i7 config - opinions?

ObiDamnKenobi

Limp Gawd
Hope this is the right section for this.
I'm pretty happy with this configuration I'm considering now, specs and price wise. But just wanted to see if there are any strong opinions here;). Will be used for photoshop CS4 and some games. Anything to add/remove/change?

Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E
Corsair TX 850W
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 3.4GHz 8MB
Cooler Master V8
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58
Super Talent DDR3-1333 6GB (3x2G CL9
Western Digital Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200rpm 32MB (140-250-250)
Western Digital WD1001FALS 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB
Samsung SH-S223Q LightScribe 22X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive
EVGA nVidia GeForce 260 GTX Core 216 SC 896MB
Super Talent INT-AIN1-C All-in-One USB2.0 Internal Card Reader
Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I did consider a Raptor disk for OS, but decided against it based on cost.
Thanks!

Why the black and the 1tb? if your looking performance you could grab a raptor as your main drive and just use the 1 tb as the storage drive.]

Edit: I'm an idiot, just read the bottom lol.

hehe, no prob. yeah the raptors are a little pricy for now. I have considered getting one later when my cash balance recovers though:)
I'm hoping that using the 640 as OS/apps and the 1T for storage will at least give better performance than just one disk. And the price difference up to 640 is only minimal.

Nice build,one of Max's,isn' t it? I've had trouble picking a motherboard for mine,but I'm leaning towards the EVGA myself.The V8 is a good cooler,but the Thermalrite Ultra performs a bit better.

Nice build,one of Max's,isn' t it? I've had trouble picking a motherboard for mine,but I'm leaning towards the EVGA myself.The V8 is a good cooler,but the Thermalrite Ultra performs a bit better.

I would say it has to be Max's.. the Super Talent RAM and no B on GB give it away haha

Do you really need a 850W power supply for that setup? Why not getting something less like a 750W or less for a cheaper price.

Yeah that setup is from Max. I know cause I've ordered from there too recently...and I've been watching the site like a hawk to see if my system has started assembly. lol I don't blame the OP for going a lil overboard with the PSU...I would have done the same myself but the boss (wife) said I had to keep it as cheap as possible.

To the OP...looks like you'll have a good solid system that won't let you down. At least that's my opinion. :)

I'd get the Cooler Master HAF 932 case for a i7 build, but that's just me.

Everything else looks good and enjoy your rig. :)

too funny

All of us recognized the max configurator right off the bat.

Mine's in assembly =)

One of those $5000 machines? I went for the same case as Obi did. It was a toss between that and the ElementS. I'm not a big fan of the case door ... just another part to break and I put the router on top of my desk top too. Sadly not all of us have room for a full sized tower. I'm glad Max put the pictures up of some of the full tower builds and it gave me an idea of how limited I was to put a Cosmos 1000 in my build.

And, now it's official .... sound of vaccume taking away mah money .. I'm a paid customer of Max's. :) If all goes well he'll get plenty of recommendations for anyone in the family looking for an inexpensive quality computer.

hehe, yes as several people recognized I'm having Max build this thing. But as that site is outlawed here I didn't see the need to point it out..:) I've seen nothing but positive testimonials from customers of Max so I decided to take the chance and get my new rig there, for a great price too!

Thanks for the responses. Since nobody had any objections or experience with catastrophic meltdown with any of the components or anything like that I'll pay Max tomorrow and start the wait :D

I know the PSU is kinda overkill but figured maybe I want to upgrade the graphics later or something and the difference between 750W and 850W corsairs is a full $10, so saw no reason to skimp (that's newegg though, Max is a little more I think).

bekfreak: the whole thing will cost me just under $2000. I agree with you about the case; don't like the doors. I use the card reader for my SLR all the time I would probably accidentally kick that door off pretty quickly.

I just picked up the same case. As much as I dislike the doors, I need the extra space that the case offers without having to go to a full atx tower. I am just waiting for it to arrive now :)

But of course they're trying to skim down on the power some of these cards use the 260 55mn cards and the 285 GTX.

Yup, the RC-690 and I have a flighted African Grey who lives with me ... She's on the heavy side for a bird and I don't need to give her another 'runway'. :) And, it has no doors. It was simple and I needed a flat topped tower to put the router on. :)

update: well the order is in! The wait is on..

I got some responses elsewhere that the 1333 MHz RAM would limit the overclock, could reach 3.8 GHz with 1600 RAM.. But in the end didn't want to spend another $100+ for a small increase. I'm sure this thing will beat my 3 year old laptop pretty solidly anyway:)

I'm hoping the awesome frame rates will help me improve my personal best in Minesweeper...

I'm hoping the awesome frame rates will help me improve my personal best in Minesweeper...

Well unfortunately I think you might need to call Max and change the CPU to the 965 and get dual 295's in order to do that.

We're talking MINESWEEPER here....

Very well balanced system - good job. What was the final cost, if you don't mind me asking? What monitor do you use with this setup?

Thanks Randy. Sure I don't mind telling the cost. Think I posted it somewhere up here too.. Total was $1900 +shipping.

I have an HP 24" monitor I'll be using, not sure about the model. 2475 or something..? Got it since it's a cheaper IPS panel, making it good for photo editing.

Back