i9 10850k temp spikes at idle? Folding@Home suggestions with new rig?

AceCurby32

n00b
Specs:
i9 10850k - ran stock
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO - top of case mounted
MSI Ventus 3x OC RTX 3080 - Vertical mount using a EK Vertical Holder, Shifted
32gb 3600 RAM
2x Samsung M.2 storage
Auros Z490 Elite
Corsair 4000D Airflow - 3x NF-P12
(Ambient temp is 22-24C)

2 Questions, 1 Thread:
So, here's my thing: the CPU runs at about 30-35C at idle, but will randomly spike to 55-60C. For what reason, I do not know. I've looked this up and while some have reported it, I haven't seen a consensus if this is "normal". Is it though? The temp spikes at idle though lead me to Part 2...

Part 2: I run Folding@home a couple of days a week while I'm at work. I noticed in my first tests (Medium folding power) of the new rig that the CPU quickly went up to the 80-90s on all cores with a couple at spiking to 100 and then it thermal throttled. Ok, so the sucker runs hot, I get it. I changed it to Light power and the temps went to 80-90C with spikes to 100, and then again would throttle. The spikes on the Light power setting were less than the medium.

I'm looking for tips/tweaks/suggestions on how to Fold a bit without blowing up the CPU, and just on the heat issue in general.

Is this normal behavior? Do I need a better AIO? Is it the setup I have in the system? Do I need to underclock the CPU to keep the temps down during Folding? Should I abandon my Folding career?

Random spikes - I see that all the time - windows does something, and Coffee Lake temps jump pretty fast (10900k and 10700k both), causes fans to ramp. I adjusted the fan curves to follow water temp instead, solved the issue. Can't do anything about the CPU heat under load - these run ~hot~, especially the higher core count ones. (I'm on custom water for the 10700 and it still does it).

As for folding - AVX offset? Not sure if Folding is doing vector calcs these days, but load temps are, well, high on these. Might check paste and clamp pressure, but I'll easily float around 85-90c at full load (non-AVX) on mine, again on a custom loop.

The random spike is probably due to it not being completely idle as in some background task calls for CPU and due to the nature of the boost, it adds a lot of voltage and spikes 1 or 2 cores up to ~5Ghz to take care of it.

You could also go into your bios and set it to cap at a certain wattage with the PL1/PL2/Tau settings. Should be able to find a happy balance between lower temps and good performance.

Your AIO is exhausting it sounds like. Does your video card have a load on it also at the same time? Ideally, you'd want your AIO to intake fresh, cooler air.

As for folding - AVX offset? Not sure if Folding is doing vector calcs these days, but load temps are, well, high on these. Might check paste and clamp pressure, but I'll easily float around 85-90c at full load (non-AVX) on mine, again on a custom loop.
I'm not sure either, but maybe it does. I ran a stress test using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility with NO AVX and it ran in the 85-90c range. As soon as I switched over to the AVX tests, it jumped back to 100c and throttle.

Your AIO is exhausting it sounds like. Does your video card have a load on it also at the same time? Ideally, you'd want your AIO to intake fresh, cooler air.
Yes, it is exhausting out the top, with the case fans pulling cool air from the front. Maybe I'll swap it around, see what I get that way.

Check if nvrla.exe is running
https://hardforum.com/threads/nvrla-exe-may-significantly-increase-cpu-usage-heat.2012758/

I have the same CPU & hit this issue due to that resource hogging process.
I don't see it running, but I have the file, so I will try this and see if that's it.

I appreciate all the input and advice. I'll check these out and see what happens. The good news is that, while gaming or under "normal" applications, I haven't see it throttle or hit 100c, so A+ there.

My 10850K idles around 28C, but occasionally spikes to 43C for a second, but it happens pretty infrequently. No fans ramp up or anything like that so it really doesn't bother me at all. I have my AIO exhausting out the top as well. I have tried configuring it to bring cool air in, but have not seen where the temps were much different.

My 10850K idles around 28C, but occasionally spikes to 43C for a second, but it happens pretty infrequently. No fans ramp up or anything like that so it really doesn't bother me at all. I have my AIO exhausting out the top as well. I have tried configuring it to bring cool air in, but have not seen where the temps were much different.

It depends on the temperature of your video card. If you are hitting your video card hard, hot air is going to blow through the exhaust. If it is only CPU intensive, you won't notice that big of a difference.

The 10 and 11 series parts are just heat monsters.

I have an i9-10850k under a 240mm AIO and heavy loads will give the AIO a workout. I've seen it spike up to 194F (90C) at the beginning of a heavy load before the AIO can catch up, and then it'll settle back down to 150-165F (65-73C).

I repasted the water block a couple of times when I first built the machine and it made no difference, the i9-10850k is just a heat monster.It'd probably do better if it was delidded, but I don't really care enough to bother with it.

It depends on the temperature of your video card. If you are hitting your video card hard, hot air is going to blow through the exhaust. If it is only CPU intensive, you won't notice that big of a difference.
My 3090 gets pretty toasty while gaming (68C under load), but it is still in the tolerable range. I'm going to give the 011 Dynamic case a whirl again, so I may configure it differently this time around.

Specs:
i9 10850k - ran stock
Your are running stock on that CPU.
So spikes would be normal and yes you will throttle and drop CPU clocks massive lows especially running anything Folding/AVX load.PC Gaming would be 100% fine unless you run a game like BF5 and then your settings would hit 90ºC.
Also moving AIO can help CPU temperatures with long PC gaming sessions.

Set manual in BIOS for your DRAM 3600Mhz - USE XMP timings and input them yourself .
Dram voltage whatever it is for your ram-1.35v-1.40v

Set all cores sync to something reasonable so when you leave your machine on folding your good and no need to worry when Folding about CPU Temperatures.
Sync all core-48
CPU manual voltage-1.2v-1.23v with Load Line Calibration where the CPU voltage stays around the same as set when under load. (Check CPU Vcore Voltage in HWInfo64)

SA and VCCIO since your not overclocking DRAM- 1.2v-1.25v should be plenty of voltage
PCH-1.05v

Leave turbo speed on to get 4800Mhz and the thermal velocity 3 to disabled and boost +1/+2 to disabled.

You can leave the rest on auto and you should be fine. Like speed step/C-states.
If you want you can set Ring Bus enable and set a min 42 and max 45 with CPU at 48.

Now of course you have to test stability with CPU manual voltage . The higher the clocks the way higher CPU voltage you needs to run but 4800Mhz all core overclock on low voltage is great to run. Bonus is you can set you Fan BIOS curve to run silent when running system at max speed.

That's about it if you wanna try.
Here is an example of what CPU voltage Vcore should be when setting the LLC load line calibration, should not be much difference in what manual voltage you set and what Vcore voltage you get when under 100% load in HWInfo64. All the VID voltages does not matter,Vcore is the important one.

10850K- 4800Mhz @ 1.2v in BIOS CPU manual voltage with LLC 6 on my motherboard to keep same CPU Vcore voltage under 100% CPU load and BIOS curve set so CPU AIO Fan runs at silent RPM. Set your to your comfort level. Also my VCCIO will be higher than your cause I run 4400Mhz.
https://postimg.cc/hQ9zFHD5
10850k-4800-Mhz.jpg

Last edited:
Back