i7-6800K New Sealed or R5 2600X ?

mothman

Supreme [H]ardness
Slight quandry. The Microcenter in my area has a 'Newly discovered' i7-6800K that's brand new and sealed for $230. I have the X99 gear to use it and the lore of the last 'soldered' intel enthusiast chips has me ready to pounce. I also want to build a Ryzen 5 2600k rig.
I know the 2600x outpaces the 6800K in many ways for about the same money, but I just love the looks of the Broadwell chips. Just wanted to see if logic would win over lust for you guys.

That's a hard decision for me. Let me explain.

The 2600x is only 3% faster at stock speeds over the 6800k

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6800K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/3607vs3956

I'm going to say I'm pretty sure the 6800k will run at 4.5 to 4.7ghz with good AIO water cooling. That's going to beat the 2600x, possibly even in productivity. This is even if you manage to get a decent overclock out of the AMD chip. I'm going to guess at least 15% faster. That's a pretty large number in performance.

Another thing going for the 6800k is the quad channel memory vs the dual channel memory of the AMD.

But, with that said, I do not like that the 6800k is 2 years old.

If you have a x99 board and 4 sticks of memory that quad channel memory takes and you're comfortable / proficient at overclocking ( it's rather easy on the 6800K ) then I would go with the 6800K. You're going to come out ahead performance wise.

If re-saleability is important to you as, a lot of guys get rid and or upgrade their systems after 1 to 1.5 years when there system still has value then maybe just go with the 2700x.

If you're not going to overclock the 6800k then spend the extra small bit of cash and get the 2700x.

Slight quandry. The Microcenter in my area has a 'Newly discovered' i7-6800K that's brand new and sealed for $230. I have the X99 gear to use it and the lore of the last 'soldered' intel enthusiast chips has me ready to pounce. I also want to build a Ryzen 5 2600k rig.
I know the 2600x outpaces the 6800K in many ways for about the same money, but I just love the looks of the Broadwell chips. Just wanted to see if logic would win over lust for you guys.
I'm going to say I'm pretty sure the 6800k will run at 4.5 to 4.7ghz with good AIO water cooling. That's going to beat the 2600x, possibly even in productivity. This is even if you manage to get a decent overclock out of the AMD chip. I'm going to guess at least 15% faster. That's a pretty large number in performance.
As a 6800K owner beware!

They generally clock like absolute garbage for Intel chips. They actually clock exactly like Ryzen 2000 series. Expect 4.2ghz on a good chip. 4.3ghz on a great chip. 4.4ghz potentially at very high vcore. (The Haswell X99 chips clocked much better than their broadwell replacements)

Mine only likes to run stable at 4.1ghz. Around 1.36 vcore. So not great. [email protected] vcore isn't stable.

The 6800K is basicly the worst Intel chip buy in a long time IMO. Its Integrated Memory controller sucks as well. Ryzen frankly has better DDR4 OC support then X99 and broadwell. Don't expect DDR4 to work above 3200mhz, 3400mhz max.

IPC between broadwell and Ryzen 2000 is quite similar once you give the Ryzen chip 3200mhz cl14 DDR4. I'd argue Ryzen outpaces broadwell when properly tweaked.

This thread talks about 2600X IPC.

In that thread, I compared the Cinebench R15 single threaded IPC of a 6950X and a Ryzen 2600X that someone posted in the thread.

[email protected]: 181
[email protected]: 184

Plus the 2600X is $190 at Microcenter so I'd say save $40 and then bundle with a quality X470 motherboard and get the $30 motherboard discount.

Last edited:
Yep, Broadwell-E and Haswell-E are both pretty low clocking chips in general. 4.2-4.4 is about all you'll get.

if you go with the 6800k you are already buying an outdated platform with no upgrade path (par for the course for Intel)

With the AMD, you are guaranteed a few years on AM4. You could get the 2600X and then upgrade to the 3600X or 4600X (or whatever they will be called.
The AMD will be more power efficient overall and about the same speed if you OC the 6800k. (Stock vs Stock the 2600X will be faster)

However, the 6800k is a "HEDT" chip, so you get 4 Channels for RAM, more PCIe lanes (I think).
If you already have a X99 board then that might be the cheaper option. (I would personally go with whats cheaper)
The only problem is your upgrade path.......up to a 6950x. (not too bad, just old)

If they end up being around the same price...It's the Ryzen, no brainer.

I would probably find a used X99 CPU to put in the Mobo still, would hate to see it go to waste....

Last edited:
I doubt there'd be much profit in buying a 6800K for $230.00 + tax and trying to sell it later on.

The 2600X is the better performing CPU out of the box, uses less power, and runs on a newer platform. I'd go with the 2600X.

Back