i7 950 Overclock on Air

Kusanhagi

Weaksauce
I am using a Core i7 950 on an ASUS Sabertooth x58 motherboard and a Coolermaster Hyper 212.

At stock speeds I am running 35 degrees idle and 43 degrees under gaming conditions.

What temp should I be able to push it to when I overclock safely with this setup?

Whole thing is in a Corsair 600T case.

I'd try to keep it under 75C optimally.

Running my 950 @ 4.2ghz using a Xigmatek S1836 Gaia or some shnit...triple heatpipe direct contact with dual 120mm fans...never gets hotter that 76C...so you will be alright.

Just know that stressing the CPU using Prime95 or similar DOES push your processor to higher temps than you'll ever see with general usage such as gaming/media encoding...so if you're hitting 85-90C stress testing you won't go that high when using it for real world applications.

Other than that have fun!

I like to keep my load temps on air (non-Prime/LinX stress) in the low to mid 60's C. Stress tests of course would be higher.

anything around 75c is fine without alot of volts, if you have anything more than 1.4 i would hope your near or under 65c unless your going under water then at that point your board will be your limit as even the sabertooth with the right voltage and memory can see 4.5+

Is a 950 going to overclock allot easier than a 920 d0? I just dont see as many write up about the 950 compared to the more popular 920.
Thanks

Just to clear up. I have a 920 c0 under water from the days of first released 920's. I have a 920 d0 in hand and a 950 coming for my wife's computer build. Just wanted to waist as little time as possible and put the higher clocker in my rig.

Highly depends on your luck. They are all essentially the same chips with different multipliers. The one that would overclock better cannot be determined from the model, it can only be determined through manual testing.

Most x58 boards do not like to go over 200 mhz on the BCLK. Your Sabertooth is a good overclocking board, so it should be at least capable of 200 mhz, if not higher. Again, this also depends on your luck with the board and the CPUs. With a higher max multiplier, you do not need as high of a BCLK overclock in order to achieve the same speeds.

The 950 will have the higher maximum overclock due to the higher max multiplier. This, however, does not mean it will be the better overclocker. There are many cases of the 950 overclocking worse than the 920 D0; essentially the 950 needing more vcore to attain the same clock speeds. The reverse can also be true. The only way to find out is to manually overclock and experiment for yourself.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. What you wrote was what I was assuming was going to be the case.

Back