i9 7980xe to i9 10980xe

If you're not delidded the monoblock is basically the same as EK's individual blocks, if you want a better block you could get a clear alphacool eisblock xpx for 50 bucks or the optimus foundation for 120 or so if you really want the best (I don't think the signature is worth it). If you want to save money on fans get the Arctic P14s they're like 6 dollars each if you get the 5 pack and perform about the same as vardars without the ball bearing noise.

i have about 12 Gentle typhoons left i was going to use, eks config wouldnt let me get rid of the fans, in that link, my 7980xe is delidded, ill test with the block i have but ill grab a spare just incase, otherwise would that be an acceptable first start to a loop for the cpu?

Yeah looks fine, monoblocks may not work with a delidded CPU though since the height of the IHS is not to intel spec anymore.

ahhh that was going to be my next question, ill wait ekwb reply, would it be better to have the res mounted in front of my wall of GT fans (8x) in front, or in the area near the mobo since i have massive amounts of room to sapre?

ahhh that was going to be my next question, ill wait ekwb reply, would it be better to have the res mounted in front of my wall of GT fans (8x) in front, or in the area near the mobo since i have massive amounts of room to sapre?
Put it wherever it looks best and makes tube routing easier.

well if i can get a nice mount id think between the board and the fans would be best, as itd not choke intake and its be close enough to the cpu to not have fulgy tubing, ill have to watch ton of jays2cents vids as some iv seen he makes it look incredibly easy, only worry i have is cutting the tubes to fit and leak testing. and proper technique to bleed air outa the system.

are chillers stilll a thing? if i can get this loop in right and no leaks dead hardware. were i have this system is next to the window, in winter it gets below 50c here i could rig something up so i got a res not fully outside itd freeze water, but close enough that itd chill the water naturally,

well if i can get a nice mount id think between the board and the fans would be best, as itd not choke intake and its be close enough to the cpu to not have fulgy tubing, ill have to watch ton of jays2cents vids as some iv seen he makes it look incredibly easy, only worry i have is cutting the tubes to fit and leak testing. and proper technique to bleed air outa the system.

The case you claim you have already has a mount there. Maybe you should google some images of the case to see what it looks like because looking through the clear glass panel you're supposedly sitting next to doesn't seem to be working.

? did someone not give you enough hugs or somethin bud? for one i don't claim to have this, case i do it was $695 shipped from Amazon. i had the 900D but literally 2 weeks after i got it the 1000D came out, i shipped it back to get this one. im asking here as i figured this would be a better resource for this as the experience level from users who have gone through the same thing, im surprised the noctua worked as long as it did, but its time to cool this thing the right was as i probably should have listened to more experienced users from the beginning and got into wcing this cpu from day one instead of cheaping out and using a AC,

as someone with a 10980xe and a 7980xe the fps review report nails it in their conclusion. your gonna be hard pressed to notice any difference at all, especially if your just gonna do some serious gaming. i get about 200mhz over the 7980xe at equivalent voltages. but it still hits a wall at 4.6
i did buy the lowest silicon lotto bin so i knew that was what i was gonna get. that said if your dead set on getting a 10980 the binning statistics are pretty good for getting a better bin than i did so far (~1in4 are top bins) but who knows if that will be the case when these do hit the channel in greater number.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
im going to be putting this i9 7980xe into a rig for sale. if i can get a 10980xe close to msrp, this is start up after not using the system for a few days, water if def a need here.

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Scr.png
    CoreTemp-Scr.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
im going to be putting this i9 7980xe into a rig for sale. if i can get a 10980xe close to msrp, this is start up after not using the system for a few days, water if def a need here.

You have a core over 90C at idle? And the spread from coldest core to hottest core is over 50C? Water cooling isn't going to fix this. You've screwed something up in your build and need to figure out what it was, otherwise you'll have the exact same issue with water.

what i was afraid of i haven't touched anything internally the cpu was repasted with thermogrizzly tim, bout a month ago, temps were in a good range ill do some idle testing report back with temp pics ill reseat the cpu, re attach heatsink, repaste if its needed, ill also see if can tweak my oc settings.

You have a core over 90C at idle? And the spread from coldest core to hottest core is over 50C? Water cooling isn't going to fix this. You've screwed something up in your build and need to figure out what it was, otherwise you'll have the exact same issue with water.

I've seen some variance between cores on several CPU's. Usually, the spread is about 3 degrees. In some cases, it can be a bit more than that but I've never seen that kind of gap. A core at 90c while the system is idle tells me that something was messed up with the delid / relidding of the CPU.

and that partly why i was looking at taking lid off, this is first time this has started since ibuild this rig nearly 2 yrs ago, at start it was idling at 35-48c mark but beginning of this year it started climbing i did a repaste, its helped but then i seen that in core temp, that was concerning, think ill still do a delid,ill try acetone/iso 100% if can find it.

Back