i7 920 enough for Mist of Pandaria?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I have my i7 920 at stock speeds. Will this be enough for Mists to play maxed out?

My video card is a evga 580 3gb and my resolution is 1920x1080. I have 12gigs of memory in tri channel on a gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev 1.0

Thanks guys. :)

I currently have a system running MoP with ultra settings on a stock i7 920, GTX 480 and 6gb of ram on a EVGA x58 Micro and a 1920 x 1200 monitor and absolutely no issues whatsoever. So you should be able to run without any issues barring an oversaturated battleground with a ton of mages and warlocks using AoE.

Last edited:
id be shocked if you had any issues. im still playing Wotlk...

cake for that system. I just loaded it up on an old amd 939 setup with a single core athalon 4000 and 8800gtx and it plays fine. On my x58 and i7 920 it absolutely rocks, I think you should do a slight overclock. You should be able to get 3.4ghz to 3.7ghz with only changing the buss speed. my evga x58 classified does 3.7ghz easily.

Nehalem is more than enough for WoW. And by more than enough I mean capable of feeding 60+ fps under any and all conditions in the game.

Will this be enough for Mists to play maxed out?

Will it be enough to play MoP? Of course.

Will it be enough to play MoP "Maxed out"? That's going to come down to your expectations more than anything.

I run a 2500K @ 5Ghz with 2x GTX680 in SLI and a 120Hz monitor. At 120hz with adaptive Vsync, it's pretty obvious when I dip below 120, and that actually happens pretty often. Any time I'm somewhere where I'm near a lot of other people, and many times when I have an unrestricted full view of the horizon, that will hit FPS fairly hard. Even with this setup there are still times when I dip below 60 even.

I recently upgraded from 2x 4870x2 Quad Crossfire to a GTX680, and then 2 in SLI, and saw almost no improvement in WoW (though WoW actually makes great use of both Crossfire and SLI). On the flip side, when I upgraded from my Q9650 @ 4.4Ghz to my 2500K @ 5Ghz, the difference was immediately obvious and significant. Similar to the first time I played the game on a Core 2 Duo after coming from a Pentium 4. My old Q9650 @ 4.4 was always about equivalent to a 1366 i7 at around ~3.6Ghz.

So while your CPU is “enough”, and quite frankly there are CPUs much slower than yours that are still “enough”, that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t still benefit from a CPU upgrade. Simply put, WoW hits the CPU harder than any other component. I’ve played the game for over 8 years and never regretted a CPU upgrade.

id be shocked if you had any issues. im still playing Wotlk...

Still playing Wotlk? That doesn't even really make sense. For the last two years you would have had no access to Cataclysm or MoP content, you would be stuck at level 80, and you'd basically have nothing to do.

The Intel® Core™ i7-920 should run MOP fine the real factor should be your video card.

Why would mist of gaydaria even make a difference? It is still the same wow graphics code as wotlk. Shouldn't make a difference.

Why would mist of gaydaria even make a difference? It is still the same wow graphics code as wotlk. Shouldn't make a difference.

Well, unless I'm mistaken, WoW is one game where CPU makes "kind of" a difference. But you are right, Mists of Pandaria is, even with updated graphics, still mostly the same WoW core so a i7-920 (which I am running too) is plenty enough.

The 920 will have no problems with WoW, I have mine sitting at a small OC of 3.4ghz (I like to leave speedstep on since these things are powerhungry enough as it is) and my cpu usage doesn't get challenged even remotely.

920 is more than enough for that game, you need not worry young padawan

between a intel 930 or a intel 3770k , both with decent memory you be hard pressed to find a difference in games . I use both daily with a gtx 670 ftw and actually my 930 runs the screen with bigger resolution , not a single difference . . . bigger cpu or for bigger codding , but in gaming with a same video card you be hard press to see more a difference that even 5 - 10 fps . . . your system will work that game like nothing with full settings

The pandas will be running fine on your rig. Good luck and may the force be with you panda bear style.

Over clock that CPU yo! Its what I was running before I sold my system (check my signature). ;)

I'm running an e7300 @3.2Ghz, and for the most part I do fine with everything on ultra. The only time I see FPS hit hard is when we're doing an outdoor raid boss. Haven't been able to test indoor raids yet, just came back to the game last week.

As for the guy still on WOTLK: Private servers are mostly still on that expansion, as Cata has proven buggy as all hell. That's actually what got me back into the game, as I had left towards the end of BC, was unemployed a few months back and didn't want to actually pay for a game I grew to hate over the years.

Also, Tangoseal: The graphics were improved for Cataclysm. It hit my system a LOT harder than WOTLK or prior did.

Still playing Wotlk? That doesn't even really make sense. For the last two years you would have had no access to Cataclysm or MoP content, you would be stuck at level 80, and you'd basically have nothing to do.

Eh, my guild still likes wotlk. my friend and I are also doing arenas with a couple different comps. our resto shaman / bm hunter just hit 2200 and we are also rolling a aff lock / boomkin which is also around 2200.

we also do some world pvp in wintergrasp farming fire elementals, hellfire pennisula, or STV. I just never got into cataclysm. part of me wants to go back to burning crusade or vanilla wow.

Probably because BC and vanilla were absolutely amazing. MC, BWL, original Naxx... Some of the best raids in the game. Add in Black Temple in BC and you had a great time.

Probably because BC and vanilla were absolutely amazing. MC, BWL, original Naxx... Some of the best raids in the game. Add in Black Temple in BC and you had a great time.

the highest raid i went to was molten core and didnt go often. I was mostly into PvP. I think the 40 man raids were insane, im really glad they dialed it back to 25. who has 2 hours to wait around for a raid to organize around 40 peoples schedules, wives, kids, jobs, etc.

i just feel like with the new expansions the game changed from "world of warcraft" to "instance of warcraft" I really liked world pvp, world raids, tauren mill / south shore, etc.

I like a lot of the core talents / abilities that have been added but i miss the original world. I had a lot of fun raiding kara too.

i just feel like with the new expansions the game changed from "world of warcraft" to "instance of warcraft" I really liked world pvp, world raids, tauren mill / south shore, etc.

That's really the crux of the matter. Instancing and cross-server LFG killed the sense of community, and the sense of participating in a world. The expansions have progressively taken WoW further and further into "themepark" territory.

No cpu will be 60+ fps on all occasions in wow. Not due to their poor performance but because of wows outdated engine and how it deals with cpus.
In some areas your fps might go below 40fps even though your gpu and cpu are at only %30 usage.

However still wow really needs a good performance per clock cpu. So overclocking will improve your performance. Tough the new ultra dx11 stuff needs a good gpu too.

So i advice mildly overclocking your cpu too.

Running mop on my amd phenom II running at stock speeds (3.4ghz) with a 560ti 448 core gpu. im averaging 80-100fps with everything maxed when running around doing quests and it dips to 40fps in raids with a bunch going on. Back before I had to sell my i7 [email protected] I was getting 250fps idling and 90-100fps in heavy raids with the same vid card

update: fired up wow on my acer lappy with a i7 620m (2.66ghz 3.33 turbo) with a amd hd5650M gpu and the frame rate was almost dead even with my desktop, idle frame rate was around 90fps but the rate in raids was around 55-60 fps. Seems the stronger cpu helped the min frame rate

Last edited:
A 920 is way more than enough for WoW, if you forgive the game for its inherent limitations. No CPU is going to perform adequately since the engine behaves like patchwork.

Back