i7-4930k to E5 1680 v2 upgrade, no boot

MCup

n00b
I've been a (happy) X79 user since, I believe, 2012 with the 3820, which I upgraded to a 4930k about four years ago. Still love this platform. Decided to step up again with a 1680 v2 after discovering this whole thing recently (from this and other threads talking about this Xeon), and wanted to join the club. Bought a used one off 'the bay' and dropped it in, but no joy. Nothing comes on. Well, the CPU and case fans come on, but nothing shows up on my screen. The graphics card (GTX 970) fans spin up but go back off when I power on, so I guess it's maaaaybe possible the thing is booting but just the graphics card isn't coming on so I don't see anything? Really doubting that's the case, though and I'm not aware of a simple way to check...

Anyway was wondering if anyone had any ideas what may be going on here. I put the 4930k back in just to check and it still boots (I'm on it right now). It has nothing to do with any cables coming undone or anything like that, I made sure to unplug nothing (and again the 4930k works after just putting it back in). I also made sure to reset CMOS before trying the xeon chip. I'm wondering if the chip just isn't compatible with, or if some other component is just causing an issue somehow. Here's what I have:

Asrock x79 Extreme-4m
Patriot Viper 3 DDR3 PC3-12800 4x 8GB
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk2 750W PSU
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX
and 3 SSDs

Definitely try the latest bios. According to the CPU support page, your board has very limited Ivy Bridge E/EP support, and frankly I think it's weird that they support some 4600v2 series, but none of the 1600v2s.

BUT Good news: If your chip still doesn't work, the E5 4627v2 is supported. 8 cores, 3.3GHz (3.5 all core), only 16MB L3 cache, though, compared to the 1680v2's 25, but it is an option. The bonus is that I found two on Ebay for less than $70.

Latest BIOS?
Definitely try the latest bios. According to the CPU support page, your board has very limited Ivy Bridge E/EP support, and frankly I think it's weird that they support some 4600v2 series, but none of the 1600v2s.

BUT Good news: If your chip still doesn't work, the E5 4627v2 is supported. 8 cores, 3.3GHz (3.5 all core), only 16MB L3 cache, though, compared to the 1680v2's 25, but it is an option. The bonus is that I found two on Ebay for less than $70.

I did see that the official support page doesn't list this CPU, but if you look, they say NONE of the Asrock Extreme x79 line supports it. And I've definitely seen people across the net at a few places saying they had it running on various boards in that line, including the Extreme4 (might've even been the 4-m, can't remember).

I was 99% certain I already had the latest BIOS version, but checked and discovered that there is a beta version that's more recent, so I updated and... nothing. Same result. Right now I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the vcore setting not being adequate. When I reset cmos with the button on the mobo it reverts to an 'auto' setting for vcore. I'm going to try setting it to fixed and giving a bit higher voltage than I use with the 4930k since I always seem to see people saying it needs a little more juice.

I did see that the official support page doesn't list this CPU, but if you look, they say NONE of the Asrock Extreme x79 line supports it. And I've definitely seen people across the net at a few places saying they had it running on various boards in that line, including the Extreme4 (might've even been the 4-m, can't remember).

I was 99% certain I already had the latest BIOS version, but checked and discovered that there is a beta version that's more recent, so I updated and... nothing. Same result. Right now I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the vcore setting not being adequate. When I reset cmos with the button on the mobo it reverts to an 'auto' setting for vcore. I'm going to try setting it to fixed and giving a bit higher voltage than I use with the 4930k since I always seem to see people saying it needs a little more juice.
Did you ever get this fixed? I know you posted on at least another forum, but I'm curious to hear what you found.

Back