IBM Gives Feds $45M In Translation Tech

HardOCP News

[H] News
IBM plans to give the U.S. military $45 million worth of translation technology to honor an employee's son who was badly wounded in Iraq. The Pentagon had already been testing the translation technology for possible purchase before IBM offered to donate the software.

The offer - made from the highest reaches of the company directly to President Bush - is so unusual that Defense Department and IBM lawyers have been scouring federal laws to make sure the government can accept the donation.

Comments

This is great. I am heading to Iraq for my first time this year and I've often wondered what it would be like if I lost an arm or something and was not able to perform my job duties anymore. Good to know that with all this anti-war sentiment that it's not just the government that would help me out.

Good for our soldiers, great for IBM.

I guess that's one way to make sure the government uses your translation software, and that all the training and troubleshooting is for that particular brand. I hate to bring money and politics into what seems like a gift, but it isn't entirely to IBM's disadvantage to do this.

Still, the Utopian in me can hope that it's purely for humanitarian reasons.

This is great. I am heading to Iraq for my first time this year

Good luck and have a safe trip.

Kinda funny that lawyers aren't even sure if they can accept the donation. Might as well accept it then. If they don't know, I'm sure no one else does. Even if it turns out that they can't, who's going to call out the government for accepting expensive translation software for free?

FAKE EDIT: also it's kind of strange that IBM is making a huge deal about this wounded soldier and yet their software wouldn't have help him in his particular situation. I'm sure it will help in many operations in Iraq but it's strange that their posterboy was wounded in a non-translation related incident.

Even if it turns out that they can't, who's going to call out the government for accepting expensive translation software for free?

'Cause no one ever called out a software company for giving away free browsers, say.

Hey i give em props I mean cmon if I went and got hurt in iraq my company would give me a kringle and a pink slip.........

I think its an honorable move, even though it is prolly determined by good PR.

IBM is gonna get such MAD publicity and praise for this.

This is such a devastatingly brilliant marketing move it's hard to believe. I guarantee the dude(s) who brought this up at the last staff meeting got a PHAT bonus/raise!

...Oh yea, plus it's a really nice sentiment.

This is great. I am heading to Iraq for my first time this year and I've often wondered what it would be like if I lost an arm or something and was not able to perform my job duties anymore. Good to know that with all this anti-war sentiment that it's not just the government that would help me out.

Anti-war sentiment shouldn't mean people don't respect our troops, regardless of your stance on it. /Salute, and best of luck out there. I give you my thanks for keeping our country safe, and hope for your safe return.

I don't care what the motive is, if it saves ONE soldier, it's a GREAT move. This vet salutes IBM supporting the troops.

We are behind you bro. Screw all these anti war hippies who takes thier freedom for granted and has no idea that the cost of freedom is not free.

Come back home safely.

Another vet wishing that you come home safely.

I have to agree this was an awsome move from a marketing/PR standpoint.

Back