i7 5930k over clock tips and help please

Hello guys!

I recently finished my build and after purchasing a new cpu cooler I started to overclock. I am new to this thing and I need some tips. First of all I read some forums and watch some videos about overclocking.

I will begin by telling you what i've done so far and what were my results both on stock and oc testing, and than I eill a dress you my questions.

I started a aida64 stress test for stock cpu just to see how the voltage goes, where are the max Temps and things like that. I ran aida64 for 1hour and the results were:

-ambient temp: 26.4°C
-max frequency 3700mhz
-max voltage 1.007
-max temp 52°C
-tested under cpu cooler Cryorig r1 ultimate 80%fan speed.

After I saved those results I restarted the pc, hit bios and changed the multiplier to 42 and cpu voltage to 1.1. I saved the changes, pc started without no problem and after one hour of aida64 without a single crash or fail the results where:

-ambient temp: 26.9°C
-cpu frequency: 4.200mhz
-cpu voltage: 1.104v
-max temp: 58°C
-tested under cpu cooler Cryorig r1 ultimate 100%fan speed.

Now, what should I understand out of these results? I have some questions in my mind and I will really apreciate if you can answer them
biggrin.gif

1. The voltage is too low?
2. How do I find the "ideal voltage". As long as it was stable under those settings after oc, should I change something? Should I push voltage to 1.15 just to make sure it won't crash in a prolonged cpu load session?
3. Are those good Temps?
4. What stress test software should I use, other than aida64?

PC specs:
-mobo: Asus x99-s
-cpu: i7 5930k
-ram: corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz 32gb
-psu: season g series 750W

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

Your temps look really good. the voltage is alright. You try to get your cpu stable with the least amount of voltage which you have done. Do you play games or what are you using the computer for? Any temps under 70 for the 5930k is ok under load. Try the intel burn in stress test. Run it on extreme and see if it passes.

That is quite good I'd say. I regret getting the 6800k over the 5820k as mine can only hit 4ghz with 1.3 vcore. 4.1ghz is very unstable even with 1.4.

I'd say you could definitely raise your vcore to 1.3 without worrying though of course a lower vcore never hurts. You will just be able to overclock higher with a larger vcore.

Once you find a vcore you are happy with you can always raise it a bit if you ever enounter any instability later down the line.

Hello,

Your temps look really good. the voltage is alright. You try to get your cpu stable with the least amount of voltage which you have done. Do you play games or what are you using the computer for? Any temps under 70 for the 5930k is ok under load. Try the intel burn in stress test. Run it on extreme and see if it passes.

I use my pc mainly for architectural design, 3d modeling and video rendering and content creation. I use softwares like 3dsmax, revit, archicad, photoshop, after effects etc.

I tested some games like far cry primal before and alter oc and the boost was bearly noticeable: 3-5 fps, also the temperature in far cry raised from 40°C to 43-44°C and the idle temps from 24-26 to 29-30 which I find very negligible. I mainly overclocked for working, not gaming, as this cpu can really face almost any game on stock.

Also that cpu cooler is a beast. I had a h100i gtx before but I never saw those temps on it before maybe in the winter I could hit 28 on idle, but never saw 24, also on full load peaking 62 compared to 50..I am glad the pump died xD

Sorry for my bad English ^^

That is quite good I'd say. I regret getting the 6800k over the 5820k as mine can only hit 4ghz with 1.3 vcore. 4.1ghz is very unstable even with 1.4.

I'd say you could definitely raise your vcore to 1.3 without worrying though of course a lower vcore never hurts. You will just be able to overclock higher with a larger vcore.

Once you find a vcore you are happy with you can always raise it a bit if you ever enounter any instability later down the line.

I am so sorry to hear that, you've been a bit unlucky with that chip. AFAIK, brodwell-e doesn't overclock as good as the haswell did, but still, 1.4v at 4.1ghz seems a bit weird. .I mean the voltage looks so damn high to me, considering the fact that I hit 4.2ghz with only 1.1v and I will go for 1.125 or 1.15 for stability purposes.

I am so sorry to hear that, you've been a bit unlucky with that chip. AFAIK, brodwell-e doesn't overclock as good as the haswell did, but still, 1.4v at 4.1ghz seems a bit weird. .I mean the voltage looks so damn high to me, considering the fact that I hit 4.2ghz with only 1.1v and I will go for 1.125 or 1.15 for stability purposes.
You got lucky with that chip, my trusty 3930k needed 1.375v to hit 4.5 stable, I'm not sure it got over stock clocks at 1.1v

You've got a good chip. It takes 1.3vcore to get my 5820k at 4.3ghz. My ambient temp is 26.6c in this hot socal weather and my load temp on prime95 26.6 hit a max of 84c after 2 hours, however, I usually see it however under 70c.

Hmmm...bummer.
Mine is now at 4 running 1.226V-stable.
Going to start dropping voltage to see what I can get away with.

Back