I9 9900K / I7 8700K ?

shadowj

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,
I'd like to ask you for an advice. I want to upgrade my CPU, I7 4790k OC@4,5 GHz

But i really don't know what should i get : I9 9900K ? I7 8700K or I7 8086K

Do you think, it's worth the extra bucks for the I9 9900K ? The reason for the upgrade is 95 % gaming ( mostly flight sims, X-Plane 11 is CPU heavy )

If i'd go for I7 8700K and OC to 5 GHz ( maybe 5,2 GHz ) would that be a better choice than I9 9900K with Turbo ON ?

Please give me some advices.

Thank you, in advance

5.2Ghz on an 8700K is going to take heavy duty cooling and probably a delid. At that point you might as well just get the 9900K.

8086K is an 8700K that was binned. It’s a collectors item of sorts, and will cost almost as Much as the 9900K.

Either way your going to want to water cool that CPU. I've delided my 8700k and got lucky to get 5.2ghz on all cores. Almost can get 5.3ghz but it will take alot more voltage then worth.

On water mine runs around 62-71c on load depending on the stess program used.

My vote is for the 9900k since you wont need to buy a delid kit and liquid metal for the goop.

Get a good aio or custom water loop and good 360 rad or so and good mb to allow for good overclocking, shoot for 5+ghz on all cores.

5ghz on all cores on the 8700k is a givin though with not much trouble.

eclypse, you mean, if I go with i9 9900k, turbo, do I need water cooling ?
I have a Noctua NH D15
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctua-nh-d15-dual-radiator-quiet-cpu-cooler-with-two-nh-a15-fans
Isn't this cooler enough for turbo / OC @5 GHz??
If I could OC the I7 8700k, to 5 GHz without water cooling, I'd buy this CPU

Highly doubtful that you will be able to cool overclock to 5 ghz on all cores with the Noctua. You should note that the 5 ghz turbo mentioned by Intel is only on 2 of the cores and not on all of them.

Highly doubtful that you will be able to cool overclock to 5 ghz on all cores with the Noctua. You should note that the 5 ghz turbo mentioned by Intel is only on 2 of the cores and not on all of them.
But with Turbo ( only 2 of the cores @ 5 GHtz ) should the Noctua be okay ?

9900k. If you're going to upgrade, go for a decent bump. I still consider the 8700k somewhat incremental to your current chip.

That said, you're at 4k so I still maintain GPU is your primary bottleneck, even in sims surely? Are you finding you're getting lag in your games? or the CPU is being pegged at 100%? If not, consider staying and going for a 4.7-4.8ghz OC on the 4790k perhaps? Just a thought.

If you only upgrade once every 5 years you should just go for the best out there. Get the 9900K.

A Noctua NH-D15 should be more than sufficient at stock settings, or a high-quality AIO if overclocking. :blackalien:

But with Turbo ( only 2 of the cores @ 5 GHtz ) should the Noctua be okay ?

I can't tell you that, because I haven't seen the temperatures of that CPU yet. Still it is being soldered which should bring the temperatures down quite a lot and you could be fine with the noctua only. But (there is always one) if the solder is not done proper way or is some kind of a trick by intel (which we've seen a lot) this could lead you to a purchase of a water solution.

I doubt any air cooler will be fine for either CPU at stock. Unless you like loud fans and sub 80c temps.

Overclocking and running either chip at 5ghz all cores will take more voltage and add alot more heat.

Maybe the new 9900 chip wont need as much voltage and end up with less heat.

Test and see but make sure whatever case you have or will get has enough room for a aio/custom water loop.

I doubt any air cooler will be fine for either CPU at stock. Unless you like loud fans and sub 80c temps.

Overclocking and running either chip at 5ghz all cores will take more voltage and add alot more heat.

Test and see but make sure whatever case you have or will get has enough room for a aio/custom water loop.

No why would a good air cooler have any issues with 8700k or 8086k at stock or overclocked/MCE enabled, the noctuca cooler like the d15 are generally very close to AIO coolers (even sure hardocp did a review on it

I’m pretty sure the d15 will be able to handle the 9900k at 5ghz on all cores. Based solely on the fact that this chip is soldered. Deliding my 8700k alone decreased my temps 20 degrees and allowed me to get to 5ghz on my old cryorig r1 back when I was still running on air. Granted it topped out at high 80s and low 90s cause my chip isn’t stellar but it still got the job done

Like I said go for it.. use the air cooler. If it's too damn hot have a back up plan with room for a good aio (360 rad) or custom loop.

I used a D15 for my 4.9-5Ghz on my delidded 7700K and it worked.

I would vote for the 9900K, just wait for the price to fall. If you want the 8700K now, just know that popping the top voids your warranty (possibly can ruin the processor) and you might not hit 5+GHz.

I would vote for the 9900K, just wait for the price to fall. If you want the 8700K now, just know that popping the top voids your warranty (possibly can ruin the processor) and you might not hit 5+GHz.

Pop that top, this is [H] and we do things haaaaaaard :bored:

D15 is great. Up there with any 240mm radiator aio while being quieter. More than sufficient for anything with a 1151 socket.

what do you mean, obs?
I should get some 240 mm radiator aio?
I'm saying the cooling capacity of a NH-D15 is around the same as a Corsair H100i, NZXT X52, or other 240mm AIO. It will also likely be quieter and cheaper. Downside is it requires more space around the CPU and can limit some RAM choices if you go with 2 fans on it.

Just remember a aio cant compete against a custom water loop. Easy 10+ c lower temps and even with a custom loop my 8700k with 1.45v to get 5.2ghz stable tops off at higher temps (71c) then I care for but people feel fine. Alot of heat running 6 cores at 5.2ghz.. just imagine 8 cores running at 5ghz.

That's with a single loop with only a ek supreme block and a fat 60mm ek 360 rad and ek D5 pump.

The 9900k is not worth the price imo.

Get a used 8700k when someone upgrades and delid and oc the shit out of it. Save$$$

9900k is so over priced. Not to mention Intel is lying outright about performance. I.e.. look at every tech site and YTber about it right now. Hottest thing on The tech press.

Dont get me started on the 28 core for 10,000 dollars lmfao

The 9900k is not worth the price imo.

Get a used 8700k when someone upgrades and delid and oc the shit out of it. Save$$$

9900k is so over priced. Not to mention Intel is lying outright about performance. I.e.. look at every tech site and YTber about it right now. Hottest thing on The tech press.

Dont get me started on the 28 core for 10,000 dollars lmfao

best advice right here!

Nahh it won't break the silicon. Silicon is harder than high carbon steel. The pcb you gotta be careful of. But a manufactured delid tool like the rockit will pop it with zero fuss.

Nahh it won't break the silicon. Silicon is harder than high carbon steel. The pcb you gotta be careful of. But a manufactured delid tool like the rockit will pop it with zero fuss.
Exactly, just use a tool and you are just fine. Don't use a razor blade and risk damaging the PCB. Very happy with my 7700k delid.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheap yeah but the rocket version has the most important part which is a clamp to use to hold the top back in place under pressure so it will be good as new once the black gasket material has cured.

Literally looked up a photo on google of my cpu and lined up my IHS back on that way. The cpu clamps on the mobo can hold it together after you’ve applied super glue.

Literally looked up a photo on google of my cpu and lined up my IHS back on that way. The cpu clamps on the mobo can hold it together after you’ve applied super glue.

True but ya risk the IHS moving when you install a heatsink or block to clamp it.

True but ya risk the IHS moving when you install a heatsink or block to clamp it.

Literally put a paper towel underneath my cpu and pressed down hard on the ihs with my hands for a few minutes. After the super glue was a little bit dried up I installed it on the mobo and the socket clamp held it down pretty good. But to each his own. I’m just giving people a cheaper option if $50 is too much for a more than likely one time use tool.

I thought people frowned on super glue, I mean it shouldn’t do no harm but the lid is much easier to remove when using RTV. But to each their own. Also I used the cpu socket/retention system to hold mine together while the sealent hardened.

I tend to let people know the issues that might arise, there are post out there that show this. In most cases people should be fine but with any modding there are risk involved.

OP also test your CPU/system before you proceed with swapping the TIM. Even though it’s rare to get one that is DOA, it doesn’t long to verify that you are not voiding a warranty on something that doesn’t work.

i5-9600k if you're price conscious, i7-9700k if your price is more in the 8700k range; the 9700k is soldered so the temps could be as much as 20 Celcius lower like a delidded 8700k. If you're wanting all-out best, and plan to hold on to the mainboard + CPU for 6 years or so, then the 9900k is a good option. I hear lots recommending the 2700x or 2600x for value. If you're wanting ultimate value the 2600x or 2600, if you're wanting the best value for performance then the 2600x and 2700x probably aren't as good as the 9600k since it's like a delidded and binned 8600k which beats both the 2700x and 2600x in many gaming scenarios.

As a side note, I personally game at 4K, which there benchmarks with 1080ti are pretty much identical for most of the CPUs, the thing to then consider would be once the GPUs are no longer 4K bottlenecks, then we'd probably see where the 4K benchmarks more mirror the 1440p or eventually 1080p CPU comparison. This would indicate the longer you hold onto the CPU the more advantageous a higher clocked i9-9900K makes its value seen.

9900k...

why bother with 8700k when price isn't that much of a big difference for extra 2 core and no delid required...?

9900k wont make a noticeable difference in games over 9700k as games really don't benefit greatly from ht.
So 9700k with 8 cores 8 threads will outperform 8700k with 6 cores 12 threads in games but maybe not for video editing.

9900k wont make a noticeable difference in games over 9700k as games really don't benefit greatly from ht.
So 9700k with 8 cores 8 threads will outperform 8700k with 6 cores 12 threads in games but maybe not for video editing.

I guess I don't get the logic here. Going from 4/4 to 4/8 does way more for gaming than going 4/8 to 6/6. The only reason we don't see a boost going from 6/6 to 6/12 is mostly due to gpu limitations or possibly thread limitations in games.

9900k...

why bother with 8700k when price isn't that much of a big difference for extra 2 core and no delid required...?

$150 of CPU and at least $20 of extra cooling (edit: and a pricier mb) is not that much? Why bother with an 8600k when an 8700k is only a little more? Why bother with an 8400 over an 8600k and so on?
At some point, people have to set their budget.

My budget is the highest / fastest mainstream CPU, whatever it is at the time. Mobo’s are always the Max Hero boards. Been perfect as long as I stick to that.

Really wish 10GbE would go mainstream.

Last edited:
Back