i7 990X build , sli 480 gtx or??

Hi there everyone XD , I am lookin to get some input from those who run sli nvidia surround or tri sli surround users, I recently. Just sold my i7 860 to a friend with mobo , and ddr3 ram included , I got some extra money coming in pretty soon and I was thinkin of waiting till the i7 990x to came out and upgrade to that while still keeping my other parts such as ssd,fermis exct, I run my games like at a 5760 x 1080 resolution , x3 acer 120hz lcd, now the real question is , would I be better off upgrading to the. 990x and oc it over 4ghz and keep using sli surround or just grab somethin like an i7 930 for the trip chan memory and slap another fermi in there for tri sli and oc to 4.0ghz , I've realized that high resolution really give my cards a workout that's why I mentioned another card for tri sli, I know the difference between the 860 I sold and the 930 isn't really huge but I really need the input from those who had the tri sli set up with a quad i7 or the sli with a 980x which is pretty much a 990x. Note that I don't really do much of anything but just game , could care less about video editing exct. Looking to hear from you enthusiasts out there, Thanks in advance.

easy, go for the i7-930 and tri-sli if you game, get a good HSF for the 930 and overclock it

+1 for the 930, I wouldn't bother with the 980/990x for pure gaming. You'd see no difference.

Thanks a lot, quick question will my cpu bottleneck if iam running tri sli gtx 480, at 4.0ghz ht off ? At a 1920 1080 or x3 monitors at a 5760 x 1080. :D, I've read that sli fermis >x2 an i7 at 4.0 won't bottleneck just wonderin on 3.

Last edited:
keep HT on if you're worried about a bottleneck, the 920s can, not sure about the 930s though

For gaming there is no point in getting the 990X. It would literally be the same as buying an i7 930 and then burning several hundred dollars in cash in your barbecue. As far as HT goes, hyperthreading does nothing for gaming and in fact slightly hurts gaming performance.

In terms of clock speed, a 4.0 i7 is plenty to not significantly limit your performance. You will certainly run up against a CPU wall in some very CPU-bound games, but those are the games where you will already be getting 100-200 fps. Not that you can get that far past 4.0 on sane cooling anyway.

Thanks a lot for the input everyone , I guess I am gonna go tri sli i7 930 for my nvidia surround set up , instead of the sli 990X.

Back