IBM Deskstar 75GXP

Why would you purposely go out and buy a death star? It's not even a cool nostalgia piece. It is literally one of the worst hard drives ever made.

There's a class of things that you buy because they're literally the worst X ever made. I didn't think hard drives where in that class :D

I had several friends have these deskstar drives die on them, I fortunately only had an Ultrastar 18 GB SCSI drive die on me after about a week worth of use. After sending in the RMA drive to IBM, ended up getting an upgrade to a brand new 36 GB drive. That drive still works to this day in one of my vintage rigs.

So.... there's history. There were many DeskStar drives that were quite bad. And like most disk providers, once fixed, the DeskStars became some of the very best drives out there. Of course, most of you know them as Hitachi drives. While Hitachi was its own thing, with the now fixed issues of the DeathStar behind it, they produced some really really nice long lasting drives. And though they are "no more", even today's branded Hitachi's (now WD) seem to have a pretty good reliability rating, but it's not because of what I just said, I think they're just lucky mostly.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Oh these things lol. Hitachi did go on to make the best drives so they learned.

I still have one of these things in my desk drawer from my gaming rig nearly 20 years ago with files I'll never get back.

So.... there's history. There were many DeskStar drives that were quite bad. And like most disk providers, once fixed, the DeskStars became some of the very best drives out there. Of course, most of you know them as Hitachi drives. While Hitachi was its own thing, with the now fixed issues of the DeathStar behind it, they produced some really really nice long lasting drives. And though they are "no more", even today's branded Hitachi's (now WD) seem to have a pretty good reliability rating, but it's not because of what I just said, I think they're just lucky mostly.

That's all fine and good, but THESE drives in the OP are the death star 75GXPs. These have absolutely no value.

Why would you purposely go out and buy a death star? It's not even a cool nostalgia piece. It is literally one of the worst hard drives ever made.
It's like getting one of those firestone tires from the 90's off an old explorer and putting it over your fireplace as decoration.

or even worse, USING it.

Some people like to own history though. I mean, people buy better than dead GPUs.
Yeah but, most of those people are hoping that the GPU can be revived by installing new drivers or vBIOS or something. With this... it's still a deskstar.

I just threw out a perfectly good 40gb death star the other day. Tossed that sucker off the back deck into the woods.

I just threw out a perfectly good 40gb death star the other day. Tossed that sucker off the back deck into the woods.

Next day, 20 geeky dudes with metal detectors scrounging in the woods....

Next day, 20 geeky dudes with metal detectors scrounging in the woods....

my backyard will be a very strange treasure trove of stuff in the future. Car parts, computer parts, bottles, and who knows what else I've just toss off the deck and on to the mountain side below.

Am I the only one that never had their 75GXP deathstar die? I felt so lucky.

I had 5 or 6. They all lived a long life and were replaced because of space issues. They also were fast drives in their day. So, I have good memories of mine.

this is on my wish list!

the failures are some of the best stories!

IBM 75GXP

GeForce FX 5800 Ultra

etc, etc

I had one last year at work. It was fully functional when I retired it years ago. We were in the process of moving to a different building and I had to downsize so I shipped it off to ewaste recycling where we pay to get rid of it.

Nope, I had 2 that lasted MANY years. If you kept them cool you were far less likely to have issues. I had one in a cool drive case and the other with a 80mm fan blowing on it.

Man those were the days :)
cd5.jpg

I did have one or two failures at work however they were one of the more reliable drives that I have had. Not HGST reliability but clearly more reliable than several enterprise drives.

I had one of those drives back in the day mine never died but the board it was attached to did (Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe) I had that quite a while so when it died I upgraded to a new fangled SATA hard disk drive

I think I may have a few deathstars laying around I've already made pre-dead. Will sell for $500 since I had to put in more work than these silly sellers posting ones that still work ;).

There's a class of things that you buy because they're literally the worst X ever made. I didn't think hard drives where in that class :D

Toss it into am i845 SDR Pentium 4 motherboard with an XGI Volari V8 Duo Ultra and you'll be cooking with gas, in the sense that you'll be trying to make food powered by burning farts.

Reactions: erek
like this
Those boards were notorious for capacitor failure, as were all Asus boards at the time.
as were most back then. i was doing warranty replacements on systems we built that were less than a year old. epox, GB, asus, abit, everything we used had the issue.

as were most back then. i was doing warranty replacements on systems we built that were less than a year old. epox, GB, asus, abit, everything we used had the issue.

The only motherboard brand that I saw wasn't affected was MSI. The capacitor plague was one of the primary reasons most of those brands don't exist anymore, they were crushed with RMAs and lost millions of dollars.

I still have all of my MSI boards from that time frame and they still work fine, never had any issues with them.

Sent you a pm on heatware. New account here so can't post in fst or pm but interested in your board.
https://hardforum.com/threads/fsft-rules-read-before-posting-or-commenting.1891705/
(16) No BUYING, TRADING, or SELLING anywhere with the exception of the For Sale / Trade forum. The FS/T forum has its own set of specific rules and has a required 100 post minimum to participate. WARNING: Do not spam the forums to reach the required minimum, your posts will be deleted or your account banned. Please read their rules before posting in that forum. No PRICE CHECKS allowed except in General Mayhem. [H]ard|Forum is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any loss due to any sale or exchange of any item in the For Sale / Trade forum.

there is a reason for those limitations...

Back