i7-2600K on M4E, low vCore but hot!

Adam1203

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

Long story short, I RMA'd my original i7-2600K in hopes to get a better OC'er as my original couldn't hit 5Ghz no matter how much vCore I through at it.

The replacement processor I got is a Costa Rica version and can hit 5Ghz stable on 1.44 vCore. What is strange is that the temps hit 75 - 77C load.... and I'm under water.

Does that seem strange to anyone? Could it be because it's on the Maximus board, or maybe because it's from the CR plant and not Malay?

My other processor on the M4E would load at about 65C running at 4.9 with about 1.48 vCore.

Thoughts?

Already replied to you in the other thread, and am waiting for feedback.
BTW you should be careful about posting the same topic twice in diffferent forums on the same site. That's considered spamming...

How did you RMA an undefective/undead CPU? Doesn't Intel test the CPU to make sure it's as what you claim, if not, they will just sends it back to you.

Hey everyone,

Long story short, I RMA'd my original i7-2600K in hopes to get a better OC'er as my original couldn't hit 5Ghz no matter how much vCore I through at it.

The replacement processor I got is a Costa Rica version and can hit 5Ghz stable on 1.44 vCore. What is strange is that the temps hit 75 - 77C load.... and I'm under water.

Does that seem strange to anyone? Could it be because it's on the Maximus board, or maybe because it's from the CR plant and not Malay?

My other processor on the M4E would load at about 65C running at 4.9 with about 1.48 vCore.

Thoughts?
This is just me, but I find it rather annoying when I hear things like this. I know [H] strives to get the best out of their hardware, but RMA'ing parts just because a 2600k wont reach 5.0ghz? Common really?

Yeah, RMA'ing a bad cpu is pretty unethical. I mean, if you try to sell it on hardforum, ebay, etc, then everyone here would support you, and some might even buy the cpu from you if you're honest with how far it clocks and you price it attractively, but if you choose to RMA a working chip, it's best NOT to tell anyone. Just do it and hush about it.

That being said, years ago, when I was tossing cash like it was water, I had a horrible clocking P4 and I deliberately electro man'd the chip in anger, to RMA it. I'm not going to feel bad about that, because I later spent $900 on a P4 EE from ebay. WORST purchase I ever made in my life. So, yeah. I'm guilty too. At least the QX9650 I bought had some purpose, since the P5WDH had very limited fsb with quads, and the UD3P wasn't out yet...

That being said, I have my bad clocking (1.48v+ at 5 ghz) 2600k sitting out, and I'm going to give that to a friend. And I sold both of my qx9650's on ebay (made the money back on the second one I bought, as I paid $280 for that and sold it for $267, because the mainboard died...)

This is what makes places start to charge restocking fees, pretty lame to do. Rma something that worked exactly to its specifications.

Back