IBM Discloses Working Version of a Much Higher-Capacity Chip

HardOCP News

[H] News
IBM has announced a new processor with four times more capacity than the today's most powerful chips.

The announcement, made on behalf of an international consortium led by IBM, the giant computer company, is part of an effort to manufacture the most advanced computer chips in New York’s Hudson Valley, where IBM is investing $3 billion in a private-public partnership with New York State, GlobalFoundries, Samsung and equipment vendors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you can fit more transistors or cores for the same size chip.

Isn't it obvious? The chip holds 4 times more water than any other chip in existence!

If you read the whole article it is pretty obvious that they are talking about transistor count due to a smaller process.

The short version is that they have working samples of processors using a 7nm process.

"The company said on Thursday that it had working samples of chips with seven-nanometer transistors. It made the research advance by using silicon-germanium instead of pure silicon in key regions of the molecular-size switches.

The new material makes possible faster transistor switching and lower power requirements. The tiny size of these transistors suggests that further advances will require new materials and new manufacturing techniques."

As points of comparison to the size of the seven-nanometer transistors, a strand of DNA is about 2.5 nanometers in diameter and a red blood cell is roughly 7,500 nanometers in diameter. IBM said that would make it possible to build microprocessors with more than 20 billion transistors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe instead of binary logic, it uses some kind of octal logic for 4 times the computation power per circuit.

I'm a dork, IBM didn't write that headline, the NY Times did. I changed my post accordingly. :)

Doritos has also announced a new chip with 4 times as much ranch flavor capacity.
"El-Rancho Loco" Doritos will be available in stores Spring 2018.

Yep, its a 7nm process.. it would seem that it 'works' but did not see a mention of when products in the process will be hitting the market (it would be Samsung, Global Foundries products and others)?
Intel has been hitting their nm targets very well, no word on difficulties with Intel.. so unless IBM is pushing this out hard and fast, it will be pointless, unless its that much cheaper, that much easier somehow.

Sorry I was wrong, the one mention of date is a year, and that is a pilot program in 2017.. again another BS announcement in my eyes... 2017 means 2020, and that means we will be somewhere else entirely.

Amount of power consumed does not count as most powerful.

Specint specf mips numbers or bs

7nm prototypes are great, but it's all about yields for commercial viability.

Shouldn't those 2 guys have their faces covered? Surely skin cells are bad for 7nm chips.

Maybe instead of binary logic, it uses some kind of octal logic for 4 times the computation power per circuit.

Now that you mention it, I remember reading an article a long time ago about a company working on a hexadecimal logic CPU. Can't remember any details about it, though.

'IBM Announces Computer Chips More Powerful Than Any in Existence"

Of course new chips are better than old chips. Not much point in announcing that their new chips are weaker than current chips is there?

Now that you mention it, I remember reading an article a long time ago about a company working on a hexadecimal logic CPU. Can't remember any details about it, though.

I'm not an expert, but I'd think that underneath a "hex CPU" you'd have binary logic.

Doritos has also announced a new chip with 4 times as much ranch flavor capacity.
"El-Rancho Loco" Doritos will be available in stores Spring 2018.

I wish Doritos would just bring back the flavors we like, like the Habanero Dorito's, those were awesome.

I'm not an expert, but I'd think that underneath a "hex CPU" you'd have binary logic.

Getting down to the root of it, yep, it is nothing more than a glorified binary processor. Just with an exponential amount of data chewing capability...if the architecture is properly designed.

Coincidently, hexadecimal to binary is 64 bits. The way the bits are stored/addressed and accessed with true hexidecimal processing vs traditional/existing binary processing may be the differentiating factory. If I'm thinking this through correctly, then (theoretically) hexadecimal processing could be an exponent of 64 times faster in IPC.

I was not aware the Emirate of Abu Dhabi owned globalfoundries which was formed in Cali by AMD.
Sad all that $$ is going to the middle east.

'IBM Announces Computer Chips More Powerful Than Any in Existence"

Of course new chips are better than old chips. Not much point in announcing that their new chips are weaker than current chips is there?

Yeah, news like this makes me think "South Park New Season: Our highest-numbered season yet!"

Shouldn't those 2 guys have their faces covered? Surely skin cells are bad for 7nm chips.

They can put a PO (protective overcoat) layer on it that will protect from most foreign contaminants. Though physical damage is still a big concern. There are already chips being sold without any plastic covering on them. They are call chip scale packaging and water level packaging. It's literally the silicon chip itself surface mounted (though turned upside down).

I was not aware the Emirate of Abu Dhabi owned globalfoundries which was formed in Cali by AMD.
Sad all that $$ is going to the middle east.

Foundry operating costs killed 3DFX.

IBM sold GlobalFoundries their fab plants, too. It made more sense to pool everything together than for IBM/AMD/Qualcomm/Broadcom to all have their own foundries.

Most chips are manufactured overseas anyway, at least GF has some fabs in the US.

Back