I7-920... time for an upgrade?? I7-7700?

Flgator

n00b
So I haven't built a system in ages i7-920 and me thinks it's about that time. I'm thinking on ITX form factor. I don't build often so I end up spending a little more to try to make it as long lasting as tech allows. I'm not into overclocking or water cooling as I'm no longer interested. I just want a semi quiet stock cooled and fairly cool temp wise pc. With that said would you recommend z270 with a i7-7700 or i7-7700k? does 65w vs 91w make a big difference with heat?

It won't make a tremendous difference provided you plan accordingly (airflow, case choice, cooler, etc.). I would do the 7700k just for the higher base clock.

The 7700k offers practically no benefit over the 6700k and so you might want to save a little money.

You might want to wait a few months for Ryzen to come out and prices to adjust accordingly. You've made it this long, why not a bit longer :)

What do you expect the use of th system to be for? Gaming? Work? Other? What applications?

I'm trying to understand how your 920 is failing you're now or when it is showing it's age

So it's not as much that the 920 is failing as much as it is a couple other things. 1) I'd like a smaller footprint than the huge v1200 Lian Li ATX box ive got. 2) I haven't built one in a while and it gives me a reason to build.

If I'm going to build a new box, I'm not going to buy old hardware to put in it. I'll just build a new one with latest and greatest to keep for another long while. I've really just been waiting for a "good time" to start another build and pondering if it makes sense to do that with Z270 and 7700.

Last edited:
So it's not as much that the 920 is failing as much as it is a couple other things. 1) I'd like a smaller footprint than the huge v1200 Lian Li ATX box ive got. 2) I haven't built one in a while and it gives me a reason to build.

If I'm going to build a new box, I'm not going to buy old hardware to put in it. I'll just build a new one with latest and greatest to keep for another long while. I've really just been waiting for a "good time" to start another build and pondering if it makes sense to do that with Z270 and 7700.
Yes, I understand building is fun. I dropped a 6 core Xeon X5670 ( $80 on ebay) into mine and have enjoyed playing with it (noticeably faster at same clocks); as it's lower TDP than the 920 that could be an option , but it sounds like you're looking for new/shiny and the new CPU's do offer improvements over these older ones.

I think you're on the right track with latest/greatest; looking at how the X58 aged I would get top of the line as well if I was doing a full build. These mobo's/CPUs can last a long time as long as you get reputable components and don't abuse them too much

As I mentioned, I think that 'time' would be in the next few months, after the release of the 7700 is less 'NEW' and demand can adjust if the new AMD Ryzen CPU can compete in any way with the current Intel lineups. I'd hate to get excited, buy next month, then 2 months after the pricing/availability of the same thing is better. That said, you'd be enjoying the new rig for that much longer

My last system was pretty much identical to yours and i replaced it last year, it had an amazing run but i got the itch.

I went to my current rig and couldn't be happier. My 920 was playing many games just fine but only just, it may have been my 680ti bottlenecking or the cpu depending on the game.

I built up a 5960x rig with titanx x2 and couldn't be happier. the titans were a waste tho.

Back