i7 4790k price are ''falling''

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
I wish to upgrade my rig and looked at a 4790k all summer , now the price has hits a sub 300$ in canada ( woop woop) and even the price of ddr3 is slightly lower.

Is it still a worthy upgrade even with the new cpu release?

Yes.

It's the best currently for the mainstream intel market, with prices failing even better. Plus u can get more usability in its relvant lifespan

If you're building a single/dual-card gaming rig, then yeah. The 4790K's higher clockspeed will trump the extra cores and cache

If you're running hot and heavy on content creation (Photoshop, video production, etc), spinning out VMs and the like or set up a stupid-high-end Tri/Quad SLI/Crossfire, then the H-E chips and x99 are a better (if more expensive) bet.

Yes.

It's the best currently for the mainstream intel market, with prices failing even better. Plus u can get more usability in its relvant lifespan

This. The 4790k is still the go-to gaming processor right now. The x99 platform is only really useful if you do CPU intensive productivity work, at which case the 5820k hits a good price/performance breakpoint - 6 cores for ~350, but still a premium for DDR4 and mobo.

The 4790k will be cheaper and faster than haswell-E in all but the most heavily multithreaded, CPU intensive games (battlefield, ARMA), and even then the performance difference is tiny.

4790k's performance advantage in games is due to its high out the box clockspeed. That gap goes away once haswell-e is overclocked.

If all you do is play games, the 4790k is an excellent choice.

If all you do is game there isn't much reason to go past the i5. If you really wanted an i7 Haswell get one and get a Z97 board.

looks like tigerdirect.ca pumped the price back to 340

:/

but is an i5 worthy upgrade from my x58 i7 960?

Possibly, if you get a really nice OC out of a 4670/4690. If you have a Micro Center near you, you can grab a 4790k/Z97 combo for ~$400. In all honesty if you plan on keeping up with upcoming titles, the HT is going to help. I might do that myself and use the money I saved to pick up a closed loop as well.

If you only game, the i5 probably is not worth the the cost for the whole new platform unless you really want the native USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb. You're looking at $350-400 for a new Z87/97 mobo and the 4670/90K for what will probably not net you more than a few frames, if that.

If you do lots of multi threaded work then it definitely isn't as the 4670/90K are 4C/4T instead of 4C/8T like the i7 960. Though by the same token, if you only game and are looking for a budget upgrade the i5 makes more sense than the i7 but note the above commentary...you would have to really, really want the newer USB and SATA revisions to justify the marginal performance difference for $350-400

Don't give Intel more money for providing you with sub-par upgrades for the past five years. That will be rewarding them for holding out on all of us due to AMD's failure with Bulldozer. The IPC gains since Nehalem have been terrible, and clockspeed has actually fallen off since Sandy Bridge. That is unacceptable and means that Intel absolutely does not deserve your dollar.

Your 960 has plenty of mileage left. Clock it up to 3.6-3.8 with a reasonable air cooler and it will do great for you. Wait for Intel to provide a reasonably-priced, unlocked 8 core cpu before rewarding them with your dollar.

If you must upgrade, buy a used processor from an [H] user so that you don't give Intel money for nothing.

Not true. Many games scale well beyond 4 threads now.

Sure, when running low resolutions. These games are still gpu bound which means upgrading passed an i3 well net you no real noticeable differences.

And how many is many? It's still rare to see a game scale more than two threads.

Sure, when running low resolutions. These games are still gpu bound which means upgrading passed an i3 well net you no real noticeable differences.

And how many is many? It's still rare to see a game scale more than two threads.

He probably means recent games, most do scale beyond 4 cores now. As you mentioned we just don't really see the impact because at high resolution a lot of games are still GPU bound... unless you have 3x Titans or something.

Also, the new consoles have 8 cores, in order to get the most out of those systems developers have finally been forced to scale beyond 4 cores. So basically any new console ports will use those extra cores.

Partially true with the console cores.

They aren't forced to use those 8 cores, they also don't have access to all 8 cores. Xbox One used to have 6 cores available, same with the PS4 to the actual game.

I would like to know how many cores the first round of games on those consoles are actually using. Based off of the Engine on some of them, I doubt they are scaling past 2.

What I meant is that in order to get the most out of the platforms, they will have to. Especially since X1/PS4 CPU is pretty weak and devs don't have the luxury of relying on just two cores with a high clockspeed like they do on PC.

He probably means recent games, most do scale beyond 4 cores now. As you mentioned we just don't really see the impact because at high resolution a lot of games are still GPU bound... unless you have 3x Titans or something.

Also, the new consoles have 8 cores, in order to get the most out of those systems developers have finally been forced to scale beyond 4 cores. So basically any new console ports will use those extra cores.

You mean, a few select high profile games scale past 4 cores. Not most. Not even close.

I wish to upgrade my rig and looked at a 4790k all summer , now the price has hits a sub 300$ in canada ( woop woop) and even the price of ddr3 is slightly lower.

Is it still a worthy upgrade even with the new cpu release?

Can you show me where to get a 4790K in Canada sub $300?

You mean, a few select high profile games scale past 4 cores. Not most. Not even close.

This.

And I agree with all the sentiments in this thread -- if the primary purpose is for gaming, 4790K's clockspeed will do you more good than the extra cores. The extra PCIe lanes are completely useless unless you plan on going tri-Sli/XFire, Check out this test where they found that even between PCIe 2.0 x8 and 3.0 x16 there is minimal or zero difference.

This is what it boils down to for me when recommending the mainstream Intel platform to the enthusiast Intel platform; what do you hold significant.

Mainstream:
-You want the latest and greatest Proprietary Motherboard feature set
-High clocked out of the box
-Budget

Enthusiast:
-You want the max out of your cpu tech
-Max DDRX channels and freq
-Max amount of PCI channels
-Don`t focus on budget

279.99 4790k just picked one up US side

If anyone near a Microcenter can wait, they usually have a great cpu deal or two the week before thanksgiving or the day before or after thanksgiving. The last two years it was the week before.

I hope so. Last year I picked up 3 4770k for $200 each at microcenter. They were terrible overclockers but it was definitely worth it.

Back