IBM A22P questions

tiebird321

[H]ard|Gawd
The Micron Lappy in my sig got sold this weekend so i'm looking into replaceing it

As powerfull as it was, it was just unsuited for doing what i want a lappy to do...

That said, i'm going back to my old system of having a SFF desktop for game and DV work. and the laptop for using on trips where its impratical to take the SFF + 20" LCD and other assorted goodies

Trough my contacts at IBM i can get a refurb A22P for $500 shipped
p3-900
512mb ram
40gb 5.4k HD
15" 1600x1200 UXGA display
7.5lb
new battery
dvd-rom/cdrw combo
90 day warrenty
4.5 hours per batt

This fits my Needs idealy for when i'm away from the desk as its got a massive high res display, has Svideo out + IN, will run XP Pro just fine.

I wanted to know what people thought of the A series and the build quality on them. Also if anyone knows what the real world bat life is like.
batteries for the unit run for about $70 on ebay for the 5.4amp/hour high capacity batteries so having 2 or 3 is a pretty cheap proposistion

I want the Laptop to last 12-18months or basicly until intel releases the dual core version of the P-M chip

~many thanks

The A series were always loved for their displays. Assuming my 15" UXGA in my T42P is of similar quality, well...UNF! Get it. You won't be disappointed.

Ordered it
according to UPS, its going to come on monday

already went on a spending spree on ebay :D
for $200 i got
1 Port replicator
1 Dock II (with the pci slot)
2 ultrabay 2000 batterys
2 aftermarket extra capacity (30% over normal) main batterys
1 digital microphone that plugs into the port at the top of the screen
1 PCMCIA USB2.0 & 1394 adapter

The Dock II aperently has a DVI port that is supported by the video card on the machine and allows for dual external screens with the VGA port as well. So i can hook up both my 19" lcd and my 21" CRT

I think i figured out with all the batteries I have something like 21hours of battery life. pics of system setup to come soon

Back