i9 7980xe to i9 10980xe

Shadowarez

Gawd
hi all been waiting for the cascade lake 10980xe to launch looks like its finally nearing release, i have a Apex x299 baord and im looking to upgrade as the i9 7980xe has been delidded and resealed so nowere iv tried will touch it as they dont want to risk cracking the pcb since it was sealed with superglue, so i figure ill just retire it to another rig were someone wont oc it to 4.6ghz and itll be fine. was wondering if these are going to be any better for gaming / Workstation use.

You'll be waiting a while longer, I am in the same boat. The intel CPU shortage is REALLY bad currently.

Whoever sealed it with superglue is a damn idiot. Supposed to use silicone. However acetone will dissolve super glue.

Gonna be a while for 10980xe. Not enough volume to keep up and they are very rare currently

yeah lowest price i could find was $3250+shipping+Duties so no at that price id say $!@# it and go TR Full Bore, for the delidding should i just go the safe route and saok qtips in acetone and work around the edges for a few hours, or would submerging upto just the edges not touching the contacts? cant see find a solid source, on a method that'll work.

Id tape off the PCB then work at it with a qtip with acetone and you should be able to get it loose.

Microcenter has been getting a very sparse supply of CCLX chips. I went to one yesterday and they had the 10900x, 10920x, and the 10940x. A few got what seems like a single 10980xe but they sold out. They are selling them at correct pricing to. 10980xe at MC is $999.

damn thats insane lol were i live im at the mercy of retailers, its basicly the Africa of Canada when it comes to shipping anything worse if your newegg, did a test awhile back a cosmos 2 case will cost $1050, it was broken down like this $320 case $680 shipping $50 tax,

I keep checking newegg every few days. They had the i9-9960x (16 core for $1100) btu sold out almost immediately. I may just spring for another Threadripper setup if this intel shortage last more than a month or so.

hi all been waiting for the cascade lake 10980xe to launch looks like its finally nearing release, i have a Apex x299 baord and im looking to upgrade as the i9 7980xe has been delidded and resealed so nowere iv tried will touch it as they dont want to risk cracking the pcb since it was sealed with superglue, so i figure ill just retire it to another rig were someone wont oc it to 4.6ghz and itll be fine. was wondering if these are going to be any better for gaming / Workstation use.

Cascade Lake-X launched some time ago. Although, few of the CPU's have actually been available for purchase. Here is the deal: If you have a delidded 7980XE that can do 4.5GHz, it probably isn't worth the upgrade. You'll be spending a lot of money to maybe reach 4.7 or 4.8GHz. That's about all these are good for given how hot they get. Delidding won't do as much for these either as they have a soldered TIM. The CPU itself is essentially the same except for supporting additional RAM and having a 48 PCIe lanes instead of 44.

Also, the Core i9 10980XE CPU's should cost about $1,100. Any more than $1,200 and you are blatantly getting ripped off.

Cascade Lake-X launched some time ago. Although, few of the CPU's have actually been available for purchase. Here is the deal: If you have a delidded 7980XE that can do 4.5GHz, it probably isn't worth the upgrade. You'll be spending a lot of money to maybe reach 4.7 or 4.8GHz. That's about all these are good for given how hot they get. Delidding won't do as much for these either as they have a soldered TIM. The CPU itself is essentially the same except for supporting additional RAM and having a 48 PCIe lanes instead of 44.

Also, the Core i9 10980XE CPU's should cost about $1,100. Any more than $1,200 and you are blatantly getting ripped off.

LOL, if you can't find them. Locating that CPU is like finding that Rare White Elk.

LOL, if you can't find them. Locating that CPU is like finding that Rare White Elk.

I've seen a few Cascade Lake-X CPU's for sale. Mostly, the 10940X or 10900X's. I don't think I've seen a 10980XE for sale. However, they did officially launch some time ago.

If you want gaming performance, why not just buy a good GPU instead?

Sadly, that's not always the answer. According to the OP's signature, it would be. However, all things being equal a faster CPU will equal better performance. When overclocked sufficiently the 10980XE does fairly well on the gaming front. That said, I agree with you and that a better GPU would be more beneficial here. It's also worth noting that the Core i9 10980XE costs RTX 2080 Ti money. That would be the most bang for your buck upgrade in this scenario. Its considerably faster than a 1070 Ti and will provide a bigger upgrade to performance than any CPU upgrade on the market would.

Of course, this late in the RTX 2080 Ti's life cycle I'd hold off on a major GPU purchase.

Sadly, that's not always the answer. According to the OP's signature, it would be. However, all things being equal a faster CPU will equal better performance. When overclocked sufficiently the 10980XE does fairly well on the gaming front. That said, I agree with you and that a better GPU would be more beneficial here. It's also worth noting that the Core i9 10980XE costs RTX 2080 Ti money. That would be the most bang for your buck upgrade in this scenario. Its considerably faster than a 1070 Ti and will provide a bigger upgrade to performance than any CPU upgrade on the market would.

Of course, this late in the RTX 2080 Ti's life cycle I'd hold off on a major GPU purchase.

From my own experience with a 9980XE and a 2080Ti, the CPU isn't quite idle the whole time while gaming, but it never goes beyond 50% load.

If he's gaming at 720p, he's probably CPU-limited right now. But he'd also be pushing 400fps and the 10980XE would still leave him with the exact same frame rate.

From my own experience with a 9980XE and a 2080Ti, the CPU isn't quite idle the whole time while gaming, but it never goes beyond 50% load.

If he's gaming at 720p, he's probably CPU-limited right now. But he'd also be pushing 400fps and the 10980XE would still leave him with the exact same frame rate.

Fair enough. I don't really bother thinking about anything below 1920x1080.

the 10980xe would just replace my current i9 7980xe that id put in my sage x299 board ill have a build for once i can score 1, its currently only has a i5 7640x which isnt good enough for that board, and i dont game as much as used to so long as it can handle Ark/Destiny 2/Doom here and there itll be a nice lil side-grade till amd release's DDR5-Pcie 5 capable cpus,

the 10980xe would just replace my current i9 7980xe that id put in my sage x299 board ill have a build for once i can score 1, its currently only has a i5 7640x which isnt good enough for that board, and i dont game as much as used to so long as it can handle Ark/Destiny 2/Doom here and there itll be a nice lil side-grade till amd release's DDR5-Pcie 5 capable cpus,

It will be an upgrade in Destiny, but not as good as a GPU would be.

oh yeah this poor 1070ti is only in rig till a good amd-nvidia gpu come out if i can get a 10980xe for under $2000 the nthe next rig i sell will go to fund a gpu purchase as ill be ok untill amd makes DDR5-pcie 5/6 a thing then ill ditch x299, i honestly thought the 1090's series wasnt even launched lol when i seen linus on ty gamers nexus with them thought ok they got em but there prob just review samples and they will launch later on. didnt think the shortage was this bad, ty again for the update ill just have to connect with a retailer and see if they can put me on a pre-order list untill they get stock, if they even do that.

oh yeah this poor 1070ti is only in rig till a good amd-nvidia gpu come out if i can get a 10980xe for under $2000 the nthe next rig i sell will go to fund a gpu purchase as ill be ok untill amd makes DDR5-pcie 5/6 a thing then ill ditch x299, i honestly thought the 1090's series wasnt even launched lol when i seen linus on ty gamers nexus with them thought ok they got em but there prob just review samples and they will launch later on. didnt think the shortage was this bad, ty again for the update ill just have to connect with a retailer and see if they can put me on a pre-order list untill they get stock, if they even do that.

Again, you shouldn't pay anywhere near $2,000 for a Core i9 10980XE. Intel dropped the MSRP on the 9980XE and 10980XE to right around $1,000 or so. I reviewed the 10980XE here where I covered this in detail. The article was also published the day the Cascade Lake-X CPU's officially launched. That was back on November 25th 2019. The first ones started to show up about 2 weeks later, but again that was for the lower end CPU's.

wow that is quite the review i seem to fall in all the caveats i have the i9 7980sxe but i also have a board to drop my current hedt into,i dont need much more for ocing, and for the gaming i do itll work just as good, i just need to add a better gpu into the mix to really super charge it. i want amd but id rather wait for the new gen of ram/pcie, i just need to find one as close to msrp as possible for it to be anywere near worth it.

I get around 100-110 fps (I don't pay attention that much but these numbers stick in my mind) in destiny 2 4k fullscreen with hdr with my 7820x at 4.6 and stock FE 1080 ti so I don't think upgrading the cpu is really needed to be honest. If you just want two systems with 18 cores then go for it but if you want better game perf then put it toward a GPU and get a used chip off ebay or something.

I've done extensive testing with Destiny 2. The problem is that while you can get pretty good numbers on a wide range of configurations, you will also see very low minimum frame rates at times. I've seen it down into the low 20's on various HEDT CPU's. The Threadripper 2920X fell into the mid-40 FPS range quite often despite me having an overclocked RTX 2080 Ti.

Destiny 2 in places can actually have frame rate drops that go much lower than you'd imagine. This is especially true of HEDT CPU's.

1580956819999.png

Try Escalation Protocol on Mars, or the lost sector on Mars near Anna Bray. You can see these drops on some of the most powerful CPU's today. This happens even at 1080P. Sometimes these are quick drops in frame rates that feel like a momentary hitch. By the time you look at the FPS counter the issue is generally resolve. However, on CPU's like the Threadripper 2920X, (not pictured above) it wasn't the case.

Yes, a GPU is a far more worth while upgrade. This is especially true given that the 7980XE, 9980XE and 10980XE are all damn near the same CPU.

1580957038924.png

The real difference is that the 7980XE used a shitty TIM under the heat spreader. That's why it benefits from delidding. The next model, the 9980XE has a soldered heatspreader. The main difference when you get up to the 10980XE is that it overclocks better and has four more PCIe lanes. If you've already got a 7980XE that can do 4.5GHz, I don't think an upgrade is really warranted. Not for the kind of money involved anyway. You may gain 200-300MHz of overclocking headroom. I put a beefy cooling solution on the 10980XE and 4.8GHz is the best I can do with it. You just can't feed them enough voltage to keep their temps under control and be 24/7 stable.

Also, that increase in overclocking comes at a price:

1580957224145.png

That's at 4.7GHz. At stock speeds the system stays under 400w.

The thing that jumped out at me is that he's running an OCd 7980XE on a Noctua air cooler. That 10980XE load figure you posted - 617 watts - isn't that much different than the load of a similarly OCd 7980XE. I draw 600 watts under load, no way an air cooler is going to keep up with these things. I'd get a custom loop under water, not even an AIO, to keep something like this cool.

Last edited:
The thing that jumped out at me is that he's running an OCd 7980XE on a Noctua air cooler. That 10980XE load figure you posted - 617 watts - isn't that much different than the load of a similarly OCd 7908XE. I draw 600 watts under load, no way an air cooler is going to keep up with these things. I'd get a custom loop under water, not even an AIO, to keep something like this cool.

Water cooling is a must if you really want to push their clocks. I've seen temps upwards of 107c on some cores while doing hard stability testing and benchmarking. That's at 4.8GHz @ 1.25v.

Under full custom loop, I never crack 90C under synthetic benchmarks @4.6Ghz - and that's just one rogue core that I can't tame. I never crack half that day to day or gaming, and gaming is what was driving him over 100C. I'd never run the Blender benches or HWBot X265 with air.

Under full custom loop, I never crack 90C under synthetic benchmarks @4.6Ghz - and that's just one rogue core that I can't tame. I never crack half that day to day or gaming, and gaming is what was driving him over 100C. I'd never run the Blender benches or HWBot X265 with air.

At 4.6GHz or less, its fine. It's when you push for that last 200MHz or so that things get ugly. As far as the 107c, it's two cores that do that. The rest are in the 95c range.

At 4.6GHz or less, its fine. It's when you push for that last 200MHz or so that things get ugly. As far as the 107c, it's two cores that do that. The rest are in the 95c range.

Your rig or Shadowarez?

Even the 10 cores are sketchy on air cooling, if you have one of those or higher you should run a good CLC or custom loop.

FF14 is my main game and also has some serious low fps moments sometimes lol. I've never noticed D2 go as low as in their charts though, they must have some weird benchmark run or do some content I'm not doing.

Even the 10 cores are sketchy on air cooling, if you have one of those or higher you should run a good CLC or custom loop.

FF14 is my main game and also has some serious low fps moments sometimes lol. I've never noticed D2 go as low as in their charts though, they must have some weird benchmark run or do some content I'm not doing.

As I said, in Destiny 2, you can achieve this on Mars in the lost sector near Anna Bray. I've also seen these drops occur in events like Escalation Protocol or the Sundial. As I said, you don't even notice them when playing the game. You see a momentary hitch, but its gone before you can even see it on the FPS counter. Basically, you only pick it up in the benchmark. Where I saw it and felt it regularly was at 4K with a 2920X.

I suspect the Skylake-X / Cascade Lake-x / Ryzen 3xxx can further close the gap with the the 9900 when over clocked with aggressive memory timings. (i.e. 3600 c14 timings).

ill have change to a nice custom loop then i am surprised this noctua was capable this long, in that case can you recommend a loop that'll use the front 3x140 fan setup dont wanna have a ugly setup with 1 rad up top, and fans on other side, im been holding of on custom loops as the cost for what id want is really stupid, like well over $1000 in just the rads,cpu blocks, and reservoirs,

I don't think a single 480 rad loop will run $1K, but you have a 7980XE that costs quite a bit, an Apex board that ain't cheap, 64GB of RAM that's not inexpensive, etc. In contrast, my 7980XE rig has HW Labs GTX 480, GTX 420, GTX 240 x 2, all in P/P, 2 pumps, a single reservoir, hard lines, etc. I probably have a bit more than $1K in that loop, but there's a lot more gear than a single 480 involved.

But the main point was that with either an OCd 7980XE or 10980XE, a NH-U12A is going to be less than sufficient. I ran a NH D14 on mine to get it all dialed in before going under water and but didn't really try to OC it with that on, and it's a more capable cooler than the U12. I also didn't realize that these CPUs draw 600+ watts when I built it (that's with a decent OC and doing some intense work), that's a lot of heat to dissipate.

this is true i can rech out to corsair as they mightbe more forgiving with the price comapired to alphacools solution and it wouldnt want to wc the gpu untill i get a decent gpu upgrade anyways, id switch out the 8 gts uptop to the front and the 3 140s in front to the top area with the rad, id get a nice res, go soft tubing as its first loop, and keept it as simple as possible, jut the cpu to be wc, i do have a EK block that came with the board as a freebie,

Attachments

• ek-fb-asus-rog-r6e-monoblock-nickel_front_575px.jpg
    ek-fb-asus-rog-r6e-monoblock-nickel_front_575px.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
I don't think a single 480 rad loop will run $1K, but you have a 7980XE that costs quite a bit, an Apex board that ain't cheap, 64GB of RAM that's not inexpensive, etc. In contrast, my 7980XE rig has HW Labs GTX 480, GTX 420, GTX 240 x 2, all in P/P, 2 pumps, a single reservoir, hard lines, etc. I probably have a bit more than $1K in that loop, but there's a lot more gear than a single 480 involved.

But the main point was that with either an OCd 7980XE or 10980XE, a NH-U12A is going to be less than sufficient. I ran a NH D14 on mine to get it all dialed in before going under water and but didn't really try to OC it with that on, and it's a more capable cooler than the U12. I also didn't realize that these CPUs draw 600+ watts when I built it (that's with a decent OC and doing some intense work), that's a lot of heat to dissipate.

My loop has a 480 and 420 radiator, EK GPU water block, EK Velocity RGB waterblock and a big ass RGB res. I also have a EK pump which wasn't cheap. My loop can handle a 10980XE and I don't have $1,000 in it.

ok well last time i checked on ek it was about $680 usd and 680 usd to cad is $904 then theres shipping and tarrifs on duties, but as was mentioned i have alot in these parts i should be making sure there are adequately cooled.

ok well last time i checked on ek it was about $680 usd and 680 usd to cad is $904 then theres shipping and tarrifs on duties, but as was mentioned i have alot in these parts i should be making sure there are adequately cooled.

Fortunately, I can buy a lot of EK stuff from online retailers in the U.S. I can even buy the parts over at my local Microcenter for reasonable enough prices. However, I have a GIGABYTE RTX 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 11G which is not a reference card. Only EK had the block available so I had to order it and the back plate for it from them directly. It was $236 shipped to my door for the block and back plate, plus importation fees. All in all, not bad as far as I am concerned.

I don't recall the exact costs, but it's something like this:

EKWB 480mm Radiator - $89
Corsair 420mm Radiator - $69
Bitspower Fittings: - $150
EK Velocity RGB Waterblock - $109
EK RGB Res - $89
EK Quantum Vector Aorus Waterblock / EK Quantum Vector Aorus Backplate - $236
EKWB Waterpump $150

These aren't exact figures, but it comes out to just under $900. I may not have spent quite as much on fittings or even more when you add the drain setup etc. I also certainly spent some on hard tubing. I have no idea how much, but probably $50 between mistakes and just learning how to do it right. Also, my rig is huge so there is that. I needed a lot of tubing. So I might have gone over $1,000 in total now that I think about. I wish I hadn't thought about it.

However, this doesn't mean your setup will cost that much. You can certainly get away with one radiator, or even a smaller one. You also don't necessarily need to spend as much on a GPU block. I also went with hard tubing and lots of trial and error made that costlier than it otherwise would have been. I could have also gone with a smaller res, dropped RGB, etc. So there are plenty of ways to get the costs down a bit.

Last edited:
yeah all id really need is the right rad pure copper, enough tubing, fittings, i maybe able to use the mono block i have but id grab one just incase, a nice res no rgb, and a strong enough pump, all for just the cpu, the 1000D is Cavernious, lol

Back