i7 8700k +1080ti on silverstone 500w sfx-l?

So you've already spent a good deal on money on this rig, very nice specs and all, but what I don't get is the debate on spending a few more bucks to get this thing up and running completely worry-free. I wouldn't want to hear "should", or "might" be fine, I would want a definite "yes, no issues there"

When I build systems/upgrade components, I don't want any doubt in my mind that I'll have issues supplying the needed power. Cutting it close would worry me, and with a system I've sunk a good deal of money into, like yourself, that's the last thing I would want.

The other aspect is what's coming out in the future, or what else might be added to this setup that would actually tip the power draw over the edge? I think you're limiting your expand-ability as well to a certain degree.

IMO, upgrade to a 600W or 650W unit and have some peace-of-mind going forward.

So you've already spent a good deal on money on this rig, very nice specs and all, but what I don't get is the debate on spending a few more bucks to get this thing up and running completely worry-free. I wouldn't want to hear "should", or "might" be fine, I would want a definite "yes, no issues there"

When I build systems/upgrade components, I don't want any doubt in my mind that I'll have issues supplying the needed power. Cutting it close would worry me, and with a system I've sunk a good deal of money into, like yourself, that's the last thing I would want.

The other aspect is what's coming out in the future, or what else might be added to this setup that would actually tip the power draw over the edge? I think you're limiting your expand-ability as well to a certain degree.

IMO, upgrade to a 600W or 650W unit and have some peace-of-mind going forward.

he should have peace of mind as it is. What he needs to do now is OC the cpu and THEN check power draw. Also, BF1 I believe is going to utilize cpu more than other games, so thats a good test for real world power draw, but i recommend AIDA64 cpu stress test and furmark to get max draw.

he should have peace of mind as it is. What he needs to do now is OC the cpu and THEN check power draw. Also, BF1 I believe is going to utilize cpu more than other games, so thats a good test for real world power draw, but i recommend AIDA64 cpu stress test and furmark to get max draw.

Shoot, I missed the post where OP stated 410W at the wall with no OC on the 8700k, just on the Ti. I thought I read he was around 470-480W.

You are correct :)

OC and stress test then check voltage.

A PSU running close to the rated wattage willl wear out much quicker due to the stress. Especially since the 500W rating includes all supplementary rails, not just the 12V.
Just because the wall draw is not exceeding the rated wattage yet doesn't mean that individual rails aren't near specs already. It would be important to know if the PSU is a single rail or has multiple rails each with it's own rating.
Contrary to conventional wisdom a PSU is the most important part of a PC. It is responsible for supplying all the bits with proper stable voltage, so the PSU is the last thing you want to be a penny pincher about.

A PSU running close to the rated wattage willl wear out much quicker due to the stress. Especially since the 500W rating includes all supplementary rails, not just the 12V.
Just because the wall draw is not exceeding the rated wattage yet doesn't mean that individual rails aren't near specs already. It would be important to know if the PSU is a single rail or has multiple rails each with it's own rating.
Contrary to conventional wisdom a PSU is the most important part of a PC. It is responsible for supplying all the bits with proper stable voltage, so the PSU is the last thing you want to be a penny pincher about.

assuming his PSU is the silverstone SST-SX500-LG (the only 500w silverstone sfx power supply I could find on google), the specs are:
3.3v: 20A
5v: 20A
12v: 40A (single rail)
-12v:0.3A
5vsb: 3A

max 12v power: 480w.

Now, according to extreme outervision's online power supply calculator, his system should draw the following @ stock:

467w
3.3v: 12A
5v: 8.2A
12v:
36.3A

and the following @ 5.1Ghz/1.3v:

529w
3.3v: 12A
5v: 8.2A
12v: 41.5A

All above values were using the settings 100% TDP and 24/7 utilization, with 3 120mm fans, an ssd, and the kraken x61. It has not been mentioned if OP is running an ITX board or [M]ATX board, these values were for a desktop board. According to the calulator, an ITX board uses 29 fewer watts.

That being said, he will need to run his CPU and GPU stock to be within a safe range for his 500w PSU. If he has an ITX board, 436W is about the limit for what I would want to draw from a 500w PSU, but I still consider it at the high end of safe limits.

Yea i agree with sinister.

Me personally i want a good quality 750 watt. I tend to go over
board on PS though.

This. I was using a PC Power and Cooling 750 MK2 with no issues and now the Seasonic in my sig rig. I think 750 is the sweet spot , especially if you plan to OC

500 watts is cutting it too close IMO. It might work and we can do all the math to show, but when stability problems start to occur and threaten your system you're gonna wish you went to a more reasonable 600-650 PSU

Back