i7-6700K $259 At Microcenter !

It could have been someone who owned a system with that socket and went and bought the top of the line and decided they didn't see enough difference from what they had before and returned it.

Or like you said someone may have worked it good to see what it could do or maybe even done a review and returned it.

Retail returns on CPU tends to get abused by overclockers binning cpus and gpus. It could be a random return but these things carry 15 day returns so one has to actually be vary aware of the window. In my experience it could take weeks to know if something is broke in a new system, but binning takes hours. The point is to be aware and don't expect to find gold just in case.

Last edited:
The way some people talk about Skylake, you'd think it's the second coming.
Same folks talk about Sandybridge like it's a f*cking Zilog Z80.

SandyBridge is a legend:);) 5GHz was doable but not that common. Nobody is going to remember Skylake. Whoe the f... came out with this name? Sounds like a Bond movie. I wish people stopped posting grandeur statements about hardware.
Sometimes I wish I could move back to Chicago from S. Florida...

I assume you're being sarcastic. Taxes and other government fees would rape you so hard that upgrading to the latest hardware would be your least concern. The deal is just ok since sales tax is almost 9% in NY. Better deal can be found online if one is patient enough.

Must wait for 7600K and union point, must wait for 7600K and union point.... must wait....

BTW, does the newer bios for ASrock boards still allow o/c of non-K skylake cpus?

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I'd be willing to purchase any of the cpus from Microcenter and ship it to for the cost of the cpu plus 7.5%(sales tax)

SandyBridge is a legend:);) 5GHz was doable but not that common. Nobody is going to remember Skylake. Whoe the f... came out with this name? Sounds like a Bond movie. I wish people stopped posting grandeur statements about hardware.

I assume you're being sarcastic. Taxes and other government fees would rape you so hard that upgrading to the latest hardware would be your least concern. The deal is just ok since sales tax is almost 9% in NY. Better deal can be found online if one is patient enough.
I'll a good old fashioned tax-raping to live in the city with the best food and culture on earth

Agreed sandybridghe and nvidias 8800gt will go down in history of pc hardware

I miss my ole 2600k. I had they thing up to 5.4ghz benching. Damn those were the days, liek that episode of Seinfeld when Kramer just kept going an going on that empty tank pf gas.

I'll a good old fashioned tax-raping to live in the city with the best food and culture on earth

As a native New Yorker, there is a ton of variety (and a lot of quality to be had) in food, and that goes hand-in-hand with all the various folks/cultures that have made NYC home, for sure.

That having been said, the cost of living is astronomical compared to most cities in the US (with the notable exception of San Francisco), mostly due to housing costs. Also, the salaries (while generally higher than most parts of the US, as compensation), aren't, from a proportional/percentage perspective, matched to the COI.

There's a reason why if most young urban professionals are in a decent ($50k-80k salaried) job, they are living in:
  • Small apartments in the outer boroughs (Manhattan/large parts of Western Brooklyn [close to Manhattan]) is just ridiculously expensive, and seemingly requires an $100k - 300k salary just to feel like you are "middle/lower-middle" class, compared to the rest of the US).
  • With friends/family (and this is getting more and more common as the COI has increased dramatically over the last 10 years in NYC)
  • Rented rooms and having roommates, and even bunkmates (this is very common amongst young women, especially). Rent is split amongst the roommates/bunkmates, with size of room/amenities (like personal bathroom) accounted for in the cost divide.
Want to live by yourself in a pad near, say, NYU/Washington Square/Tribeca/Soho? Better have a TON, and I mean a METRIC TON of greenbacks (which, by the way, would save you a considerable amount over taking out a mortgage; cash is KING here in NYC).

Have fun!

:D

Last edited:
See, Amazon contacted me about applying for a web dev job, but I'd most likely be working in Seattle Washington. No matter how much better the pay is, I feel like here in GA the home prices and such are so much cheaper that I'm better off not moving. I own a nice little single family home here, for a mortgage that wouldn't even rent a crappy apartment in some of those bigger cities. It's just crazy.

As a native New Yorker, there is a ton of variety (and a lot of quality to be had) in food, and that goes hand-in-hand with all the various folks/cultures that have made NYC home, for sure.

That having been said, the cost of living is astronomical compared to most cities in the US (with the notable exception of San Francisco), mostly due to housing costs. Also, the salaries (while generally higher than most parts of the US, as compensation), aren't, from a proportional/percentage perspective, matched to the COI.

There's a reason why if most young urban professionals are in a decent ($50k-80k salaried) job, they are living in:
  • Small apartments in the outer boroughs (Manhattan/large parts of Western Brooklyn [close to Manhattan]) is just ridiculously expensive, and seemingly requires an $100k - 300k salary just to feel like you are "middle/lower-middle" class, compared to the rest of the US).
  • With friends/family (and this is getting more and more common as the COI has increased dramatically over the last 10 years in NYC)
  • Rented rooms and having roommates, and even bunkmates (this is very common amongst young women, especially). Rent is split amongst the roommates/bunkmates, with size of room/amenities (like personal bathroom) accounted for in the cost divide.
Want to live by yourself in a pad near, say, NYU/Washington Square/Tribeca/Soho? Better have a TON, and I mean a METRIC TON of greenbacks (which, by the way, would save you a considerable amount over taking out a mortgage; cash is KING here in NYC).

Have fun!

That's why I live out in East Islip and take the LIRR everyday to the city. :cry:

That's why I live out in East Islip and take the LIRR everyday to the city. :cry:

How much is your LIRR monthly?:confused: I lived right across from Microcenter in Yonkers until November 2014. As much as I liked Westchester County they money we were paying to live there... hahaha I can buy 60 of those 6700k with the money I'm saving on property taxes.

p.s. I know Islip, it's the place we used to pass on our way to Southampton and Quogue.;)

I see you're still rocking 3007wfp. I had three but had to downsize when moving. What a great monitor.

Have fun!

But... Italian beef sandwiches and deep-dish pizza!

But... Italian beef sandwiches and deep-dish pizza!

Now now, isn't that more Chicago cuisine? I was introduced to both by one of my cousins when I visited Chicago, who swears by this joint where they dip the Italian beef into some kind of fryer -- a cheery, greasy (and very tasty) mess. Chicago-style "deep dish" pizza was nice; different, but nice.
At the risk of antagonizing fellow natives, I definitely preferred the Chicago hot dogs (w/sport peppers & other condiments) over the NYC dirty-water dogs. Billy Goat's (home of the Cheeburger from SNL fame) was a great hole-in-the-wall experience (and the burgers were as good as can be).

How much is your LIRR monthly?:confused: I lived right across from Microcenter in Yonkers until November 2014. As much as I liked Westchester County they money we were paying to live there... hahaha I can buy 60 of those 6700k with the money I'm saving on property taxes.

p.s. I know Islip, it's the place we used to pass on our way to Southampton and Quogue.;)

That's practically the only benefit of living in NYC -- avoiding the ghastly taxes in Westchester County (north of NYC), as well as Nassau/Suffolk Counties in Long Island (east of NYC). $20,000 - $40,000 per year in taxes, for a middle to upper middle class home? Crazy! (My aunt & uncle live in Pleasantville [Westchester County], and always complain about their tax bill (something like $34k, I believe).

Now now, isn't that more Chicago cuisine? I was introduced to both by one of my cousins when I visited Chicago, who swears by this joint where they dip the Italian beef into some kind of fryer -- a cheery, greasy (and very tasty) mess. Chicago-style "deep dish" pizza was nice; different, but nice.
At the risk of antagonizing fellow natives, I definitely preferred the Chicago hot dogs (w/sport peppers & other condiments) over the NYC dirty-water dogs. Billy Goat's (home of the Cheeburger from SNL fame) was a great hole-in-the-wall experience (and the burgers were as good as can be).
I was talking about Chicago!

And don't put cheese on an Italian Beef! :O

That's practically the only benefit of living in NYC -- avoiding the ghastly taxes in Westchester County (north of NYC), as well as Nassau/Suffolk Counties in Long Island (east of NYC). $20,000 - $40,000 per year in taxes, for a middle to upper middle class home? Crazy! (My aunt & uncle live in Pleasantville [Westchester County], and always complain about their tax bill (something like $34k, I believe).

in Yonkers it's about 10k upwards but the schools can compete with those in Mogadishu. If you want to live in Bronxville, Scarsdale, Chappaqua and all those places - liberal paradise and by no means I'm a conservative then, yea, people pay insanse amount of taxes. There's so much old money in Westchester that a lot of people literally shit diamonds and gold. The real fancy and secluded place full of wealthy people is Pound Ridge but they want it to keep it this way. Westchester was a fairly affordable place before the prices of real estate went through that roof thanks to cheap credit courtesy of Bill Clinton and George Bush.

In NYC you have to pay city tax that is almost 4 % so it adds up along with state taxes. I got tired of commuting to Midtown and left NY. I even stopped going to Microcenter at some point.

Iching, the (rough) breakdown I heard for Westchester County went something like this:

• Bronxville - Last Stand of the (Mohican) old-money WASPS (and old money Catholics, over the last 30 years or so). Housing attitudes are straight out of the 1950s
  • Pelham, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, New Rochelle - WASPy with some good variety (mostly in Mamaroneck). New Rochelle can be sketchy in some areas
  • Scarsdale, Chappaqua - new money playing the role of respectable old money (will probably be old money in another 50 years or so, but probably not truly WASP old money) -- Chappaqua being more genteel than cutthroat Scarsdale (more genteel as in, ego is hidden inside, but definitely there). Home of the Bill & Hillary Show. Note: Scarsdale's tennis team still can't beat Horace Mann's
  • Pleasantville, Briarcliff Manor - pleasant, upper-middle to upper areas with a pretty diverse range of residents (who want to avoid the cutthroat culture of Scarsdale/Chappaqua)
  • White Plains - the only true city in Westchester County, with good, bad and everything in-between areas
  • Yonkers - Some decent parts, but a large number of sketchy parts as well
  • River Towns - most liberal part of Westchester County, by far; roads can be quite hilly and annoying to park on (manual brakes are a must). A certain M. Zuckerberg was raised around here
  • Eastchester - large Italian enclave, with some Irish as well (Irish are mostly around McLean Ave) -- Iona Prep is king there
  • Yorktown Heights/Mohegan Lake - weird vibe, with a odd mix of natives/old-timers mixed in with a ton of new, brash, insecure folks (over the last 15 years); many of them outpriced from other parts of Westchester County, but still bragging about their relative affluence/connections
  • Armonk - Nouveau Riche central (aka Flash Cash), and even less cultured than the "civilized barbarians" in Scarsdale/Chappaqua. Pretentiousness is KING and QUEEN here (especially the latter)
  • Pound Ridge - best blend of old money with those who aspire to such (and, at least, have the trappings of civilization, and respect that in others) Go Giants! (Steelers?)
  • Rye/Rye Brook - boating/golf/tennis clubs, and the people who are members of such. Kinda WASPy, but kinda not WASPy as well
  • Ossining - you sure you want to live here? Ok, it's your 911 call ...
  • Mount Vernon - buy a body bag for yourself (still, a noteworthy Brazilian expat group is around here). Also contains a nice, small niche area which is well-maintained and quite pretty
  • Peekskill - bad area, now being gentrified (somewhat) by Brooklyn retirees/expats (whatever that means)
  • Pocantico Hills - Is there oil in your background?

All the above is anecdotal evidence from friends and family, as well as some personal experience.

Last edited:
Back