't wait to everyone dies from this so there is less traffic yeaaaaah!)

and how will it be paid for??

the system will be installed, free of charge by a private company.. because the cameras will also be giving out tickets for speeding, running red lights.. etc
This you know it will record every license plate number and print you a ticket for anything it can

This will only work if the lights are interconnected so they can learn from each other on the optimum traffic pattern over large areas.

This you know it will record every license plate number and print you a ticket for anything it can
I doubt they'll do that. It would create too much of an uproar. Speeding cameras and red light cameras are already creating enough of an uproar with their bypassing due process. Go further, and it could create some dangerous political circumstances.

Here comes a new wave of AI patents... AI controlled fridge with clock, gpu-ai, rectangular phones with ai corners.

I developed a system like this years ago for my dissertation. It's hardly AI in any way, at least, neural nets and whatnot is completely uncalled for.

It (like all so called AI) is merely an expert system. All this AI this deep learning that bullshit bores me to tears.
But, but AI!!
You!!! and your shitty cheap ass algorithms!! /S
THIS IS CLOUD AI, bow down NOW! /s

Meanwhile "progressive" cities at the forefront of technology like the one I live in dont have many vehicle sensing technology for lights and instead opt for a timed light change schedule regardless of if there are cars needing to go or not

Most intersections now have the traffic cameras to determine if cars are waiting instead of the induction loops burried under the lanes. They already change the speed of the red/green lights depending on traffic load, so I'm assuming this is just another layer that will keep the light from changing if no traffic is in the other direction? Lights still switch if the wait time is long enough.

God damn, I had been wanting to design exactly this for over two years as current traffic light tech hasn't progressed since the.. mid 1900s.. almost as bad as car tech. The perks of not having billions of dollars of R&D and a team underneath you. Sigh.

This is where tax money should go instead of all the other useless programs. Can't imagine any political persuasion hating the idea of spending less time idling on the road and saving on energy costs. If I ran for office I'd use this as a carrot.

Back