i9 9900k on Z370 mb at 5ghz?

JMCB

Gawd
Anyone have any luck overclocking an i9 9900k to 5ghz on a Z370mb? I have an Asus Strix 370-E and I want to go for the newer chip as I can't hit 5ghz on my 8700k, and I don't really want to switch the motherboard as it's fully capable of running the new chip as well.

The biggest thing for OC'ing the 9900k's is often the power delivery, the strix I believe has a 10 phase which is pretty decent but bottom of the barrel for the 9900k, the 370 chipset just wasn't designed with as much power in mind and often struggle to provide enough voltage on top of risking the VRM overheating.
You might be able to get 5.0ghz, the key is the chip you get will vary how much voltage will it require and I can't say one way or another if the board be able to provide it stably and without issue.

That being said I would recommend to see how the R0 stepping release goes you might have better luck with the manufacturing binning that works better with the 370 chipset.
Secondary issue is heat, but your custom loop should have no issue squelching that.

Reactions: JMCB
like this
It depends.

Do you have decent airflow for your VRMs?
How much heat are you willing to tolerate? 80C+?
Are you actually going to benefit from 5ghz?
Do you mean AVX loads or just standard loads?

What does 5ghz look like for you?

Maybe wait to see how the R0 stepping affects overclocking. They should have better luck hitting 5.0 ghz with less voltage. Upgrading your MB seems like a waste.

Back