i9-12900k vs 5950x - Out of the game for a while..

The Donut

2[H]4U
Hey,

Been out of the upgrade paths for a while. From what I can see, the i9-12900k bests the 5950x in most benches but at the cost of heat and efficiency, is that the general consensus?

Looking to upgrade soon from my i7-6700K. Usage is dev work, design, and gaming. So a real mix bag.

Any pointers appreciated.

Going from memory, yeah, that's my take as well. Though that AMD will still probably heat up a room fairly well.

Generally, the 12900K (and 12th-gen Core in general) leads in instructions-per-clock (IPC) and therefore single-threaded performance. The 5950X has more performance cores and is generally better at multi-threaded jobs that can hit all of them.

If this machine is earning you money definitely research if the apps you use have a preference. Very few games will make use of more than 6-8 P-cores (current consoles have 8) and generally the CPU brand doesn't make a huge difference.

(Also, FWIW, the 12700K is a far better deal than the 12900K.)

I'm in the same boat as you. Looking to upgrade a 4 year old X299 system and was choosing between these two procs.

One thing that swayed me beyond performance was the platform. Z690 seems to be much more future proof with compatability with upcoming 13 gen procs and DDR5 where as AMD will be moving to Zen 4 later this year.

Z690 seems to be much more future proof with compatibility with upcoming 13 gen procs and DDR5 where as AMD will be moving to Zen 4 later this year.

If you're starting fresh and going with DDR5 it does make more sense to go with team blue given the two options, for not other reason than getting another gen out of your setup. That being said, both Zen3 and DDR4 are mature (and readily available) technologies at this point, both competitive with an ADL setup, and DDR5 and an ADL cpu/mainboard will cost more if that is of concern.

Back