i7 930 weird temp readings...

damstr

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so I just got my system up and running watercooled everything and using the HEATKILLER rev 3.0 block.

On my Evga E760 mobo there is an LED display that shows current CPU temperature. Well its different by an amount more then I'm comfortable with from RealTemp.

RealTemp reports 68C @ load and my mobo's LED display says 47C @ load.

Not sure what to think here...

It idles around 30C which is what the BIOS says and what my LED display says on the mobo. I'm thinking either there is a setting in RealTemp that has to be changed or I'm missing something else.

This is @ 3.3ghz btw stock voltage if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The difference comes either from reading different sensors or from different offsets. RealTemp reads directly the core temperature sensors, while your mainboard either reads another temperature diode in the CPU, or a filtered version (with perhaps an offset) of of the core temperature via PECI.

If you try the Open Hardware Monitor you should see both temperature readings (mainboard and core) for the CPU (at least for cases where the mainboard is not njust a temp reported via PECI).

Thanks I'll try that out tonight.

Which one should I be basing the temp off?

Just make sure your core temps have enough distance (more than 20°C-30°C) from the TjMax. In the Open Hardware Monitor you can see the TjMax of each core when you double click on the temperature sensor (or right click -> Parameter...).

Yeah I saw the TJ max when I was in RealTemp yesterday. It said I was around 34c from TJ max on the hottest core.

69c is the limit on these things right?

Thanks.

Back