i7 920 users, any change to voltage required to reach 3.2 GHz (965 speeds)?

Cyrilix

2[H]4U
Question as in title. Was wondering if you guys hit 3.2 without having to adjust voltage and any other settings? I've only done overclocking back in the AMD X2 days, and back then it was pretty simple, you essentially had:

- an FSB/Hypertransport speed, which scaled the memory (and with the memory speed)
- a ratio (1:1, or less, if your memory couldn't run fast enough)
- a multiplier
- a CPU voltage

Are there any new aspects / things that have changed that I should worry about when trying to do 3.2? Also, is the stock HSF good enough for 3.2?

If you got any x58 mobo from ASUS or EVGA, you don't need change any voltage to get 3.2g.

I have never needed to change the voltage to hit 3.2GHz on any Core i7 920. That goes for both C0/C1 and D0 stepping 920's. I've worked with a number of different X58 boards and so far this experience seems to be almost universal.

my motherboard has a "Dummy O.C." option which bumps it up to 3.33ghz(ht and turbo) without me having to do anything...doesn't really help ya much, but it shows that its easy to get to :)

My D0 stepping can do 3.6ghz with no voltage increase, just leave the voltage setting on "normal" and not auto. 1.13 vcore or something like that, don't remember on the top of my head.

D0 here- didn't need to change voltage(s) at all to hit 3,6Ghz either (even with air- Noctua cooler) - haven't tried so low oc after I lapped the cpu and did go wc (1,48 to hit 4,6Ghz tho)

Don't remember the c0 I had :eek:

Last edited:
So, I set the DRAM frequency to 160 from 133, and now it's doing 20x160 = 3200, without a hitch. The RAM, however, doesn't seem to go. I checked cpu-z, and for the RAM it says 2:6 ratio, with a 480 MHz speed, running 6-6-6-18 / 2T timings. My RAM is G.Skill PC12800, I believe, rated for 9-9-9-25, so it should be able to hit 800 MHz. If I change my RAM frequency manually (from auto), it just stops working.

Let me check what RAM settings don't work. I'll report back.

Edit:

OK, so when I set my RAM speeds to 1280 MHz (640 MHz), a 2:8 ratio, it works. I leave the timings to "auto" on my motherboard, and in CPU-Z, it tells me that it's doing 8-8-8-20.
The other RAM speed option for me (one step higher) is 1600 MHz (800 MHz, or the rated speed), a 2:10 ratio, and it won't boot. Likewise, the timings are set to auto, but I've tried it with 9-9-9-25 with no luck either.

Anyone know how I can get my RAM to run at that speed?

Last edited:
OK, so when I set my RAM speeds to 1280 MHz (640 MHz), a 2:8 ratio, it works. I leave the timings to "auto" on my motherboard, and in CPU-Z, it tells me that it's doing 8-8-8-20.
The other RAM speed option for me (one step higher) is 1600 MHz (800 MHz, or the rated speed), a 2:10 ratio, and it won't boot. Likewise, the timings are set to auto, but I've tried it with 9-9-9-25 with no luck either.

Anyone know how I can get my RAM to run at that speed?

Have you tried increasing the voltage a bit?

I got to around 3.4-3.6 before I needed to adjust any voltages on my D0 920 + evga x56 tri sli

seems like 3.2 should be pie?

Try setting the vtt voltage a bit higher, to 1.25v or so, that will help your imc if its struggling with the 2:10 ratio. Also, make sure your uncore (nb+l3) is at least 3.2ghz, as it has to be 2x the mem clock.

Try setting the vtt voltage a bit higher, to 1.25v or so, that will help your imc if its struggling with the 2:10 ratio. Also, make sure your uncore (nb+l3) is at least 3.2ghz, as it has to be 2x the mem clock.

OK, I will give that a try. The uncore was always set to auto, so I assumed it would pick the right speeds.

My RAM is not special high-voltage RAM though. I didn't think such a thing would help. Its default is 1.5V, and the XMP profile also sets it to 1.5V.

My RAM is 1.5v-1.6v as well but runs stable at 1.52v. Due to vdroop, the BIOS setting is 1.54v I believe. Try increasing the voltage incrementally.

Also do what magnum suggested. Uncore should be twice the RAM frequency (2 x 1600MHz = 3200MHz). I have my QPI/VTT set to 1.30v.

Back