I7 920 H50 Stress test 90c?

Aus10

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Intel I7 920 cpu on a P6t mobo in a Corsair 600T case. I have one fan on the radiator and it is blowing air out of the case. I can a stress test and it got up too 91c before i turned it off. I just recinttly put artic silver 5 on it maybe a month ago but the computer has been down for 2 of those weeks. I used the line method when i installed it. Does anyone have any advice on how i can bring these temps down. Right now it is idleing at 50c? Running Fan that came with the corsair case. I thought they were the same fan. All fans are maxed out running the Fan controller.

No, My ram is at its XMP profile tho so i know some the voltages are changes to that Profile Although im not sure what they are.

Sounds like you might not have mounted it correctly, I hit 90*c folding 24/7 overclocked, stock I wouldn't go over 75*c

I know it was a bitch to install so It can be a bad mount

Yah check the mounting, Also when you turn the PC on, make sure you can hear the water begin to flow. Pump may not be kicking on? If nothing else try throwing another fan on it in push pull.... But you should be seeing much better temps the way it is.

Sounds like you might not have mounted it correctly, I hit 90*c folding 24/7 overclocked, stock I wouldn't go over 75*c

I know it was a bitch to install so It can be a bad mount

Whats the correct way to install it? I think I may have used to much Thermal Compound,

Yah check the mounting, Also when you turn the PC on, make sure you can hear the water begin to flow. Pump may not be kicking on? If nothing else try throwing another fan on it in push pull.... But you should be seeing much better temps the way it is.

I usually hear the pump kick on and if i touch it while its running i can feel it vibrating. What fans should I get? I would like to replace all the fans in the case. Thanks

Whats the correct way to install it? I think I may have used to much Thermal Compound,

without messing up the thermal paste, you want the block and IHS to ONLY touch once, if you mount and unmount, air pockets will form as you press down the block again.

Completely wipe off the existing thermal stuff from the CPU and the H50's block; clean both the top of the CPU and the H50's block with rubbing alcohol. I use a paper towel or tissue.

Put pea-sized amount of thermal compound in center of CPU, push H50 down on it and while applying pressure rotate it back and forth just a bit to get the compound to spread more and then lock it down.

Yep sounds like a mounting problem. To verify this, turn on your temp monitor for your CPU and push on the H50. If your temps come down then you have a mounting issue. If they don't you better change thermal paste as djoye says.

Yep either mounted incorrectly or too much TIM used. I would follow djoye's advice but NOT a pea sized amount of TIM, a grain of rice is enough. Peas are huge.

Completely wipe off the existing thermal stuff from the CPU and the H50's block; clean both the top of the CPU and the H50's block with rubbing alcohol. I use a paper towel or tissue.

Put pea-sized amount of thermal compound in center of CPU, push H50 down on it and while applying pressure rotate it back and forth just a bit to get the compound to spread more and then lock it down.

Ok thank you guys ill fix that soon and post new temps. I know artice silver 5 needs curing time too.

I reapplied the artic silver. My temps are still strange and i used less. Do you think there might be something wrong with the cooler? Or does the thermal coumpound need curing time?

I reapplied the artic silver. My temps are still strange and i used less. Do you think there might be something wrong with the cooler? Or does the thermal coumpound need curing time?

As far as I know there will be a couple C difference between when first applied and when it is cured. I put some AS5 on my old socket 478 2.4ghz and it ran the same temps as the old stuff right after I applied it. Is your cooler completely fastened down?

As far as I know there will be a couple C difference between when first applied and when it is cured. I put some AS5 on my old socket 478 2.4ghz and it ran the same temps as the old stuff right after I applied it. Is your cooler completely fastened down?

Yes very tight im afraid if i go tighter i will break the plastic...

Did you connect the pump to the CPU_fan header on your motherboard and is it set to 100% or auto

Did you connect the pump to the CPU_fan header on your motherboard and is it set to 100% or auto

Yes i even enabled Turbo in The BIOS setting..............I'm just online and running at 38c?

I just ran a stress test......my highest core was at 71c? so thats alot better but isnt that still a little high? for a liquid cooler?

You're in the normal hi-end range now. What's the ambient temp in the room as well? For instance...the ambient (winter) temp in my PC room runs about 18-19C (sweaters/hoodies on all the time). I have a H50 in a CoolerMaster ATCS 840 and my core idle temps (i7 OC to 3.68) are 26-31C.

You're probably still a little hot...but much better than you were.

No, he's at a normal temp with 71c. My H50 w/ i7 930 was at 63c with yate loons in push/pull and no OC. The biggest and easiest things to improve cooling with the H50 are - Fans, lapping, where it's mounted and setting it up as intake.

No, he's at a normal temp with 71c. My H50 w/ i7 930 was at 63c with yate loons in push/pull and no OC. The biggest and easiest things to improve cooling with the H50 are - Fans, lapping, where it's mounted and setting it up as intake.

Ok so I shouldn be worrying.....and right now the temp in the house is 65f.....parents turn the heat down during the day........I want to put too 4 of these fans in my case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129055

Yep either mounted incorrectly or too much TIM used. I would follow djoye's advice but NOT a pea sized amount of TIM, a grain of rice is enough. Peas are huge.

Unless you use a massive strain of rice, a rice grain sized amount of TIM on a full size i7 heat spreader is NOT enough, under any circumstance. Pea size (around 5mm) is correct.

Unless you use a massive strain of rice, a rice grain sized amount of TIM on a full size i7 heat spreader is NOT enough, under any circumstance. Pea size (around 5mm) is correct.

I used like maybe a 3-4mm line of artice silver 5? not very thick

I used like maybe a 3-4mm line of artice silver 5? not very thick

The pea method works better than the line method simply because the ball will have a tendency to spread evenly in a circle, rather then with a line spreading in an oblong shape.

If you have already done it, it just will come down to your temps. The contact plate on the H50 is pretty rough, which doesn't help a whole lot either. My 920 is up to 4.2ghz @ 1.3V and I hit about 87*C after running Prime or LinX for an hour or more. Idle it usually hovers around 38 to 41. Im using IC-Diamond TIM with an H50. If I remember correctly my stock temps never went to high above mid 70s. My H50 is modified to use a small swiftech res, which probably helps my temps slightly. I've got a big order of sandpaper coming to me from Amazon to see if lapping that horrible bottom on the H50 makes any difference also, Ill let you know the results :D

The pea method works better than the line method simply because the ball will have a tendency to spread evenly in a circle, rather then with a line spreading in an oblong shape.

If you have already done it, it just will come down to your temps. The contact plate on the H50 is pretty rough, which doesn't help a whole lot either. My 920 is up to 4.2ghz @ 1.3V and I hit about 87*C after running Prime or LinX for an hour or more. Idle it usually hovers around 38 to 41. Im using IC-Diamond TIM with an H50. If I remember correctly my stock temps never went to high above mid 70s. My H50 is modified to use a small swiftech res, which probably helps my temps slightly. I've got a big order of sandpaper coming to me from Amazon to see if lapping that horrible bottom on the H50 makes any difference also, Ill let you know the results :D

ill take it apart and use the pea method and how did you modifed yours with a " small swiftech res"? I wanted to buy a bigger rad and put four 120mm fans on it lol with a small res too...

ill take it apart and use the pea method and how did you modifed yours with a " small swiftech res"? I wanted to buy a bigger rad and put four 120mm fans on it lol with a small res too...

This is a decent right up on basically the same thing as mine. For the most part I did it to get more hose on, as my case is more like a freight container than a case, and I was having some serious problems with being able to reach a decent spot for the radiator. I can take some pics in a bit to show you.

Also, if your going to re-do it, the method outlined earlier is the same method that got me the best results after a bunch of attempts to get a lower temperature. Apply a pea size amount (it does look like a lot, but just go for it, it works) I get the H50 in position while pulling back on the bracket to keep it high up so it doesn't goop around the tim the H50 too much, once I have it in position I slowly press down straight onto the CPU, once i reach a good pressure I gently twist back and forth just a little to work it down a bit. Then just tighten down the bracket and you should be golden.

Also, if your going to re-do it, the method outlined earlier is the same method that got me the best results after a bunch of attempts to get a lower temperature. Apply a pea size amount (it does look like a lot, but just go for it, it works) I get the H50 in position while pulling back on the bracket to keep it high up so it doesn't goop around the tim the H50 too much, once I have it in position I slowly press down straight onto the CPU, once i reach a good pressure I gently twist back and forth just a little to work it down a bit. Then just tighten down the bracket and you should be golden.

Ok, Ill do that ill get some help too last time i dropped the the rad on the mobo when i was unscrewing it...glad i didn't mess anything up but how much compound do i put down?

I'm sticking with my pea-sized blob. I've applied that amount and applied good pressure to the CPU before tightening and the thermal compound gets to the edges of the CPU but doesn't gush out and build up around the edges so I feel that it's a reasonable amount.

I'm sticking with my pea-sized blob. I've applied that amount and applied good pressure to the CPU before tightening and the thermal compound gets to the edges of the CPU but doesn't gush out and build up around the edges so I feel that it's a reasonable amount.

Ok, Ill do that now ill also take a pic of the inside and if you guys could give me any advice on what to change? If i need to change anything?

Ok, Ill do that now ill also take a pic of the inside and if you guys could give me any advice on what to change? If i need to change anything?

Sure can.

Heres a visual aid for you:

26.jpg

How do you upload pics on here? My normall temps are highest 39c lowest is 33c....

you will need to upload them to a picture host, like imageshack or etc. then use the image tags
to make them show up as a picture on the forum.

you will need to upload them to a picture host, like imageshack or etc. then use the image tags
to make them show up as a picture on the forum.

Um....not that smart confused me but ill give it a shot ig.....

Back