i7-4790K temp and programs. Who to believe?

MGCJerry

Limp Gawd
I just installed my new i7 4790K CPU onto my Gigabyte z97 board and found the temps high (as expected). Probably why they're "Devil's Canyon", as hot as his buttcrack after a Taco Bell binge.

Anyway. I do have a liquid cooler (Apogee II) that is currently awaiting parts so for now I'm on the stock cooler (boo hiss boo, I know). I've ran into BIOS and changed a large list of settings, mainly the Core voltage. Using CoreTemp 1.0 RC6 and managed to get the temps to 30-33C idle (down from the mid 50s). No side panel is installed, and there are 3 fans right now. Room temperature is about 22C. I have also installed Gigabyte's monitoring application (SIV) and its showing me different CPU temperature (about 8C lower than CoreTemp). I've also installed the Intel processor diagnostic tool and let it complete its tests. It tells me I'm 45C below maximum temperature after the test, but never tells me the temperature as it runs. Cool. I can deal with that if I'm that far under the maximum. Now given the variations in monitoring programs, who should I believe? The numbers from CoreTemp & SIV are scary when running BOINC especially before "undervolting" the core voltage (80+C in CoreTemp).

I see there is a beta update for my board, but I'm extremely hesitant to install a beta bios even if the board does have 2 bios chips.

CPU: i7-4790K
Code: BX80646174790K
Batch: X439B539

Other thoughts?

What is the cpu default voltage at on your gigabyte board? Even with the OEM cooler it shouldn't be real hot at idle and normal tasks.

Everything ran overnight fine with no problems with the lower voltage settings. Default was 1.2v.

I did a test earlier after resetting EVERYTHING in bios back to defaults and wanted to try the Intel diagnostic application on default settings. My "overheat" alarm in bios was set to 80C, and it was screaming half way through the Intel Processor Diagnostics application. All the while CoreTemp was showing mid 80s to mid 90s. When the test completed the Intel app gave me a "PASS" rating and told me I was 26 degrees below maximum. I ran it again because I thought it took a temp reading before the stress test, and i told me I was 56 degrees below maximum. I'm inclined to believe this Intel app is correct and that my bios CPU temp is reading really high. I'll contact Gigabyte and see what they say.

Edited
Apparently when running BOINC at stock setttings, it causes the temperature to shoot way past what the Intel application can do, and it said I reached within 3 degrees of maximum temperature. I'm going to go back to lower voltage.! I cant afford to fry the processor as I could barely afford it anyway I cant chance frying it.

Here is my outputs of the test being run while typing this post.
CoreTemp (when test was nearly complete)
CoreTemp-Scr.png

Output from Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit 2.20.0.0.W.MP-1
I deleted test results for tests that were disabled.
Output Log said:
---------------------------
--- Testing Processor 1 ---
---------------------------

--- IPDT64 - rev 2.20.0.0.W.MP ---

--- Start Time: 04/22/2015 20:21:20---

--- Skipping Config ---

--- Reading CPU Manufacturer ---

Expected --> GenuineIntel
Detected --> GenuineIntel
Found --- Genuine Intel Processor ---

--- Temperature Test ---

Temperature Test Passed!!!

Temperature = 65 degrees C below maximum.

--- Reading Brand String ---

Detected Brand String:
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz

Brand String Test Passed!!!

--- Reading CPU Frequency ---

Expected CPU Frequency is --> 4.00

Detected CPU Frequency is --> 4.40037

CPU Frequency Test Passed!!!

Expected frequency - The highest frequency at which the tested processor was manufactured to operate
Detected frequency - The frequency at which the tested processor is currently operating
Power management modes can create marginally higher or lower detected frequency
than expected frequency. Small variations in clock frequencies are common.

--- CPU Load ---

--- Load Level = 8

CPU Load Passed!!!

--- Temperature Test ---

Temperature Test Passed!!!

Temperature = 34 degrees C below maximum.

--- Test End Time: 04/22/2015 20:25:20---

System Information
------------------
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Processor Information: Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Number of Physical Cores: 4
Number of Logical Cores: 8
Installed System Memory: 8 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Graphics Information: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
System Product: Z97X-UD5H
System BIOS: F8

Last edited:
Final update on this "issue" and I'll let this thread die.

I've finally installed my overboard water cooling system and my temps are *much* better. upper 59-64C long term under BOINC with full load on all 8 "cores". At least I now have the headroom to push 4.4 on all cores and possibly higher (not likely though).

</thread>

Back