i7 930 Gold Pads not so Gold (underside of the cpu)

i have seen this on a 775 P4 and that P4 is still running solid today, i have no idea how it occurs or what effect it would have on your cpu though

^ thanks for the response. I thought it look fishy.... the processor works fine its just I took it off and found it like that...

If you could pick up some contact cleaner you might clean it off but unless you were having a problem I wouldn't worry about it,

Wear of the pins moving on the contacts (thermal expansion and contraction), and as mentioned, oxidation can cause it. I doubt cleaner would do anything, maybe help your OCD a bit if you have it ;)

A clean rubber eraser (for pencils) works well to clean up tarnished gold contacts.

It's just a little oxidation, Alcohol won't remove it. I would just leave the pads alone.

Wear of the pins moving on the contacts (thermal expansion and contraction), and as mentioned, oxidation can cause it. I doubt cleaner would do anything, maybe help your OCD a bit if you have it ;)

A clean rubber eraser (for pencils) works well to clean up tarnished gold contacts.

Bringing an update to the thread.

Alcohol didnt take it off and im too chicken to use a rubber eraser on it.

But I'm glad it doesn't impair the function of the processor FTW!

Man, if you're "chicken" about using an eraser on the perfectly secure gold contact of a CPU, you'd shit your pants back in the day of "pencil-overclocking Thunderbirds" ...:eek::rolleyes::D

Bringing an update to the thread.

But I'm glad it doesn't impair the function of the processor FTW!

A clean rubber eraser is safe to use on gold contacts. I use them all of the time to clean contacts in unstable systems that customers bring in. I live in a high humidity coastal area and they get a film on them after a while. Most systems don't have a problem with this but some high performance systems do. I've never had a part fail from cleaning contacts and I've been doing this for almost 30 years.

The worst thing that will happen is that it won't remove your tarnish but you won't know that until you try! "D

Had the same thing on my 920 after 3 years of use. Still works fine after I moved it.

Back