i7-8086k / Z370 Graphics Issues During Gaming

Xero717

Weaksauce
This is going to be a long one, so let me start with the specs.

Intel i7-8086k
Asus ROG Maximus X Apex
Corsair H115v2 AIO
G.Skill 32gb DDR4 3200 cl14 (16x2)
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Watt
HP 920X or Samsung 950 Pro SSD

So before I moved my GPU over to a new AMD 3700X rig, i was experiencing something similar to artifacting on the map screen in World of Warcraft. Three black squares, usually in a rectangular grid of 6, would show up on the screen occasionally for a second, and mainly in GPU heavy zones. Sometimes various elements of the UI would flicker as well.

For the longest I thought it was my GPU, until I did some testing on the system. I swapped the GPU with another GPU, I reformatted windows, I've used two different sets of RAM, and I've used two different hard drives, always with the same results.

The only thing I haven't changed in the system is the CPU, Motherboard, and PSU. I've checked the PSU with a tester and it seems great, and the system does not crash while this occurs. I've also used both GPUs in my AMD system and neither have this issue, so that rules them out (both pcs use the same Samsung TV as a display). The issue does seem to occur more often when any kind of oc'ing is involved, RAM or CPU wise (leading me to think its the processor).

So which component is it most likely to be? I really don't want to spend $200 to buy another intel cpu just to test a theory, but i'm kinda in the dark here. I also don't want to RMA the motherboard if ASUS won't be able to replicate the issue either. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
I would suspect the mb before the cpu. Anyone you can swap parts with by chance? Thats really all your left with if everything else checks out :(

I would suspect the mb before the cpu. Anyone you can swap parts with by chance? Thats really all your left with if everything else checks out :(

Nah, not many people who build pcs where I live, and the only local shop just laughed when I asked if they had a chip I could rent.

Back