IB overclocking - turbo boost ratio vs cpu clock ratio?

kasakka

2[H]4U
My Gigabyte motherboard has two settings for overclocking: CPU clock ratio and Turbo boost ratio, with Turbo offering multipliers for different core configurations.

Does it matter which one I use? Right now I have CPU clock ratio set to 35 and turbo boosts to 44 on a 3570K but it still seems to work exactly the same as just using CPU clock ratio and leaving turbo boost to auto, meaning the CPU idles at 16x and then bumps up to 44x multiplier on load.

I use a configuration with boost disabled and it still down clocks to 16x. It just clocks all cores at 46x at load.

The bios should show you your speeds at different core loads. Well I assume it does given my z77 gigabyte does. Right now your 44x max is probably single threaded since it is a turbo multi.

Also, if you are using windows 8, don't trust the dynamic cpu frequency in task manager. It thought I was running at 6.1ghz .... >__>

Last edited:
You didn't mention MB or chipset .
ON Z77 's I would just use turbo boost settings, you can either set them all same or stagger multipliers for thermal reasons .

I used the turbo boost and had no problems. I left the multiplier alone.

The bigger problem I had with gigabyte was that when the voltage was left on "Auto" it jumped the Vcore to 1.4V when you started OCing up around 4.7Ghz.

Right , once you get above 4.2 or so you don't want to use auto anymore as it will push vcore on high side .

I had a similar problem as Kirbvri had with the gigabyte board with this sabertooth in my sig, For this board i think it was (auto oc) 4.7 was up to 1.39V and then 4.8 took it to 1.43V. If you only really want a 44x multiplier its probably possible to reduce your voltage from the auto oc max it will set.

Sorry, the board was a GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.0 which doesn't have anything but automatic Vcore.

Today I bought a GA-Z77-UD3H rev 1.1 to replace it and at the moment I'm running at 4.6 GHz at 1.344V (1.35V set in BIOS) according to CPU-Z. Don't know if stable, just got the mobo swapped and testing.

For the record the DS3H wouldn't even boot at 4.5 GHz while 4.4 GHz was almost stable but some games like Bioshock Infinite kept crashing after some time (no crashes at 4.3 GHz). If I can get this stable, cool and quiet at 4.6 GHz or maybe even more then I'd say the motherboard change was worth the extra 40 euros.

Still, I haven't been able to figure out if there is any real difference based on which setting you use in BIOS. The core clock doesn't seem to be even used if you set the turbo boost settings manually so it could just be a case of quick control vs more granular control of the turbo boost when it's enabled.

Last edited:
My bet is the VRMs couldn't keep up on the DS3H, since it has no heat sinks and a very basic VRM package. The UD3 is at least slightly more robust, and has heat sinks.

Could be. Now I'm trying to get it stable at 4.6 GHz. While temps are ok (about 75˚C on load) it seems that I have to pump in copious amounts of Vcore (while it worked fine on desktop at the aforementioned 1.35, it failed in LinX testing after about 10 minutes. Even 1.39 wasn't enough) or should I adjust something else, like setting LLC to Extreme (now on Turbo) or increase DRAM voltage?

Have you tinkered with your PLL voltage? IIRC, you want to raise it a bit when you're going for >4.5 GHz.

Have you tinkered with your PLL voltage? IIRC, you want to raise it a bit when you're going for >4.5 GHz.

I think by default it is set to 1.8 which is apparently pretty high already. I haven't adjusted it but have set PLL overvoltage enabled.

Back