i7-3770k good for a build designed for 4 years or so?

sed8em

2[H]4U
I'm getting a Gigabyte Z77 motherboard as an xmas present and am trying to decide on a CPU to get that will last me for the next 3 or 4 years.

I live near a Microcenter, which has the i5-3570k for $190, and the i7-3770k for $230.

I mostly do some PC games (games like Skyrim, Starcraft 2, League of Legends and Torchlight 2). I also like to use Lightroom 4 for processing my DSLR images and once I'm done with my licensing exams and have some free time I would like to learn how to use Photoshop CS6 and other photo programs such as Kolor Autopano and Photomatix Pro.

Most reviews comparing the i5 to the i7 say that mostly video and rendering programs benefit from the hyperthreading and additional cache of the i7, and games and most photo programs do not see as much benefit.
However, I'm trying to think long term, my gut is telling me i7 would probably be best considering its only $40 more. Any advice from the experts here?

Got all out, considering that "all out" means only extra $40...
I live near MC as well, and though I already have the [email protected], the 3770k for $230 is a mighty temping deal....;)

Take the 3770k. You'll not be cpu limited for the incomming years. You'll need to change the GPU before the CPU. Just switch from a Phenom II 940BE to a i5 2500k, was my best move. Like you said, the HT not help for gaming but will help for video and photo encoding.

Got all out, considering that "all out" means only extra $40...
I live near MC as well, and though I already have the [email protected], the 3770k for $230 is a mighty temping deal....;)

Thats pretty much what I'm thinking. $40 more to get the best of the Z77 era motheboards isn't a big sticker price.
I figure that CPU OC'ed to 4.2 to 4.4 ghz with my Hyper 212+ will last awhile.

How is this RAM to pair with it? Corsair Vengeance 16gb 1600mhz

Take the 3770k. You'll not be cpu limited for the incomming years. You'll need to change the GPU before the CPU. Just switch from a Phenom II 940BE to a i5 2500k, was my best move. Like you said, the HT not help for gaming but will help for video and photo encoding.

I'm planning a GPU upgrade next spring. My GTX 460 is still keeping me happy since I don't game much at all while I've been studying for my exams. Once I start work in the spring I'll have enough cash and free time to get something along the lines of a GTX 660 Ti. I don't game enough or care enough to spend $400 on a GPU though.

Thats pretty much what I'm thinking. $40 more to get the best of the Z77 era motheboards isn't a big sticker price.
I figure that CPU OC'ed to 4.2 to 4.4 ghz with my Hyper 212+ will last awhile.

How is this RAM to pair with it? Corsair Vengeance 16gb 1600mhz

RAM is good. I went with the BallisticX for a little less $$$. No biggie though.
Also, with that cooler you should be able to pull 4.5GHz easy, with room to spare (temperature wise).

I think you would be safe with the Intel® Core™ i7-3770K as a processor for gaming/editing system for 4 years.

Get the 3770K. I did, and for the exact same reason - hopefully a little more longevity than a non-HT part.

Doubtful I need it over the i5-K since I 90% game, 10% email and www, but ya never know. I figure the extra $100 I spent on it over the 3570K is a small price to pay over the course of 5-6 years that I typically go between upgrades.

I agree with the 3770K recommendation, with the usual caveat that the K version doesn't have some features that the non-K version has, in case there was something there you'd be someday interested in... virtualization, e.g.

Nah, don't need virtualization. Purely a home use system. More interested in raw speed for games and Lightroom.
This will be my first build using higher end parts. Kind of excited. Been a student my whole life up until last Saturday, so I will finally be able to build something sweet that can last for awhile.

I think you would be safe with the Intel® Core™ i7-3770K as a processor for gaming/editing system for 4 years.

Yeah, given that most computers are used for at least three years on average before the next upgrade, and that most software and games in use today don't see benefits beyond 4 threads, you may as well get the best processor you can afford for your needs now than upgrade in a year.

My last computer lasted four years-- Phenom II X4 805-- before I upgraded to a Core i7 processor. That'll last me another three or four years unless by some miracle software developers get off their hiney and start making programs more multi-threaded between now and the end of next year. :p

Got the 3770k installed yesterday. Put on my Cooler Master Hyper 212+ today along with some IC Diamond 24 carat paste.
Overclocked the 3770k to 4.5ghz, most simple overclock I've ever done, loving it.

Didn't do any extensive tests, too busy, but did a AIDA64 burn/stability CPU test. At 100% load the 3770k highest temp was 75 C, and typically hovered around 72 C.
Idle temps with the cooling setup are 34 to 36 C.
Don't think I'm going to bother with a Corsair Hydro cooler, don't see the need as the Hyper 212+ is doing the job just fine.

Hmm, just got a 2600K, wondering if I should've spent more for a 3770K... (2600K not here yet, but got it for $200) [and I apologize in advance for thread jacking a bit.]

Hmm, just got a 2600K, wondering if I should've spent more for a 3770K... (2600K not here yet, but got it for $200) [and I apologize in advance for thread jacking a bit.]

Lots of folks actually prefer the 2600k part due to the IHS tim.

Lots of folks actually prefer the 2600k part due to the IHS tim.

I'll agree to an extent...having fluxless solder under the IHS on IB would have been the physically smarter thing to do, but money talks and bullshit walks.

I suppose in reality, most 2600K/2700K processors will achieve 4.5-4.8 GHz, with the "golden egg" lottery winners being able to go higher than that with a Vcore suited for 24/7 use. IB i7-K's will typically get to 4.3-4.6 GHz, which translates to having an equivalent SB at 4.5-4.8 GHz anyway, thanks to the slightly higher IPC of IB.

well depends what these new consoles are like that are comming out next year or whenever.

Good choice on the 3770k. Also if you've already bought the 2600k, don't waste your money upgrading. Put it in a piggy bank for your next upgrade when another generation or two of processors are out.

got a 2600k in my system now and a 3770k. strongly considering just keeping the 2600k in atm.

Sandy Bridge has been out for 2 years already and I see no need in the near future (Haswell or Broadwell) that would force the need for anyone to upgrade. Even the old Nehalem processors are rocking solid and I'm still using the Q9550 without seeing any reason other than preference when it comes to needing an upgrade.

Grab the 3770K and you'll be set for 4 years. CPU's will probably be focusing more on the iGPU for the next 4 years over raw power anyways.

got a 2600k in my system now and a 3770k. strongly considering just keeping the 2600k in atm.

I suppose that would depend on what the rest of your system specs are. If you have a Z77 MoBo, then I'd swap to the 3770K to be a more future prepared with things like PCIE 3.0 and whatnot. But, I am one that goes about 4-6 years between system overhauls. If you upgrade more frequently and are planning on getting Haswell/Broadwell, then stick with the 2600K, as there's no real good sense in tearing things apart for zero to miniscule gains that you'd only be able to see in synthetic benchmarks anyway.

Back