i7 5930K batch # significance ?

jblue42

Limp Gawd
Has there been any reports of certain batches being better than others?

Microcenter near me has a few "costa rica" chips with Batch # 34xxxxxx
and a lot more chips with "malaysia" with Batch # L4xxxxxx

The number you see on the box and the heat spreader is the assembly lot number. You can have 2 chips fabbed months apart from each other be in the same batch that gets assembled and shipped out.

Costa Rica and Malaysia also aren't where any fabs are. They're just assembly sites, and I think the Costa Rica one is shut down now. The 5930k is fabbed in Israel.

Serial number is the most important number, really, but unless you're an Intel employee it's worthless info.

Last edited:
Ah ok, a couple of the guys at microcenter said they heard the Costa Rica chips theoretically were better for overclocking, but perhaps they just wanted to move the older chips :rolleyes:

I can't really seem to find any information either way, just curious if there was any merit to their claims

Ah ok, a couple of the guys at microcenter said they heard the Costa Rica chips theoretically were better for overclocking, but perhaps they just wanted to move the older chips :rolleyes:

I can't really seem to find any information either way, just curious if there was any merit to their claims

You could theoretically find "hot streaks" of chips on a shelf that came from the same part of a wafer, but a batch is well north of 10k chips spread out over hundreds of wafers.

Here is you solution:
www.siliconlottery.com

These guys test each CPU individually and resell them at a price that is related to the overclocking potential. In other words, you pay a price premium to eliminate the uncertainty factor.

Here is you solution:
www.siliconlottery.com

These guys test each CPU individually and resell them at a price that is related to the overclocking potential. In other words, you pay a price premium to eliminate the uncertainty factor.

This seems like a scam. The pricing that would be required to turn a profit on self-binning chips would be way beyond what most people would pay. You would have to go through probably 10 5960x's to find one that can do 4.7ghz, and reselling 9 of them you're taking a $200 loss. So $2800 would be the fair price to break even, but they're only asking $1200?

Maybe they're Intel employees looking at test data and profiting from it (huge no-no), but even at that just because a few die parametrics are good you can't easily correlate that to "this chip will run at X ghz"

maybe they scam the website or place they bought them from and return all the chips that don't overclock well..

You could theoretically find "hot streaks" of chips on a shelf that came from the same part of a wafer, but a batch is well north of 10k chips spread out over hundreds of wafers.

And how could I go about doing this? ;)

This seems like a scam. The pricing that would be required to turn a profit on self-binning chips would be way beyond what most people would pay. You would have to go through probably 10 5960x's to find one that can do 4.7ghz, and reselling 9 of them you're taking a $200 loss. So $2800 would be the fair price to break even, but they're only asking $1200?

Before accusing anybody of scamming, I would suggest to perform some research fist and provide evidence.
Anyway, these guys are legit according to Guru3D.com .
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/core-i7-4790k-processor-5-ghz-review-a-silicon-lottery,1.html

Last edited:
Before accusing anybody of scamming, I would suggest to perform some research fist and provide evidence.
Anyway, these guys are legit according to Guru3D.com .
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/core-i7-4790k-processor-5-ghz-review-a-silicon-lottery,1.html

I know what a 5960X is capable of and I know what they sell for on the used market. Asus themselves sampled hundreds of them and found that > 4.6 Ghz is pretty rare, certainly more rare than a 50% shot that would be the minimum to turn a profit taking a $200 loss on one and selling the other for $1200.

[redacted]

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=395423&page=2

this thread the guy seems to indicate he's breaking even.

Last edited:
Back