i7-7700k delid + WC build

prime2515102

[H]ard|Gawd
Specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z270 KRAIT GAMING
CPU: Intel i7-7700k
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3200 CL14
GPU: ASUS 1060 6G
Cooling: Swiftech H140x + XSPC 420mm radiator + Bitspower reservoir (wasn't needed, but made for easier filling). Gelid GC-Extreme was used under the block.

Delidding:

Although it cost way too much because it isn't/wasn't available in the US at the time I bought it, I went with a Dr. Delid because it just seemed safer. When removing the lid there was no 'pop' sound at all; I didn't think it worked at first because of this, but it did.

Aside from a different delidder and using 18 gauge plastic tips for the syringe to apply the sealer, I followed Kyle's deliding video.

My phone cam sucks so some pics are blurry and shitty, but here we go...

Here it is in the Dr. Delid ready to go...
Dr. Delid - Copy.jpg

And the lid twisted off...
popped - Copy.jpg
Lid removed - Copy.jpg

Taped off and ready for the Liquid Pro...
taped off - Copy.jpg

Liquid Pro applied...
liquid pro applied - Copy.jpg

Re-lidded and clamped. I had these little copper shims laying around so I used one to distribute the force a bit. At first, I was a little annoyed that the thumbscrew clamp is made of plastic, but in hind sight I'm glad it is because if it was metal I could see easily crushing the die (I'm pretty sure this would strip before it would crush the die).
clamped - Copy.jpg

And the finished product. It looks sloppy, but it served its purpose (it was much neater before the squeeze out).
finished - Copy.jpg

My temps dropped in the 15-17C range (couldn't do a direct comparison because a different cooler was used after the delid).

Results (AVX offset set to 0):

Linx.jpg

I'll post pics of the WC setup soon...

P.S. The load Realtemp is showing is BS, it was 100%.

Last edited:
I decided I'm not going to bother with pics of the setup because this case (Lian-Li PC-D600) is deceptively cramped and I can't do shit for cable management. It looks like total crap. Plus, what with this being my first custom water loop, I was short sighted and came >THIS< close to having one of the tubes prevent installation of the GPU. Lesson learned.

But anyway, here's the results after 9 hours of Prime95:
Prime95 9 hours - Copy.jpg

All I did was set the divider, changed voltage to 1.3V, dynamic+offset (with offset set to +0.02). Everything else is set to auto.

I'm not sure what happened with that 65C peak, but it remained stable.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able get a higher clock so I'll update with that later if anybody is interested. lol

Last edited:
Back