I7 870 Idle temps...

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

The idle temps on my I7-870 w/ stock cooler + AS5 seems to be rather high.

53535152.jpg

Shouldn't they be closer to lower 40s?

Well if I let the computer go into hibernate mode, the temps get to high 30s low 40s, but if I'm on the computer, even if I'm not doing anything its in the low 50s. Is this normal?

Core i7 CPUs put out a lot of heat and the Intel OEM cooler is barely adequate. Your temperatures confirm that and are not unusual for that cooler. You can try going into the Control Panel -> Power Options and set the Minimum processor state to a low number like 5% so the multiplier drops down at idle. That might shave a degree or two off of your idle temperatures but if you want a lower idle temperature, your best bet is to replace the original cooler with something decent. If you ever consider overclocking then this is a must.

Intel covers their retail CPUs for 3 years if you install their cooler so if you don't intend to overclock then you might as well leave it as is. The Thermal Status area in RealTemp will change from OK to LOG if your CPU ever triggers the thermal throttling mechanism. As long as it continues to say OK then that means it is running at full speed and not being slowed down by throttling. The thermal shutdown temperature isn't until approximately 125C.

The idle temps on my I7-870 w/ stock cooler + AS5 seems to be rather high.

53535152.jpg

Shouldn't they be closer to lower 40s?

That seems normal to me for a stock cooler. You seem to have C1E and speedstep off. That will also raise the temps a few degrees. In either case it really does not matter.

Edit: Okay I am not sure about the two >90C high temps. I have seen >80C on stock coolers but not >90C

The maximum temps were attained when I was running some benchmarks. Looks like I might be going with the 212+ cooler after all.

are you sure you didnt put too much AS5 on the die? Could be insulating rather than conducting...

I put about a "BB" sized amount in the center of the die, probably a little less than a "BB", then mounted the heat sink.

Seems high to me... I don't know what you should be getting with a I7-870, but with my I7-930 and stock cooler I am getting 43 40 43 42 jumps up and down about a degree as I watch it in real time at idle. The I7-930 might have a better stock cooler? I don't know. You should be fine unless you plan on overclocking. I had the 212 cooler and was getting low 30's but removed it due to the missing RAM issue I continue to get. So stock cooler it is for me until I overclock or get rid of this problem.

Yeah this is definitely a little high. My h50 keeps my i7 930 (4.2Ghz @ 1.42v) at 43c ish. Under a load gets to about 74c.

I think I might reapply the AS5 on it. My room temperature is probably in the low 20Cs, the MB is sitting at 28C while the CPU is 50C

I would check again the cooler, make sure it is mounted right...check air flow in the case

Stock cooler is really poor. I would do a reseat and a re-application of TIM and after the curing period for AS5 see if it's any better. If not and if it bothers you, you might want to look into aftermarket cooling solutions.

Buy a real heatsink lol. I use the Thermalright Silver Arrow with 3 fans. I idle around 80-90F when my room is around 70-75F. Roughly 33C

if you;re on a budget, grab the mugen 2, sometime, youll be able to catch a TRUE/MEGAHELMS for about 50...also, u can undervolt your i7 to try and decrease temps.

can also open case and blow a real house fan at it in the meantime

AND, i dont really know why people come into threads and talk about a COMPLETELY different heatsink while posting the temps. like, why? what's the point? it's irrelevant to the situation.

my i7 at 1.17 volts maxes out at around low 70's on a busted up Mugen 2.

Buy a real heatsink lol. I use the Thermalright Silver Arrow with 3 fans. I idle around 80-90F when my room is around 70-75F. Roughly 33C

I'm not sure such a large heatsink like that would clear my RAM modules on my motherboard. They are OCZ Reaper Edition 8GB and are rather tall. As I was thinking about picking up a Noctua NH-D14 and a third fan. However it doesn't justify the cost of performance over the CM 212+ even if it does fit. :eek:

The hyper 212 is such a good cooler for the price if you get it on sale. If you can't I'd throw in $10 extra and get the Scythe Mugen 2.

LINK
Open box

It's only $30 and I don't think the extra $10 will really make that big of a difference, not to mention I don't think it would fit. :(

if you;re on a budget, grab the mugen 2, sometime, youll be able to catch a TRUE/MEGAHELMS for about 50...also, u can undervolt your i7 to try and decrease temps.

can also open case and blow a real house fan at it in the meantime

AND, i dont really know why people come into threads and talk about a COMPLETELY different heatsink while posting the temps. like, why? what's the point? it's irrelevant to the situation.

my i7 at 1.17 volts maxes out at around low 70's on a busted up Mugen 2.

Opening the case and tossing a house fan, something I don't even own, really isn't a solution. :D I LOL'd though, just thinking of a box fan under my desk blowing directly on my computer. Talk about Ghetto. :eek:

I did decide to do some research on heatsinks though and came across this baby.

Spire Thermax Eclipse II

Seems it can be had for around ~$60 shipped too. According to Frostytech, it's the best cooler (in lowest temperature) available now. I just don't know if it will fit. :(

The maximum temps were attained when I was running some benchmarks. Looks like I might be going with the 212+ cooler after all.

Running a 212+ on an i5-760 clocked to 4 ghz with just the single fan that shipped with it. Running idle temps at 29c to 33c and hitting gaming loads at 47c to 53c.

I got mine for $15 bucks, so look around a bit, it's the biggest bank for the buck cooler around.

If your case can fit a Thermalright Silver Arrow, then it'll fit. Regarding the ram modules, I had to place the fans differently. One in the middle, and one near the rear exhaust. If I put the stock fan near the ram, it won't clear. However, I bought some 120mm fan brackets and I was able to mount 120mm fans on top of the ram modules just fine; just not the stock fans because they are much larger.

Well I went ahead and went with the CM Hyper 212+ CPU cooler. Hasn't even been half an hour since I've booted first time after installing with idle* temps.

newi870temps.jpg

*idle as in not stressing the CPU, just loaded Photoshop, firefox and all the normal programs that load when I start the computer.

Someone is going to give me a Delta 120mm, 150 CFM, 4k RPM fan that I can use as a second fan on this thing. My question now will be, should I make this fan the push or pull fan? I plan to probably put it on a fan controller, because a 4k RPM 120mm fan will probably be a little noisy.

Sitting at mid - high 20s now. Not sure what my ambient temp is, but it's pretty chilly in here.

So I got the Delta fan installed. It's 4k RPMs that moves 150 CFM, but it's on a fan controller that only gives it about 11.8v so it's probably not quite at that 4k RPM/150 CFM but I did play some BC2 on it for about 45 minutes. This is my report.

kickassp.jpg

It kept the processor cooler than what it used to idle at, during a full load (probably the most load I will give it until I start crunching images/video in Photoshop.)

Well the way I have the fans setup. The fan that was included with the heatsink is setup as the puller, the Delta fan is setup as the pusher. When I turn the delta fan all the way up, I really do not seem to notice a difference in temps at idle. Haven't done any testing under full load, but I'm wondering if it's actually doing any good or being held up by the slower fan not being able to "pull" the air way fast enough for the other fan to push it though.

Back