i7 2600K Expected Temps on Air

zaxour

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't really found any good info for this on the net, so I figured we could share the info here.

I have a Venomous X with 2 Cooler Master Blademaster fans in Push/Pull and get about 78C on my hottest core @ 4.8GHz/1.4V. Part of the reason I created this thread was to compare and see if maybe I need to reapply my paste.

I'm getting 60-61C on the stock air cooler at 4.8GHz in-game. vCore is set to 1.416 per the official ASUS OC thread.

With 1.4v through it, 78* is not out of line and relatively normal. My 4.8GHz on 1.35v was in the mid 70's with the Noctua P12's on my H70 (low 70's with the stock Corsair fans but I couldn't stand their noise). Was Prime95 stable at those settings but occasionally crashed during gaming so I bumped it up to 1.375 and also enabled PLL overvolting and now my max load temps is about 76/77* so it's right in line with yours.

If I back it down to 4.6-4.7GHz on 1.3v or less, temps never get past high 60's in Prime95. But I'm cool with anything under 80* load because I never do anything that would tax the CPU like that in everyday life.

I haven't really found any good info for this on the net, so I figured we could share the info here.

I have a Venomous X with 2 Cooler Master Blademaster fans in Push/Pull and get about 78C on my hottest core @ 4.8GHz/1.4V. Part of the reason I created this thread was to compare and see if maybe I need to reapply my paste.

78c sounds about right with those voltages.

Not yet. I'm waiting for the mounting bracket for my Dark Knight before I bother, don't really see the point in stressing on the stock hsf.

When you guys say "100%/Full Load," which test are you using?

When I say full load, I refer to Prime95 Small FFT and the FFT size is 16K. Normally it starts at 8K and peaks at 16K. I've found that it heats things up quite a bit.

Agree, Prime95 gets mine much hotter than LinX / IBT. Wondering if it is worth putting a second fan on my Venomous-X, getting mid 70s with 4.8 @ 1.4V.

For those who are using the Venomous X or TRUE, what paste and application method did you use?

With 212+ push/pull [email protected], was getting high 70C with room temp of 23C. OP, temp seems normal.

People need to also include room temp so we know what your starting point is. A person with 15C room temp would have much lower number than someone with 23C using the same setup.

100% load | 56*C | 4.5 GHz | 1.3v | Hyper 212+ |

You live in an igloo? I have that same setup and at those speeds I am in the mid 70's with Prime95. My room temp on average is about 68 F or 20 C.

For those who are using the Venomous X or TRUE, what paste and application method did you use?

100% load | 62*C | 4.7 GHz | 1.35v | TRUE | AS5 | FT01

I did a sloppy job. Put a rice grain of paste on the IHS, then pulled the cooler off because I had to change its orientation. Said "F it" and put another rice grain of paste on the cooler and slapped it back on. Regardless, I'm happy with my temps and am not going to obsess with re-applying.

I did notice that the surface of my TRUE is pretty poor. There are noticeable circular grooves that will catch a cotton swab when I clean paste off. Again, the temps are fine so I'm not going to concern myself with lapping it.

I ran a short line of MX-3 (I think it was) down the middle, then put the cooler on. Only thing that bothers me is that the cooler still rotates, even with maximum pressure dialed in. I think I'm going to reseat it - I may have too much paste in there.

Case makes a big difference as well.

I have a decent case, coolermaster HAF 922. I'm beginning to think I went about applying the AS5 the wrong way with this HS. After reading some, it seems that you don't actually use the traditional method of applying the compound to the CPU but rather the HS itself??? Is this the new preferred method?

Just for reference: Full load on my 2600k using Folding@Home = 59 C using Archon cooler @ stock voltage @ 4.6Ghz... will post some prime numbers once I get the data

I have a decent case, coolermaster HAF 922. I'm beginning to think I went about applying the AS5 the wrong way with this HS. After reading some, it seems that you don't actually use the traditional method of applying the compound to the CPU but rather the HS itself??? Is this the new preferred method?

Apply it to the CPU - the conventional wisdom has moved away from the old, spread it around before you place the cooler model to the new, just place a dot/line and let the clamping force of the cooler spread the TIM out across the CPU. Supposedly this helps eliminate bubbles and creates a more efficient contact.

Apply it to the CPU - the conventional wisdom has moved away from the old, spread it around before you place the cooler model to the new, just place a dot/line and let the clamping force of the cooler spread the TIM out across the CPU. Supposedly this helps eliminate bubbles and creates a more efficient contact.

Thanks Forceman, Took your advice and it cooled down about 6C. Of course when I turned it back on my P67 Pro would only recognize my RAM as 1333 no matter what I did in the BIOS... such a temperamental bitch! Cleared the CMOS and all is good.

I ran a short line of MX-3 (I think it was) down the middle, then put the cooler on. Only thing that bothers me is that the cooler still rotates, even with maximum pressure dialed in. I think I'm going to reseat it - I may have too much paste in there.

The rotation is normal, the surface is very smooth and the paste reduces friction between the heatsink base and IHS.

The rotation is normal, the surface is very smooth and the paste reduces friction between the heatsink base and IHS.

Yeah, still doesn't seem right (coming from the old days where the heatsink was bolted down in more than one place).

I know this thread is about AIR cooling but I thought I would interject (for comparison reasons) to help you compare to a more active method of cooling. Maybe it will help the folks participating in this thread know whether or not their AIR coolers are acting in an efficient manner compared to a true water cooled platform.

I am running stable @ 4.9ghz 1.41 volts using a Swiftech waterblock, 2 fan radiator, and a host of other parts.

My average temps I have been recording are:
(No speedstepping)
Idle: 34C
Full Load: Highest ever was 67C (to be honest I am not sure if this is good for water cooled since this is my first water cooled PC I have overclocked this high)

Full load is defined as: All 4 physical cores and 4 HyperThread Units fully active at 90% or greater running back to back test of Intel Burn Test 2.5. (minimum of 4 test in very high mode.

Hope this helps with comparisons!

Prime95 seems to heat my chip up a lot more than IBT does (although I don't know that I've tried very high mode). Those temps seem to track with what high-end air produces, which is pretty consistent with what I've seen elsewhere. Nice overclock, by the way.

I cleaned off my OCZ Freeze paste and put on some good old Arctic Silver 5.....Temps @ 4.7GHz/1.4V(Load) on Prime95 Large FFT have dropped 8-9 C. Max I have seen after running for 6 minutes is 69 C, and that's before it has even cured.

Prime95 seems to heat my chip up a lot more than IBT does (although I don't know that I've tried very high mode). Those temps seem to track with what high-end air produces, which is pretty consistent with what I've seen elsewhere. Nice overclock, by the way.

I just got done re-pasting my Diamond-7 or whatever its called. I had a bad coat from the last application and I cleaned it all off and reapplied.

This run of Prime 95 is yielding an average full load temp of 64-65c. That is using the option for 8 threads / MAX heat production.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give my results. The stock cooler was terrible. I was hitting around 90c with that thing. So I went and tried a corsair a50. My temps with around [email protected] were hitting 75-78c. I tried reapply the paste like 3x and resetting never really got any better.

So now I'm on a corsair h50 with [email protected] and the first few tests I've run seem to keep my temps around 67-70c on full load. Not sure if this is good for a a50 but I'm just going to leave it for now... I've been messing around with it for like 4days and havent had time to enjoy it! :D

Figuring those temps shouldnt be too bad?

Sorry that should read the corsair h50.... so i went from the A50 to h50. I actually had the A70 but the ram blocks the fan in the front so I could only use one fan and it was blowing out.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give my results. The stock cooler was terrible. I was hitting around 90c with that thing. So I went and tried a corsair a50. My temps with around [email protected] were hitting 75-78c. I tried reapply the paste like 3x and resetting never really got any better.

So now I'm on a corsair a50 with [email protected] and the first few tests I've run seem to keep my temps around 67-70c on full load. Not sure if this is good for a a50 but I'm just going to leave it for now... I've been messing around with it for like 4days and havent had time to enjoy it! :D

Figuring those temps shouldnt be too bad?

This was from Hard's evaluation:

1284772486wMrwAY3OTU_3_2.png

Seems like it's in line with those results, since my Ven-X gets 62C max at 1.3/4.5.

To the people who are just listing one temperature, are you picking the temperature of the coolest core or what?

I cleaned off my OCZ Freeze paste and put on some good old Arctic Silver 5.....Temps @ 4.7GHz/1.4V(Load) on Prime95 Large FFT have dropped 8-9 C. Max I have seen after running for 6 minutes is 69 C, and that's before it has even cured.

On what? the coolest core? The average of all the cores?

This was from Hard's evaluation:

1284772486wMrwAY3OTU_3_2.png

Seems like it's in line with those results, since my Ven-X gets 62C max at 1.3/4.5.

This is cool but what is the speed of the overclock these temps apply too? Doesnt help unless we know that.

Back