i9 10900k, are we having high hopes for this?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Getting ready to sell my 3950x and CHVIII combo as ive had my learning experience, fun times, and frustrating moments with that platform and gonna wait for the 10900k to spring upon us. Can we assume a highend watercooled cpu can achieve all core 5ghz again across its 10cores like the 9900k with its 8? Just want this setup again for just a premium ultra highend gaming only computer. Hoping maybe we are just a month away????

I'm in the same boat right now, was going to go I9 x series as i have a new evga x299 dark board but the cpus are no where near the price point as intel cant keep up production so im going to sell it off and just get either a z390 board or a z490 board

Getting ready to sell my 3950x and CHVIII combo as ive had my learning experience, fun times, and frustrating moments with that platform and gonna wait for the 10900k to spring upon us. Can we assume a highend watercooled cpu can achieve all core 5ghz again across its 10cores like the 9900k with its 8? Just want this setup again for just a premium ultra highend gaming only computer. Hoping maybe we are just a month away????

If you want more IPC , just wait for Zen 3. All Intel is doing is adding more cores.

There might be a 100-200 mhz core bump as well (so total 15-20% over zen 2)?

Show me a game where the 9900ks is more than 10% faster than a 3950x w tuned ram.. Zen 3 is supposed to COMPLETELY REVERSE that gap!

https://www.techspot.com/review/1955-ryzen-3950x-vs-core-i9-9900ks-gaming/

Last edited:
I would go amd but the x570 board bios are crap, had one brick on me with the 3800x with a aorus master

I'm in the same boat right now, was going to go I9 x series as i have a new evga x299 dark board but the cpus are no where near the price point as intel cant keep up production so im going to sell it off and just get either a z390 board or a z490 board

if you want the new 10 series, you better hold off for z490 as z390 wont support 10 series cpu's

If you want more IPC , just wait for Zen 3. All Intel is doing is adding more cores.

There might be a 100-200 mhz core bump as well (so total 15-20% over zen 2)?

Show me a game where the 9900ks is more than 10% faster than a 3950x w tuned ram.. Zen 3 is supposed to COMPLETELY REVERSE that gap!

https://www.techspot.com/review/1955-ryzen-3950x-vs-core-i9-9900ks-gaming/

Dont think I have to show you anything, as this isnt a convo of which is faster, you seem to get defensive a tad bit to fast.

Dont think I have to show you anything, as this isnt a convo of which is faster, you seem to get defensive a tad bit to fast.

I think all he's saying is that if you're building a gaming only computer and talking about future processors, Intel might not have the gaming advantage once Zen 3 hits.

But more to your point, personally, I don't have high hopes as early indications are the power consumption is through the roof. I also doubt you'd see a significant difference between 10 Skylake cores at 5Ghz and 8 Skylake cores at 5Ghz in gaming depending on your resolution.

I would go amd but the x570 board bios are crap, had one brick on me with the 3800x with a aorus master

That's ridiculous. I've flashed AM4 boards probably 100 times since release all without issue including several X570 boards. If there was a widespread problem with bios flashing in AM4, it would be more apparent. Writing off a whole CPU manufacturer for what very well could amount to user error is foolish.

It really depends on what you're doing with your computer. I don't think you'd notice a big difference until you got into the high core count expensive processors. For gaming, the mesh vs. the ring bus is going to tip performance to the mainstream parts over the HEDT. And like I said to newls1, I don't know that you're going to notice a big difference between 8 and 10 cores. If you're just buying z490 for the 10 cores CPU, you might as well just get a Z390 now and a cheaper processor (grab a used one when someone upgrades). If there a chipset feature you think you'd use, then by all means, get the z490.

Last edited:
I would just get whatever you can get a deal on now, if you want off the platform, sell the stuff on ebay to recover some of the cost, then save money for the nVidia hardware coming down the pipe. It's a gaming rig after all, GPU should be priority. Just curious, why do you want off AM4?

I would just get whatever you can get a deal on now, if you want off the platform, sell the stuff on ebay to recover some of the cost, then save money for the nVidia hardware coming down the pipe. It's a gaming rig after all, GPU should be priority. Just curious, why do you want off AM4?
cause AM4 (specifically 3950x) the performance is very inconsistent. multi boot issues, multi boost issues, getting lied too about max 4.7ghz boost which i never saw 1 time, and overall just dont like it. Intel may not have the core count like amd does, or their pricing inline, but atleast they have VERY consistent performance. I dont need anyone telling me about boost is cooling dependant (my waterloops cost more then most peoples pc's, my ram is tweaked to its best performance, im not a n00b, i have this processor overclocked across multi boards, and all have, if not the same, very close issues with boost, crossing your fingers if board cold boots, etc... I have all my bios settings set manually, again... not a noob. This platform is just not stable enough to have decent overclocks with, and wanting back to the blue side where i have had LESS issues. Dont know why i have to explain myself, you arent buying my hardware, and im a grown ass man!

So, that all aside, I don't have high hopes. New motherboard/platform, same IPC, 2 more cores and a crap ton more power required. Sorry you've have so many issues, but you're not likely to gain much by waiting (unless you need more cores for a specific workload). If you want back to Intel your *likely* to get about the same performance from the current 9900k in most instances (again, unless you have a specific threaded workload).

So, that all aside, I don't have high hopes. New motherboard/platform, same IPC, 2 more cores and a crap ton more power required. Sorry you've have so many issues, but you're not likely to gain much by waiting (unless you need more cores for a specific workload). If you want back to Intel your *likely* to get about the same performance from the current 9900k in most instances (again, unless you have a specific threaded workload).
Agreed -- for gaming specifically, I don't really see the point. If AMD isn't fast enough, then the 9900K is it. Everything after that is a roll of the dice, up to and including having less performance due to variances in configuration at any given level.

cause AM4 (specifically 3950x) the performance is very inconsistent. multi boot issues, multi boost issues, getting lied too about max 4.7ghz boost which i never saw 1 time, and overall just dont like it. Intel may not have the core count like amd does, or their pricing inline, but atleast they have VERY consistent performance. I dont need anyone telling me about boost is cooling dependant (my waterloops cost more then most peoples pc's, my ram is tweaked to its best performance, im not a n00b, i have this processor overclocked across multi boards, and all have, if not the same, very close issues with boost, crossing your fingers if board cold boots, etc... I have all my bios settings set manually, again... not a noob. This platform is just not stable enough to have decent overclocks with, and wanting back to the blue side where i have had LESS issues. Dont know why i have to explain myself, you arent buying my hardware, and im a grown ass man!

Not really yer not as good at it as you think you are.

It was the bios that bricked the board even gigabyte admitted that to me. Not my first time doing a bios update so i know it was not me. I do know they rushed the x570 boards so that may have been a issue i just like stuff to work as it should. Should i have given it a second try maybe but it is what is in that aspect of things. But you are correct on the cores comment in regard to gaming. Thats my niche anyway so I'm looking now for a z390 mobo and cpu now and have listed the mobo for sale over on ppcs discord as I'm still new here. I appreciate your insight always good to hear another side of things

The new 10-core i9s may be awesome, and in all honesty will be ridiculously fast. AMD's Ryzen 9s are also rediculously fast. it's really just a competition between which one is slightly more ridiculously fast than the other. Both choices will net you an awesome product.

It was the bios that bricked the board even gigabyte admitted that to me. Not my first time doing a bios update so i know it was not me. I do know they rushed the x570 boards so that may have been a issue i just like stuff to work as it should. Should i have given it a second try maybe but it is what is in that aspect of things. But you are correct on the cores comment in regard to gaming. Thats my niche anyway so I'm looking now for a z390 mobo and cpu now and have listed the mobo for sale over on ppcs discord as I'm still new here. I appreciate your insight always good to hear another side of things

I would assume that you could get a warranty replacement then from GB. I have not heard of any widespread issues relating to X570 in general was really my point, and generally speaking, the X570 launch was much smoother than the B350/X370 launch.

I would even offer to buy the board off you if I needed something that robust, but I'm guessing that's in the $300+ range, and I need something for my brother's build who doesn't need fancy features like 2.5G LAN, 3x m.2, or Wifi. I might have a Z370 Taichi available if you'd be interested in a partial trade though.

care to explain what is so silly? Perhaps read the 1st thread. I cant find anything "silly" about it.
...it has the potential to turn in to a flame war, based on anecdotes, highly opinionated rants, speculation, and fanboyisim.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

...it has the potential to turn in to a flame war, based on anecdotes, highly opinionated rants, speculation, and fanboyisim.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.
every post on this forum can turn into that, cause some members here make it a point to make that happen. point in case, look at the names that started that here. I asked a simple question, and all of a sudden childish people here turn it into a absolute amd vs intel BS...... Clearly has nothing to do with my OP.

Well, to answer your question...

No, we aren't having high hopes. I'm guessing availability issues, price gouging, and heat and power issues among the reasons why.

Do whatever you want. However the new Intel chips look very power hungry. Base 125W so if you overclock it expect over 300W. All this to power 2 additional CPU cores and how much actual performance gains? I would wait till benchmarks of the new intel cpus come out.

I think if you are looking for heavy threaded usage scenarios, such as workstation environments, AMD is the way to go right now. Gaming, I think Intel is still relavant, but not anything more than a 9900K. If you think you need 10 cores, you are better off with 12/16 on AM4, or even 24-32 with sTRX4.

Back