i7-4770 $313 + ship @ rakuten/buy.com

Shame they don't have a DZ87KL-75K to along with it... I might pull the trigger.

Wonder why whenever that rakuten company bought out buy.com they changed the name to the wierd one not just keep the simple one.

Wait... I didn't think Intel even officially released Haswell yet?

Non k model though... and not sure why this is in Hot Deals? There's nothing hot about it.

I believe Intel did cripple the K models in some way, I think it lacks TSX? Can't remember exactly, there may be other things crippled as well.

I couldn't resist, i bit. We'll see what happens. (I don't OC anymore, don't really need the K)

This important/necessary?
Important yes. Necessary no.

TSX helps improve multi threading performance quite a bit but the software has to be coded for it to work. "Old" software won't benefit at all. 4770K doesn't support TSX which is retarded/dickish of Intel.

Its enforced product segmentation by Intel. Supposedly they're worried sysadmins would buy up 4770K's and slap them into servers, after OC'ing them of course, which would hurt Xeon sales. If you know anything about the corporate server sale/admin environment and how CYA ingrained + risk adverse it is you'd know how LOL-worthy such a thought would be.

Important yes. Necessary no.

TSX helps improve multi threading performance quite a bit but the software has to be coded for it to work. "Old" software won't benefit at all. 4770K doesn't support TSX which is retarded/dickish of Intel.

New question, how much of today's software is coded for it (OS, games, anti-virus, anti-malware, encryption software, browsers, etc)? Is this a huge hit? Just not familiar with the details and want to get a good grasp of the fuckery. Have a percentage of day to day code that uses this? Thanks

Waiting for microcenter to have deals on the Intel Haswell CPUs. They have done so since the 2500k generation.

With bclk OC, it may not make much of a difference this time around.

I tried to explain this on several forums when they first introduced the K series with Lynnfield. You won't need a K series chip with Haswell unless you want to pay more for fewer features. People generally don't understand budget overclocking these days but at least I'll end up saving ~$100.

New question, how much of today's software is coded for it (OS, games, anti-virus, anti-malware, encryption software, browsers, etc)? Is this a huge hit? Just not familiar with the details and want to get a good grasp of the fuckery. Have a percentage of day to day code that uses this? Thanks

I would expect very close to 0% of todays software will support TSX although I do see some mentions of the linux kernel adding support for this. Not like most users will be using that though.

The main issue with K series chips is disabling VT-D, so no passthrough virtualization. That has always pissed me off, especially with the MC deals on K chips. That is so annoying for home lab builds.

They also have 20% back in their "super points" with code "MEMORIAL", in this case giving you $67 to spend two weeks after it ships. Its not the instant gratification of microcenter but its nice for those nowhere near one.

I tried to explain this on several forums when they first introduced the K series with Lynnfield. You won't need a K series chip with Haswell unless you want to pay more for fewer features. People generally don't understand budget overclocking these days but at least I'll end up saving ~$100.

I'm hoping that we can get near 5Hz+ out of the non-K 4770. If it happens, I'm buying it, if not my 3770 will be just fine until Haswell-E.
My current 3770 OC to 4.4GHz, most people with K CPus reach 4.5-4.7GHz. The performance difference is negligible.
Saved money passing on the 3770K and got more features.

With bclk OC, it may not make much of a difference this time around.

There is no guarantee that Intel is allowing BCLK overclocking on the non-K models, and there have actually been rumors that Intel is locking down BCLK overclocking on non-K models, leaving only K models with any sort of overclockability, again.

There is no guarantee that Intel is allowing BCLK overclocking on the non-K models, and there have actually been rumors that Intel is locking down BCLK overclocking on non-K models, leaving only K models with any sort of overclockability, again.

False. My i7 3770 reaches 4.4GHz on all cores using BCLK OC. It's also known that the i7 3820 can OC very high also.
I wouldn't put much stock into those rumors. The multi can be locked, the BCLK is free game.

False. My i7 3770 reaches 4.4GHz on all cores using BCLK OC. It's also known that the i7 3820 can OC very high also.
I wouldn't put much stock into those rumors. The multi can be locked, the BCLK is free game.

Okay, maybe I wasn't being clear enough.

BCLK can be adjusted on any platform. Due to the BCLK also providing the clock in SB, IB, and Hasweel for the PCI-E, SATA, and USB clocks, it cannot be adjusted far outside of 100 mhz. Typically it can be adjusted from 95 to 105, with lucky ones possibly reaching 110. Beyond that, non-K i7 models have the 4 multiplier bin + 4 multiplier turbo, allowing a max overclock of (base multiplier + 8) * 110. A truly unlocked BCLK would be like what was present on Nehalem, you can adjust it to any value as long as the motherboard and CPU and RAM can handle it (stock is 133, can be adjusted to 220+ in Mhz increments). Any 3770k is capable of hitting 4.4 ghz. 99% of them are capable of hitting 4.6 ghz. The locked down BCLK and multiplier prevents the 3770 from reaching its max overclock potential.

The i7 3820 makes use of BCLK straps. It multiplies the BCLK by a multiplier ratio before sending the BCLK signal to the CPU and RAM. The ratios are 1.0, 1.25, and 1.66. This is NOT fully adjustable BCLK, and is what would be used in Haswell to allow "BCLK" overclocking. It is not guaranteed that Intel will allow these straps in non-K Haswell models, since they can lock it down. In fact, it is locked down for 2011 Xeon models, Xeon models can only do that (base multiplier + 8) * 110 like the non-K IB and SB CPUs.

Back